PDA

View Full Version : Plan to turn off my sump's systems over night

bahar1
08/31/2011, 10:08 PM
Sump is meant for hiding equipments and increasing total volume of the system.
Duo to some limits I am thinking of turning off my sump overnight (including skimmer and UV and media reactor).

Display tank: 90 gallon with 90 lbs Live rock
Sump+Refrgium: has 30 lbs of rock with bioballs skimmer, UV, media reactor.

1-I want to put heaters in both tank.
2-Place air pump inside main tank to turn on with timer each 2 hours for 15 min during the time that sump is disconnected.
3-Powerhead will works in main tank and small pump runs on timer to circulate water between Sump and Refrgium.

In my view nothing serious should have happens under these conditions, basically I disconnect two tanks and then reconnect them later.

What do you think? any advices or experience?

jgsteven
08/31/2011, 10:12 PM
I haven't run that kind of setup, however the two things I would be concerned about are:

1. Stagnant water in the plumbing between the sump and main tank: I have heard of problems with the water trapped in the hose of a canister filter going back to the main tank after the canister has been disconnected for some time. Might have the same problems.

2. Need for circulation in the sump: It will go stagnant too, so you would need a powerhead down there (probably).

If its a noise issue, you can probably rig up something to keep it quiet enough and still keep the sump itself flowing, even if you want to turn off the skimmer and other equipment for sound reasons.

acpoweradapter
08/31/2011, 11:45 PM
Why are you wanting to turn off the sump?

sandwi54
09/01/2011, 12:03 AM
not really sure what you're trying to do. disconnect which two tanks?

papagimp
09/01/2011, 12:15 AM
My concern would be biologically filtering the display with 120lbs of LR and bioballs and then cutting out 30lbs + the bioballs every night. The filtration isn't limited to just the 90lbs in the display. Depending on the bioload, i wonder if you'd be spiking ammonia at night due to less filtration going on, not to mention other stability factors involved in cutting out part of the system like that. Can't really say for sure though, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me for no other reason than that nagging voice in my head saying "I wouldn't want to do it that way". I am curious what more experienced reefers would say though.

Cloudburst2000
09/01/2011, 09:54 AM
I've heard of people taking their sumps or protein skimmers off-line only to kill their entire tanks when they restarted them because of a build up of a cess pool due to no flow. You might have actual flow in your sump (powerheads) but the water in any plumbing and protein skimmer could definitely build up ickiness that you don't want in your tank. My suggestion...don't do it.

bahar1
09/01/2011, 11:11 PM
My concern would be biologically filtering the display with 120lbs of LR and bioballs and then cutting out 30lbs + the bioballs every night. The filtration isn't limited to just the 90lbs in the display. Depending on the bioload, i wonder if you'd be spiking ammonia at night due to less filtration going on, not to mention other stability factors involved in cutting out part of the system like that.

Ok So let say we have a homogenous water duo to constant circulation, but all of a sudden you put a separator in the center of your tank and make it two compartment. now you have two separate system with same water and relative Live rock to water ratio. Both system should do fine since you kept everything constant.

As you guys said, only concern would be that main tank's organism will get extra ammonia to consume overnight:
1-Fishes are less active in general over night so they will produce less waste
2-Even such extra ammonia should be taken care by increasing in the activity of available organism.
Many research showed such cycles of spike and increase in activity of organism over night duo to availability of limiting resources.

This is what I do.I will have heater and power-heads in both tank and sump. I have the same ratio of rock to water in Display and sump (with exception of bioballs of course) so turning of the sump(IMO) is just like putting a separator in middle of a tank and until next morning there should not be significant spice in Ammonia or nitrite, even so it should be taken care by increase in activity of main tank's organism.

Why are you wanting to turn off the sump?
My issue is noise. But if something doesn't hurt, Does not means it is benefiting (Type I and II of probability) So why should I do something that may not be necessarily.

My plan is to gather enough information then actually test and measure to see how effective is to have a system runs 24/7. Hope you see my point but We could get the same outcome by running the filtration 18 hours a day. This is what I try to research and do an experiment and I completely understand many hobbyist would say "I wouldn't risk that" but I'm biologist and I have an intrinsic curiosity.

So please help me by your input or you may want to start trying it in other ways too.

I've heard of people taking their sumps or protein skimmers off-line only to kill their entire tanks when they restarted them because of a build up of a cess pool due to no flow

Could you provide more detail. Well in my system it won't be the case as no significant water get stuck but even so I would say there could have been a third variable that caused such problem.