PDA

View Full Version : Best Filtration sequence

lostmyz
08/31/2011, 12:47 AM
Hello all I have a question...

What is the most efficient sequence of filtration?

I have a Protein skimmer, Refugium and UV sterilizer. I currently have it designed to go like this.....

Protein Skimmer > Refugium > UV Sterilizer > Chiller > Tank

Thanks.

LinkinReef
08/31/2011, 01:45 AM
I would probably do:
Protein Skimmer > UV Sterilizer> Refugium > Chiller > Tank

I used to run a UV but stopped using it and never noticed a difference

pblogic
08/31/2011, 01:58 AM
Do you have this all in line or sitting in a sump? If it's sitting in a sump It's not going to matter all that much really. People will have different opinions and I've moved things around to no real changes.... If it's inline I don't know never done it, but I don't like the idea of inline setups because most of that equipment needs different flow rates.

If your return is flowing much more than your skimmer than the skimmer is only skimming at it's own rate, which is why I'm not a big fan of high turnover returns... second reason for that is it puts flow too fast through a fuge, which is also detrimental.

The UV has a slow flow rate as it needs contact time to be effective.

The chiller isn't filtering anything unless you have some kind of chiller filter thing I don't know about...

Really need more details on how it's all setup.

pblogic
08/31/2011, 02:09 AM
Also, there's a lot of poor UV equipment out there however you don't run UV to clear up a problem ussually. That would take massive UV. You run UV as a preventative measure so you will probably never "see a difference". You'll just have the peace of mind that you've got a layer of defense against disease (provided your UV actually has a proper flow rate for the bulb and the bulb actually puts out what it's rated and doesn't breach and send electricity into your tank) The only UV brand I've ever seen anyone show solid ratings and numbers based on a realistic flow and volume is probably emperor..

lostmyz
08/31/2011, 08:51 AM
Here is the equipment that I have.....

Overflow - CPR CS 50
Custom sump/refugium
Reef Octopus 110 Protein Skimmer
Turbo Twist 16x - 18watt
AquaEuro Chiller 1/13 hp

I have the overflow > Sump entrance > Protein Skimmer > Refugium > Sump outflow.
I have two water pumps sitting in my house a Mag 3 (350gph) and a Aqueon 2500 (485gph).

Options I have considered were using one of the water pumps and going UV sterilizer > Chiller > Tank. The other option I was thinking about because I'm not a fan of in-series was to run each one on a different pump and have the Uv sterilizer pump back into the sump/refugium either at the area of the protein skimmer or back into the outflow chamber. And have the other pump going to the chiller and back up to the tank.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

pblogic
09/03/2011, 01:10 PM
Well, your turbo twist is rated for a certain flow rate. I'd look that up and stick to it, or lower it and put it in your sump. Doesn't really matter where. The skimmer needs to be in an area of constant water level so that's probably the first chamber. Then the refugium, then your return. Doesn't matter where the chiller and heater goes.