PDA

View Full Version : Buy RR or drill yourself?

JMurphy97
08/31/2011, 09:33 AM
Would you buy a tank that is RR with the huge black overflow inside the tank or use the glass-holes kit and do it yourself? I'm thinking I might do it myself because then there would only be a small black inside the tank.

demonnite57
08/31/2011, 09:54 AM
RR is good if you don't want to take the chance of breaking the glass when drilling, but the tank is a little bit more expensive. I don't trust myself so I bought a 75g RR tank. Knowing my luck I would break all panes of the tank instead of the one I'm drilling.

souperman
08/31/2011, 10:16 AM
I went with a rr 90 just to save time. I had already sank a ton of time in a DIY stand and sump, I just wanted something plug and play.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reefing Newbie
08/31/2011, 10:21 AM
Where I am from, it is the same price or cheaper to buy a RR tank vs. drilling it yourself with the glass-holes kit. With petco's $1 per gallon sale the tank would be $40(not drilled). I would then be purchasing the 700 gph overflow from glass holes for $79. That takes my total up to $119. This does not include a return kit which would be an additional $27. I figured that with the total to do it myself, I would most likely be saving money by doing RR. I would probably break the tank, for me there is no such thing as light pressure lol.

Northstar24
08/31/2011, 10:39 AM
I'd honestly buy the RR setup and be done with it. I've read of too many people trying to drill it on their own cracking the glass and needing to buy a replacement tank

JMurphy97
08/31/2011, 10:52 AM
Well the only thing I don't like is that big ugly box. Then they want another $70 for the plumping kit that fits inside the overflow. Is either one safer in any way?

OodleyBoodely
08/31/2011, 11:21 AM
I drilled my own (to save money) and had no problems. Actually drilled 4 tanks now, all small 20g to 55g. Thicker glass might be more difficult or the cost if broken might lead me to go rr if I were going with a larger tank. I think doing it yourself (or having it custom drilled) is the way to go if you want something specific as opposed to taking what is available. I wanted a BeanAnimal style overflow with the 3 drains so I bought a diamond hole saw and made my own overflows and and external drain box out of glass. I had the glass for the overflows cut locally. I did look into the gl*******s kits but found them too limited, too. If you do it yourself you have many more options.

billdogg
08/31/2011, 11:44 AM
For a smaller tank, the rr is probably fine as long as the bulkhead is a minimum of 1". For larger tanks (IMO, anything 90g and up) the standard rr 1" bulkhead is a complete waste.

pezjunkie
08/31/2011, 12:58 PM
If there's one thing I wish I would have done differently with my 60 cube, it's this. I bought a RR tank and really wish I would have drilled the back and done a glass-holes style box instead.

If you don't mind having the plumbing behind the tank, it's the way to go. (IMHO)

scarface70706
08/31/2011, 03:54 PM
RR for the WIN! dont waste your time and money. just plug and play i say

James77
08/31/2011, 03:55 PM
The amount of area those RR overflows take up is obnoxious. I would drill, or have someone drill for you, and do a BeanAnimal type or GlassH oles one.

castaway
08/31/2011, 04:26 PM
It all comes down to cost versus ease. If you are pretty handy DIY.

Palting
08/31/2011, 05:21 PM
IMO, one big advantage to the RR is that you can put the whole tank and stand directly up against a wall. Looks neat from all angles. When you drill it yourself, you have to leave room for the bulkheads and plumbing, and you can see all that stuff when you come at it from the side. Of course, the other big advantage is the plug and play nature as has been metioned.

aleonn
08/31/2011, 06:13 PM
I'm not a handy person. Plus I think it's relatively cheap to purchase a reef-ready tank, compared to drilling and possibly breaking a tank. I think of the RR tank as cheap insurance, as there's no risk of me cracking it.

andrew241
08/31/2011, 07:38 PM
I am actually going to be drilling mine myself tomorrow.