PDA

View Full Version : Rain Water as Tap water?

CarlitosReef
08/30/2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone ever filter rain water through a RODI and then have it mix with salt for your set up? Is it a good idea? or Tap water wouldn't be consider same as rain water?

Just a curiosity I had maybe someone can explain better?

disc1
08/30/2011, 10:51 PM
Rain water is usually (these days in industrial countries anyway) pretty acidic. That's going to run through your DI resin pretty fast. But as long as you are doing RODI on it, it's going to make clean water. It's just going to get real expensive.

I would definitely refrain from putting it in the tank unfiltered.

EllieSuz
08/30/2011, 11:19 PM
How would you get enough pressure to run rainwater through the RO/DI unit? I don't think it's a good idea either, but I wonder if it's physically possible, considering that mine needs considerable water pressure at the faucet to force the water through all the canisters.

CarlitosReef
08/30/2011, 11:22 PM
Well first I was thinking in boiling the rain water first I would say boil 50g a day when I can. Have the water that is boil down already in a barrel. Inside that barrel I would place a pump to pump the water to get ready to go in the RODI.

Aside from the cleaning rain water, which one of these 2 RODI is good? or what you guys recommend.

I have a 55g DT and a big basement.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-4-stage-economy-system.html

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON/Typhoon-5-stage-RODI-Reefkeeper-75-GPD.html

I believe the typhoon has life time warranty.

VGT
08/31/2011, 06:14 AM
Why are you even considering this? The money you spend on energy boiling and then pumping the water through your RODI will more than likely exceed the cost of using tap water. Not to mention, you're in Georgia, do you reliably get enough rain to support your system?

Seems silly to me.

Jeremy Blaze
08/31/2011, 06:17 AM
YEah, too much trouble, get a rain barrel, and use it to water your plants / garden.

CarlitosReef
08/31/2011, 08:35 AM
Well to boil the water here using the stove is not the only option. Is just a curiosity not planning in filtering this type of water for my DT.

But I might do just a little bit of a test to see how the water comes out. After I have filter the water I could test it.

Just a curiosity guys chill lol but thanks for the replys

Palting
08/31/2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, we all get silly thoughts sometimes. And, this is a hobby, a good excuse to get silly thoughts :).

As to your question regarding the RODI units, I prefer the 5 stage. The most expensive filter to replace is the membrane, and IMO the extra carbon block helps prolong the life of the membrane.

The Air Water Ice Typhoon looks good to me. But, I have the BRS 5 Stage Plus and like it. Simply because I like the BRS unit I have and it's a relatively well known entity to this forum, I would recommend their 5 stage standard for $10 more than the Typhoon one.

CarlitosReef
08/31/2011, 12:35 PM
This one? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-standard-system.html

I read somewhere here adding some type a gauge is a huge help. Could anyone explain more?

I can't find the warranty on this one anyone know?

agreeive?fish
08/31/2011, 12:50 PM
i would be happy to see some rain. its been so long i forgot what it looks like

fishysteve
08/31/2011, 01:05 PM
CarlitosReef - Is there a lot of industry near you or are you in a rural area?

Palting - My Dow Filmtec 75 gpd membranes only cost $24. My DI cartridges are more expensive than that.

Palting
08/31/2011, 03:56 PM
CarlitosReef - Is there a lot of industry near you or are you in a rural area?

Palting - My Dow Filmtec 75 gpd membranes only cost $24. My DI cartridges are more expensive than that.

Steve, that is an excellent price. At Bulk Reef Supply, a Dow 75 gpd filmtek is $40. That's where I get mine. At Foster and Smith, the cheapest I can find is $65. OTOH, the 5 stage additional 1 micron carbon block is $10. The additional $10 carbon block may prolong the life of the $40 membrane, which if kept healthy will prolong the also expensive DI cartirdges as well. So, I stand by my original recommedation, get the 5 stage with the additional carbon block filter.

Palting
08/31/2011, 04:04 PM
This one? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-standard-system.html

I read somewhere here adding some type a gauge is a huge help. Could anyone explain more?

I can't find the warranty on this one anyone know?

Yes, Carlitos, that one.

A pressure gauge goes after the sediment filters/carbon filters and before the RO membane. It will show a drop in water pressure when the sediment filters and the carbon filters are getting clogged or used up. It's a handy-dandy gadget, I like it, but not really needed.

More important is a TDS meter. It will tell you if your whole unit is functioning well and if you are getting 0 TDS or not.

CarlitosReef
08/31/2011, 04:27 PM
Where I live and pretty much everywhere except downtown is clearly rural. I'm from ny it took me a longggggg time to get used to GA.

Looks like I'm getting 5 standard rodi with the tds meter sounds like realll handy!

disc1
08/31/2011, 04:55 PM
In GA, the rain coming in off the ocean is going to be much much better than the rain coming from over the midwest.

CarlitosReef
08/31/2011, 05:03 PM
Yea but I don't live near the ocean. :(