PDA

View Full Version : clarks clownfish

m1nh0h
08/30/2011, 05:56 PM
is it okay to keep a pair of clarks clownfish in a 30 gallon?

elegance coral
08/30/2011, 06:09 PM
I think it depends on the variety of clarkii. Some stay relatively small, so a pair of these would be okay in a 30 gallon, provided there weren't many, if any, other fish. The larger clarkii's, I would not keep in a 30. Members of the clarkii complex are the most mobile of all clowns, IMHO. Their natural territory is much larger than other species, so I believe they need larger tanks to live in. I have kept a very large pair of maroons in a 30 gallon, and they only used half of it. A clarkii in the same sized tank, will be all over it.

Toddrtrex
08/30/2011, 07:12 PM
Similar to what EC said -- I would not try it with any other fish, and would be on the fence about doing it with just the pair -- really depends in the shape of the tank.

deangelr
08/30/2011, 07:17 PM
What would you guys say a safe minimum tank size would be? 40g? 55g?

Toddrtrex
08/30/2011, 07:20 PM
Think a 40 breeder would be great, with a nice sand bed dwelling anemone. Hmmm, makes me want to set up another tank. ;)

elegance coral
08/30/2011, 07:23 PM
What would you guys say a safe minimum tank size would be? 40g? 55g?

I think it depends on the size of the clarkii. Clarkii's vary in size quite a bit. Some get HUGE, and others stay pretty small. The large variety would probably be cramped in a 55.

Toddrtrex
08/30/2011, 07:25 PM
Good point, the last pair I saw were on the small side and gorgeous -- but your comments did make me remember a pair that I saw about 10+ years ago at an LFS, they were bigger then an averaged sized yellow tang.

deangelr
08/30/2011, 07:28 PM
Dang.... I am asking because I would like to setup a system to house 4 pairs of large clownfish... My plan was to use 4 40g breeders on a double rack stand.. However, I am not a good builder.. And, wonder if I wouldn't be better off with large tanks..

deangelr
08/30/2011, 07:30 PM
There are some really credible breeders out there with clowns like clarki, frenatus, ephippium... with really small tanks.

Even M. Wittenrich in his book suggests that tank size does not matter..

:headwally::headwally:

elegance coral
08/30/2011, 07:36 PM
I have a clarkii in a 33 long right now. I've had her for a very long time, and she's been in several different sized tanks. I feed her very well, but she's only about 3". I've seen others that are much larger than mine, but I seriously doubt mine could, or would, ever get that big. She hasn't grown in years.