PDA

View Full Version : Got mine today - Few Newb Questions On Apex

mcurtis
08/31/2011, 05:23 PM
Couple of things

1) Why is there no skimmer drop down box for the outlets?
2) What is the syntax to turn off my skimmer when i turn off the return pump AND when i turn the return pump back on, it will wait 1 minute to turn the skimmer back on? The sump is full and it overflows my skimmer if it turns back on when the return turns on.
3) What application for the android can we use to monitor our tanks remotely?
4) How can we check what firmware version we have?
5) For the return pump outlet - i want it to run all the time, unless i do a feed mode. My question is should i default it to ON or should i set the inital off time, on time and off time?
6) Email - Here is the dos trouble shooting and what it told me.
AquaController> cons
AquaController> 1 maild
AquaController> mail
AquaController> SMTP: mail.gmx.com unkn host

mail.gmx.com is what is the smtp server shows on the mailbox.. how is this wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RussM
08/31/2011, 06:00 PM
1) Probably because skimmer programming is typically very easy... normally on all the time, turn off for feeding if desired. Same for return pumps...there is no wizard for them. The Pump wizard is for oscillating wavemakers/powerheads. Frankly, many of us don't even use the wizards - we just jumped right into using the actual programming statements so we can really fine-tune the programming and better exploit the power of the Apex.

2) Use Advanced mode:

[Skimmer]
Set OFF
If Outlet ReturnPump = ON Then ON
Defer 003:00 Then ON

This will make the ON/OFF state of the skimmer outlet match the state of the return pump, but will delay turning on the skimmer for 3 minutes.

3) Search the Market for "Apex"

4) See the bottom section of the Configuration->Network setup page

5)
[ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Set the base time period (called Feed interval A) for FeedA on the Misc setup page.

aquamanic
08/31/2011, 06:59 PM
#6 - you have an issue with DNS. Either your network settings are wrong (post a screen shot of the config page if you can) or there's an issue with your ISP which can also be fixed.

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 05:31 AM
1) Probably because skimmer programming is typically very easy... normally on all the time, turn off for feeding if desired. Same for return pumps...there is no wizard for them. The Pump wizard is for oscillating wavemakers/powerheads. Frankly, many of us don't even use the wizards - we just jumped right into using the actual programming statements so we can really fine-tune the programming and better exploit the power of the Apex.

2) Use Advanced mode:

[Skimmer]
Set OFF

This will make the ON/OFF state of the skimmer outlet match the state of the return pump, but will delay turning on the skimmer for 3 minutes.

5)
[ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Set the base time period (called Feed interval A) for FeedA on the Misc setup page.

Much appreciated for the help and answers!! I have all this in place now and will test once the lights come on :) Thanks again.

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 05:36 AM
#6 - you have an issue with DNS. Either your network settings are wrong (post a screen shot of the config page if you can) or there's an issue with your ISP which can also be fixed.

Hi,

Are you wanting a screenshot of the AquaController email setup on the AquaController? From my computer i can ping mail.gmx.com and it does resolve to an ip address.

aquamanic
09/01/2011, 06:40 AM
Are you wanting a screenshot of the AquaController email setup on the AquaController

Yes but you can also try changing the DNS addresses in the Apex network page to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 and see if that helps. Remember to reboot the Apex after making the changes.

BTW, who is your ISP?

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 08:31 AM
Hi i have my dns as the google dns of 8.8.8.8 and the secondary as 8.8.4.4. I always use that for any dns entries.However I have not ever rebooted since i set it up. I will do that now, also I use time warner.

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 08:38 AM
Update... the reboot fixed it and now i have mail! thanks a ton for this help!

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 08:48 AM

2) Use Advanced mode:

[Skimmer]
Set OFF

5)
[ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Worked beautifully! I don't know how the heck people can live without these things :) Thanks again

aquamanic
09/01/2011, 10:01 AM
Time Warner seems to be a common culprit in terms of DNS. I don't know why but normal DNS name resolution doesn't work with the Apex and Time Warner.

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 10:36 AM
Ok i must be dumb as junk, because even after watching the video i can't get this to work.

android phone
(data has been changed to protect the innocent) :rollface:

in router port forwarding:
application: apex
port from: 7899
protocol: both
ip address: 192.168.1.13
port to: 7899
enable: check

in controller:
hostname: apex
aquacontroller ip address: 192.168.1.13
primary dns: 8.8.8.8
secondary dns: 8.8.4.4
http port: 7899

When using the apex controller widget i get:
Error: HTTP connection failed.

I have tried the default port 80 and same thing

Also in the portforwarding in the router which ip do i put.. the public or private? When watching the video i was assuming the private, which is what i did.

Any ideas?

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 10:47 AM
A couple things. You may want to hop off your router for DNS(192.168.1.1). Not necessary, but helps on some resolution issues sometimes. If you want to use google dns (8.8.8.8), thats fine. Just assign that on your router, and hand it off to your apex instead.

The above is not the fix(but could help with internal name resolution on some crappy routers), but if you havent changed your default password, it will not allow connections (last i checked).

Port forwarding is private. You are configured correctly.

If all else fails, bounce your router

You are connecting to your external ip with your apex, correct? http://<your external ip>:7899/ <-----------make sure to add this slash at the end. It used to be necessary at least...

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 11:23 AM
A couple things. You may want to hop off your router for DNS(192.168.1.1). Not necessary, but helps on some resolution issues sometimes. If you want to use google dns (8.8.8.8), thats fine. Just assign that on your router, and hand it off to your apex instead.

The above is not the fix(but could help with internal name resolution on some crappy routers), but if you havent changed your default password, it will not allow connections (last i checked).

Port forwarding is private. You are configured correctly.

If all else fails, bounce your router

You are connecting to your external ip with your apex, correct? http://<your external ip>:7899/ <-----------make sure to add this slash at the end. It used to be necessary at least...

Yeah i use googles dns of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for secondary.
Password and login have changed and i can log into them locally via web browser.

Already bounced the router, but will do it again for good measure.

I am using my ip from whatsmyip.org with the :7899/

I just added the slash and still no go :(

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 11:26 AM
And you have bounced the Apex after configuration?

RussM
09/01/2011, 11:27 AM
Have you tested using a web browser?

And in the Android app, you are putting in the full URL? Like this: http://ip-address:7899/

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 11:31 AM
If your interested, shoot me a pm with your info and i can test from my android. Mine works fine. It would give you a point of reference at least. Just change your info after positive or negative confirmation afterwards for good measure.

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 11:39 AM
And you have bounced the Apex after configuration?

Yes sir.

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 11:43 AM
hmm

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 12:04 PM
Have you tested using a web browser?

And in the Android app, you are putting in the full URL? Like this: http://ip-address:7899/

Using a web browser... trying to connect to the wan ip for example:

http://74.134.224.244:7777/

Cant connect. I tried google chrome, IE and Firefox.

Port forwarding setup on the router and the cable modem.

I can tracert to the wan ip address from cmd.

Don't think remote assistance has to be turned on.
Windows firewall: block al incoming connections is NOT checked
antivirus 2 different types on 2 different computers.

Question: On my Apex Network Setup the AquaController IP address is the LAN ip correct?

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 12:17 PM
You definitely dont have a conflicting ip on your LAN? May want to verify that with an nslookup or at least check your router for connected devices. Your LAN ip is correct. You would have your private ip (192...) on anything inside unless you had advanced firewall setups like DMZ's etc. We wont go there.

You said that you can connect to your internal IP : port though correct?

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 12:30 PM
No i have all statics on my network. No duplicate ip.

No DMZ setup. No crazy natting, etc.

Correct, i can connect to my internal LAN ip with port just fine, on 2 different machines + ipad on wireless.

I had a buddy in a different state try to connect with port to see if he got the login screen... same issue as me.

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 12:36 PM
Definitely sounds like your break is at your firewall. telnet to the outsideip : port from the outside. See if it handshakes

RussM
09/01/2011, 12:37 PM
Are you testing from a device NOT on your home LAN? Some routers do not support the capability to access an internal device from another internal device using the public IP address and port forwarding; some do.

I tried this link: http://74.134.224.244:7777/, but I'm assuming it is a made-up IP address given only as an example because it belongs to a range of addresses issued to an ISP that does not serve the KC area.

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 12:41 PM
haha yea. i tried that ip and port 7777 as well as port 7899. No communication. Those 2 ports are definitely closed on that IP

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 12:56 PM
Are you testing from a device NOT on your home LAN? Some routers do not support the capability to access an internal device from another internal device using the public IP address and port forwarding; some do.

I tried this link: http://74.134.224.244:7777/, but I'm assuming it is a made-up IP address given only as an example because it belongs to a range of addresses issued to an ISP that does not serve the KC area.

I have tested and had a buddy that lives a few states away even test for me.

That ip is a made up ip address. I can pm the addy to you guys with port.

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 01:02 PM
pm received. tested that ip and port. No go. Change ports and give it a try

RussM
09/01/2011, 01:47 PM
Daisy-chained routers can be a real B***H - with a capital B ;)

mcurtis, enjoy your new network capabilities!

mcurtis
09/01/2011, 01:50 PM
***UPDATE***

Thanks all for lending a hand on this. Russ figured out the issues for me on this and got it working!! Thanks a TON Russ for this! If you guys aren't signed up to Reeftronics, make sure you stop by and do that!
http://www.reeftronics.net/

Thanks again!

insomniac2k2
09/01/2011, 02:14 PM
Glad you got it working. You will love it.