PDA

View Full Version : 125 stand build

Indermark
08/31/2011, 03:25 PM
I am building a stand for my AGA 125 aquarium using 2X8's and 2X4's. dimensions of the tank are 72"X18"X21". the sump is a AGA 40 gallon breeder, dimensions are 36"X18"X16". I realized that my sump being the same size as my tank might fit under the tank when built. I realized the stand is gonna need a customized touch to allow the same width inside the stand. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to go about putting this sump under the tank.

jayinh
08/31/2011, 03:57 PM
i have a 125 with a 40b sump, tight fit but it can be done.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/jayinh/light001.jpg

dylan87
08/31/2011, 05:46 PM
i hope you mean 2x4s with 2x8 as the front and back of the top of the stand so you dont have a center brace otherwise 2x8s are way overkill

RocketEngineer
08/31/2011, 08:07 PM
Consider having the tank sit away from the wall. On my 75g setup, the tank sits on the front edge of the stand with a 3.5" gap between the back of the tank and the back of the stand. I use a 1X4 board at each end to hide all the wires and plumbing behind the tank. You can really see what I'm talking about in this picture:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/RocketEngineer/75g%20Tank%20Build/013.jpg
There is a slot cut in the top plywood that allows me to run the pipes and wires into the stand. The extra 3.5" gives me plenty of room for the 40B sump.

If I were to do it again, I would make the stand 6" wider than the tank so I could use a 1X6 (which is actually 5.5" wide) instead of a 1X4. This would make running wires and plumbing much easier as well as allowing the overflow drains to fit better.

HTH,
RocketEngineer

Indermark
09/01/2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for everyones replies.

i hope you mean 2x4s with 2x8 as the front and back of the top of the stand so you dont have a center brace otherwise 2x8s are way overkill

i'm using 2X8's for the top frame and 2X4's for the bottom frame. I measured the tanks trim and the 125 gallon is 18.5" wide with the frame and the 40 gallon breeder is 18-1/4" wide so if i just make the stand 19" wide I should be good to go.

RocketEngineer- The tank is an AGA Mega flow with two overflows which is exactly like my 75 gallon that is in my kitchen that i am replacing and it is almost flush on the wall due to space restrictions in the kitchen.

Ryan

losthere
09/01/2011, 05:11 PM
Umm...Does the stand need to be exactly the same size as the tank? Personally I like the look of a larger stand, with a little room around the tank. It also helps to have room to set things when you are doing a water changes or fragging and etc.
The stand needs to be equally bigger than the tank front/back and side/side. The pic above just looks very non-symmetrical and not pleasing to the eye. But with equal distances front/back and side/side it will look very nice. I am in the process of building a stand and have the same "problem" the sump same width as the tank, so I am building a stand that is 4" bigger all the way around and it is coming out very nice. I stole the design from my friend.