PDA

View Full Version : glass thickness for rimless tank 24" high

super1man
08/30/2011, 01:30 PM
glass thickness for rimless tank 24" high?

was thinking 3/4 should work. tank will be 72"x48"x24" hight with about 22" water heigh. going to use 1" bottom.

jcgd
08/30/2011, 03:36 PM
I know 3/4" on a 72x24x24" is rock solid when rimless. So I would think it would just cut it being 48" wide. If you don't want a center brace, 1" glass on the front and back panes might be wise.

NanoReefWanabe
08/30/2011, 07:56 PM
12mm (1/2") is all you need for a rimless tank with less then 24" of water in it...the length and width of the tank dont really factor into the thickness of the glass, if you wanted to be more then safe 15mm would be overkill...1" (24mm) bottom (ridiculously expensive) or 1/2" (12mm) bottom with a 1/2" (12mm) euro brace would be essential though..

Stercus Accidit
11/10/2011, 08:23 PM
sorry if digging this thread up is frowned upon, but I have a very similar question and didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I just acquired a 72x24x20, only 16" is view-able but am starting to see that if I could eliminate the top trim I would get almost an extra 2" of glass! My question is... is 1/2" glass that is 1/2" wide enough for a euro brace? AND can it be in 4 pieces or does it all need to be one piece? The front and rear pieces running the full length of the tank and the two sides sandwiched between?

TY

whipsaw
11/10/2011, 09:59 PM
If I'm undertanding you you're saying 1/2"x1/2" square glass rod for internal top bracing?

those dimensions should be almost- but not entirely- useless for preventing bowing of the long glass.

noobtothereef
11/10/2011, 10:47 PM
12mm (1/2") is all you need for a rimless tank with less then 24" of water in it...the length and width of the tank dont really factor into the thickness of the glass, if you wanted to be more then safe 15mm would be overkill...1" (24mm) bottom (ridiculously expensive) or 1/2" (12mm) bottom with a 1/2" (12mm) euro brace would be essential though..

My friend has a 48x48x24(240g) rimless built with 1/2" glass and has a 1/2" bottom with 1/2" bottom euro bracing, the sides have alot of deflection, the length does factor in it, the longer the panel the more deflection it has , this is what causes seams to fail by tearing starting at the inside corner working its way out, it will start as white squiggly lines and continue to get larger until the seam fails. When i build a tank i dont want any chance of anything happening, i dont want to be sitting at work and wondering if my tank will be empty when i get home and my house destroyed. 3/4" glass is expensive but i would do it right the first time.

Stercus Accidit
11/11/2011, 07:59 AM
Ok, so what I am asking, since I am completely new to all of this, is what should I be using? 1/2" thick glass with a width of 1" OR should I be using 3/4" thick glass with a width of 1" all around? Do I need to go wider than 1" all around?

Stercus Accidit
11/11/2011, 09:05 AM
so after some more research, which hasn't wielded much in answers, it seems like I would need to have 1/2" thick glass with a width of 3" flush mounted to the top of the tank. Could the bracing be placed on top of the tank or does it really need to be flushed inside?

You would think there would be a calculator for this somewhere... lol

although, if I am running tempered glass maybe I could use 3/8" think and still have the 3" width. The other side of all this is now I have to consider a different type of over flow, like a beananimal ; )

***** My apologies, I just realized everyone is talking rimless...man I feel like a noob...oh , wait...****** guess I should start a new thread in the noob section for this