PDA

View Full Version : All in one tank

waelaase
08/30/2011, 07:53 AM
Hello,
I have a 1.5x0.5x0.7 m long tank, that i want to make it reef aquarium
the problem i have no place for sump or refuge, so i decided to make an All in One tank
so i'll take about 30 cm from the tank to make it sump/refuge
here is the design i'm thinking of

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5019&pictureid=34828

the idea is the water move from the display part to refuge and skimmer area
then from the skimmer area to the refuge
then from refuge to the return pump and then back to the tank
i have 2 tunze pumps with 7906 controller that i'll use
i'll go with 2 island design

all recommendations are appreciated

waelaase
08/30/2011, 12:12 PM
i intend to start working on it next weekend

any ideas or comments about the sump/refuge design?

peppie
08/30/2011, 05:59 PM
Looks like a good design. Be sure to have your return pump and your skimmer on hand before you size the chambers. Remember you need to get your hand in the return area to do maint.
I would also add a media basket to set above your return pump.

waelaase
08/31/2011, 07:40 AM
Hello Peppie,

thank you for the reply, i already have an old skimmer and return pump
also i'm also thinking of adding a carbon bag over the skimmer pump area, and it will have also filter media basket also there

coralnut99
08/31/2011, 09:16 AM
Just a quick +1 on the issue of space constraints. Drawing it up on paper may make sense.......on paper. But once you have to stick your hand in there to retrieve something or remove something for maintenance, it may no longer make sense. If the tank is empty, try using pieces of cardboard to simulate the panels you want to install, and then place the equipment in those areas. Then simulate retrieving something, or removing the equipment for maintenance. This is not the kind of thing you want do on paper and find it causes issues after it's filled with water.

waelaase
08/31/2011, 09:59 AM
Hello Coralnut99
this is what i intend to do this weekend
i'll try to simulate adding and removing equipment
thank you

coralnut99
08/31/2011, 10:16 AM
It's actually a recommendation so you don't experience what I've been guilty of far too many times. The only thing I left out was the sketch. I would simply give everything a good look, take out the ruler or tape measure and think I've conquered the problem when I've placed everything where it "fits". The fact something "fits" doesn't make it convenient or serviceable. The true long term problem is that it inevitably makes you dread servicing things in those cramped spaces and maintenance gets put further and further off.

peppie
08/31/2011, 08:26 PM
coralnutt

That is a very good point. I too made that mistake " Once" my next 2 AIOs were full scale mock ups with all plumbing attached

Jreid35
08/31/2011, 09:18 PM
VERY TIMELY POST, Thanks.
As we are in the development stages of a 20 Gal Long Sump for our current 29 Gal DT with plans to expand the DT to 40 Gal Breeder once the sump is up & running. Then once the 40 Gal DT is functioning well with the sump I'll be doing a "Build To Suit" A I O for the nightstand in the bedroom.
Thanks again for sharing the experience.

waelaase
01/26/2012, 03:38 PM
Hello all,
an update to the tank as it's almost 6 months now and i moved allot to it
i have water goes to refuge then from it to skimmer and then to return pump
i have currently the following problems:
1- i have allot of brown powder and dirt in the refuge part under and over rocks
2- have allot of algae on the front glass of refuge so i dont enjoy it (have allot of little pods on the glass so i cannot clean it to not lose them)
3- as water goes to refuge i dont think pods goes to tank
4- the water surface on refuge seems not moving (solved by tunze making wave effect)

i'm not sure how to solve the first problem but i have some ideas
1- make the water goes to skimmer first and then refuge and then to return (this means have to rebuild this area)
2- add divider in refuge and fill it with sponge to clean water

what you think

will take some pictures in the weekend and post it