PDA

View Full Version : Cycle: do I need lights?

flyhigh123
08/30/2011, 04:52 PM
Do I need lights to cycle my tank?

sporto0
08/30/2011, 05:00 PM
Quite simply put, no.

flyhigh123
08/30/2011, 05:01 PM
i havent cycled a tank in 5 years so i dont remember anymore... will the diatom bloom still happen without the lights?

aecasasus
08/30/2011, 05:02 PM
Nope! No lights needed... Better off without them.

Tim gixxerman
08/30/2011, 06:44 PM
No lights and no skimmer!!!!!!!

snorvich
08/30/2011, 08:42 PM
No lights and no skimmer!!!!!!!

Especially no skimmer.

hollister
08/30/2011, 08:45 PM
No lights needed but its a good time to accumulate your tank to the lights.

Start with an hour or 2 and add a little time every day until desired time met.

flyhigh123
08/30/2011, 08:54 PM
No skimmer??? Sure? It's foaming up a lot.

Tim gixxerman
08/30/2011, 11:56 PM
No skimmer??? Sure? It's foaming up a lot.

But that is the stuff you want in there for the cycling process. ( unless your where being sarcastic, then never mind!):lol:

frankpayne32
08/31/2011, 07:09 AM
Why would you not want to use a skimmer? That sounds very counter-intuitive. You don't want tons of nutrients in there as the oscillations in the cycle will be extreme. The whole goal of "cycling" is to get your oscillations as minimal as possible. Not having a skimmer would probably extend that process.

castaway
08/31/2011, 04:06 PM
A skimmer will just prolong the cycle time.

jdantunes
08/31/2011, 04:25 PM
I guess it depends...

I started cycling my tank three weeks ago. My goal is 12 weeks. I'm using all dry rock. I read in another thread, were one hobbyist turn his supplement light 4 hours a day, only to get Coraline growth.

I know that I need a rock full of Coraline algae to seed the rest of the rock, but other than good building elements in the water, I guess the light is also necessary to grow Coraline.

Tim gixxerman
08/31/2011, 05:40 PM
The only way in know how to tell ya is your kinda trying to crash your tank, so you can make good bacteria to eat the bad. This will turn everything in to harmless gases that escape out the top of your tank.

frankpayne32
09/01/2011, 08:08 AM
A skimmer will just prolong the cycle time.

This doesn't make any sense to me. In my mind a skimmer would shorten the "cycle" time. Which, by the way, a cycle by definition does not have a time as it is continuous. Can someone explain to me why you think a skimmer will prolong the initial "cycle"?

frankpayne32
09/08/2011, 11:36 AM
Anyone able to answer my question from above? I really am curious about this. Apologies to the OP for highjacking, if it's a problem I can start a new thread.

sporto0
09/08/2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone able to answer my question from above? I really am curious about this. Apologies to the OP for highjacking, if it's a problem I can start a new thread.

A skimmer removes organic waste from the water column, since this "waste" is what produces ammonia which starts the nitrogen cycle, it is better to leave it in the tank, the more ammonia = more bacteria colonized simply put. If you remove the food source for the bacteria colony, you may limit it's size & then when you go to put more of a bio-load on it with livestock, you may end up with another cycle because your bacteria can't keep up. A skimmer won't speed up a cycle, but it could leave it incomplete.

kcinnick
09/08/2011, 12:09 PM
Don't worry about using a skimmer, they don't remove enough waste to kill your "cycle" or even retard your cycle.

Mine mostly removed sand particles and the dieing algae bloom from me being silly and using an old light fixture with old bulbs for a few days during a cycle because I was too impatient to wait for my LED's.

sporto0
09/08/2011, 12:35 PM
Don't worry about using a skimmer, they don't remove enough waste to kill your "cycle" or even retard your cycle.

Mine mostly removed sand particles and the dieing algae bloom from me being silly and using an old light fixture with old bulbs for a few days during a cycle because I was too impatient to wait for my LED's.

So even if I agreed with you about the skimmer not pulling enough waste to matter, which I do not, what in your opinion is the advantage gained by running a skimmer during the cycle?