PDA

View Full Version : Thorite in a rock wall?

TruReef
08/31/2011, 11:19 AM
I am planning a rock wall in my AGA RR 180gal similar to the many diy threads on here. My question is, can anyone see problems with using thorite and egg crate to make the wall? Most of the DIY's on here use egg crate and pond foam. I want a more realistic rock look without all the work of foam and epoxy then sand. Having to balance rock and foam so it doesn't float, I can just use thorite. I will add some rock into the wall to make ledges and bumps to add livestock to in the future and silicone the wall to the glass before adding water. Any problems with this?

disc1
08/31/2011, 12:02 PM
Surely you aren't talking about putting highly radioactive minerals in your fish tank. Please enlighten me on what you are calling thorite.

EDIT: Thank-you google. Thorite is also the trade name of a concrete mix containing some sort of acrylic. I don't know if that's good for you or not.

KafudaFish
08/31/2011, 12:14 PM
Thorite is cement used for DIY rocks. It was popular to build with but then it went MIA.

Mr. Wilson who is doing nineball's tank worked with it in the past.

Where did you get it?

There is also a marine cement from BASF that people have used.

Gorgok
08/31/2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.marcorocks.com/e-marco-40010lbkit.aspx

That is Thorite, not sure how it compares price wise to buying it straight from some supplier, but at least its an option.

KafudaFish
08/31/2011, 02:03 PM
Thank you.

TruReef
08/31/2011, 02:53 PM
I got it at Lowes, Quikrete hydraulic cement, aka thorite.

Gorgok
08/31/2011, 03:07 PM
Sounds like that quickrete stuff is just portland cement. Thorite needs to be mixed with something other than water (but water is added to that stuff).

dzfish17
08/31/2011, 03:26 PM
I built a rockwall in my tank and I used my own mix of portland cement, sand, water, and a binder called acryl 60. The acryl 60 is the same binder that marcorocks sells. I found it at a cement co. and it really makes the concrete mix strong. These product will raise the ph so you need to allow time to cure.