PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar in kalk solution causing "carbon dosing" like results?

Chyendra
08/30/2011, 08:55 PM
Months ago, when I was dosing vodka in my mixed reef, the only result seemed to be pale corals and white coraline. After discontinuing vodka dosing, my corals colored up more than ever before. A little while later, I discovered that my SPS were using more Ca and carbonate than my saturated kalk dosing could keep up with. The amount I needed to add each day was more than my top off, and being in a stuffy apartment already, I really didn't want to push more evaporation.

At this point, I started dosing super saturated kalk solution with vinegar mixed in (45ml vinegar + 3tsp dry kalk per gallon of RO/DI). I was able to maintain my Ca and Alk better this way. However, after using this new recipe for about 1.5 months, my corals are becoming pale again.

I'm wondering if using this new recipe with vinegar is acting as a carbon dosing system and lowering my nutrient levels too much?

I have a 45 gallon w/ a 10 gallon sump, so I'm estimating about 40gal of water, and I use between 1/3-1/2 gallon of super saturated kalk per day.

disc1
08/30/2011, 09:36 PM
Absolutely. Vinegar is a great carbon source. If kalk can't keep up and your tank doesn't like carbon dosing, then you might want to think about a calcium reactor or two part.

Chyendra
09/13/2011, 08:40 PM
Thank you, I've stopped adding the vinegar and already a week later things are begining to color back up. I guess I'll have to find a different way to deal with my alk.

MGM_
11/26/2011, 10:12 AM
Maybe try cutting the vinegar in 1/2?