PDA

View Full Version : leopard wrasse with mouth open and swollen gills

smaraghy
08/31/2011, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

Hey guys, I picked up 2 leopard wrasses a week ago. They seemed to be doing great except yesterday i found one of them to be swimming with her mouth open and has flaired/swollen gills, and a few cloudy spots on fins. No white spots on skin. She also shakes vigorously sometimes. I read that they frequently get internal parasites so i treated with prazipro this evening. She still eats tho.

Sound like gill flukes to anyone? Or something else?

suggestions appreciated!

aleonn
08/31/2011, 07:06 PM
Any photos or tank parameters?

Also, do you have a fine sand bed? Without an adequate or appropriate sand bed, leopard wrasses may damage their mouths diving into the glass bottom.

smaraghy
09/01/2011, 04:34 PM
nitrate, ammonia, nitrite are all zero. Ph is 8.4. Salinity 1.024.

My sand is roughly 2.5 inches of sugar sized granules. If he did somehow hurt his mouth, his gills should still be ok......right?

Only the two wrasses in the tank, no bullying.

I tried to get a pic but she is only 1.5 inches and wont stay still. Cant see anything from pics.

I think it must be a disease or parasite? Lays on sandbed at night breathing heavy.

During day cruises rocks and eats.

thanks!

aleonn
09/03/2011, 02:55 PM
Hmm you have good water parameters, and you're right that the gills should be fine if there was mouth trauma. You'll have to move him to a hospital tank and treat with meds. I'm not too familiar with fish disease and treatment, but definitely check out the Fish Disease & Treatment forum for faster and better answers!