PDA

View Full Version : hydroids in the tank

m1nh0h
08/30/2011, 07:00 PM
are hydroids harmful only to zoanthoids or other corals as well? i have mostly lps coral and a rose anemone and plan on getting just lps corals

greech
08/30/2011, 07:07 PM
Digitate or colonial? If you mean digitates, I had (and I had a lot early on) didn't do any damage I saw. I would watch them at night and they would often whip and lay on my LPS and zoas. No experience with colonials but from what I read I think you might want to remove them sooner rather than later.

m1nh0h
08/30/2011, 07:16 PM
i dont think they are digitates but theser hydroids were one of the first things to grow in my tank, what are the best ways to removve them?

greech
08/30/2011, 07:42 PM
Digitates are like threads. Colonial kind of look like polyps.

If colonial, really the best thing is to remove the rock they are on all together and dry it out. If you don't want to remove the whole rock and you can get the rock out easily, I would chip the rock off underneath them. They grow deep into the rock and are difficult to remove entirely otherwise. You can put some epoxy putty over them but I can't guarantee they will not pop up somewhere else. Again, no experience with them myself but from what I read they are not to be taken lightly.