PDA

View Full Version : "Tanked" Poor Example

Marinworld
09/01/2011, 08:39 AM
Has anyone been watching the Animal Planet program "Tanked?"

Talk about responsible reefkeeping! This program is a travesty to that. I find it inexcusable the way the livestock is tossed around on that show. Perhaps they are quite good in constructing things from Acrylic, but as far as showing some care or responsibility for the livestock; that is definitely lacking.

Dumping mass quantities of fish into brand new systems, (many showing obvious signs of disease) is completely irresponsible.

The subtle little remarks made by the hosts regarding the proper acclimating/conditioning does little to the novice to show the importance of the proper procedures. Very disappointed with the show, as well as with Animal Planet, in not attempting to be more responsible for the content.

Marinworld:rollface:

Sk8r
09/01/2011, 08:54 AM
I watched the tangs in a phone booth episode. One of the damsels had lymphocystis, and the stocking list was a food-chain. One tang was oxygen-short, and either about to expire of sheer panic---or might have had impaired gill function---who knows, maybe ich...

I've seen 'tank maintenance' like this, and they don't reveal to the corporate customer the weekly 'butcher's bill': they scoop out the dead ones and plunk in some replacements. The fee for 'maintenance' is high enough to include it.

Then the fashion-statement ends, the corporation has no more use for the tank: this quarter's theme is something else, so they rip it out in favor of something else, and the 'maintenance' people just cart the survivors off to dump them in some other corporate tank.

There are caring maintenance companies: I've seen them, and I've seen 'business' tanks in which fish had very long and happy lives---Harry the Shark, who outgrew his bar and ended up at the city zoo: he did so enjoy the seafood tidbits---I doubt the zoo could match it; and a couple of monster tilapia at a neighborhood restaurant, who must be well into their second decade, but I don't think a caring maintenance company has the stomach to deal with a Las Vegas kind of fish-as-decor operation.

Reefing Newbie
09/02/2011, 07:14 PM
Right now I am watching the show. A couple years back they built a 57,000 gallon tank for a church. There are over 600 fish including tangs, triggers, rays, hogfish, and sharks. They are still adding to it from two years ago! I hope they know that you can't keep adding to a tank until you get tired of it! I don't think zoos or public aquariums have near that many fish in similar aquariums. As mention led many times here, they are good at building, not stocking.

jimmyj7090
09/02/2011, 10:16 PM
No no, you keep adding to replace the fish that die every week..... :(

HndMafia
09/02/2011, 11:19 PM
am I the only one that has a problem with a 57,000 gallon tank at a church???????????? Do something for people in need instead of building a church around a 4.7 million dollar aquarium!!!

Reefing Newbie
09/02/2011, 11:37 PM
No no, you keep adding to replace the fish that die every week..... :(

Ohhh yeah I forgot, I thought it was a daily thing. That marine biologist isn't doing his job right... Is it just me or is a 400gallon tank a little on the small side for three sharks? From online retailers, I was always seeing the minimum being 1500 gallons for them. Not to mention that these guys are putting in difficult to care for fish like morish idols in these tanks. The proposal one was the best by far! Ohh, the rays buried themselves. Okay dial the phone and bring in about 20 or so TANGS for the tank. I think I will go buy 10 for my tank lol

indatank
09/03/2011, 12:46 AM
Also pumping in water from any sources they can hook up to

jeosbo
09/04/2011, 01:49 PM
I have actually never watched the show...but did read the recent TFH article that pointed out how they are well seasoned hobbyists first...kinda funny reading that after hearing comments like this. Sounds to me like "We are seasoned if thats what you want to hear", we know what to do, but your money is more important than doing it right...but again, I haven't watched the show and can only base that on the comments I have read here and in other places.

scionreefing
09/04/2011, 02:37 PM
am I the only one that has a problem with a 57,000 gallon tank at a church???????????? Do something for people in need instead of building a church around a 4.7 million dollar aquarium!!!

Nothing wrong with it. A church that large probably does a lot more than you think. I know mine does.

Raffle grabber

lucky_snapper
09/04/2011, 02:47 PM
Right now I am watching the show. A couple years back they built a 57,000 gallon tank for a church. There are over 600 fish including tangs, triggers, rays, hogfish, and sharks. They are still adding to it from two years ago! I hope they know that you can't keep adding to a tank until you get tired of it! I don't think zoos or public aquariums have near that many fish in similar aquariums. As mention led many times here, they are good at building, not stocking.

It really bothered me too.. We are supposed to be good stewards of the money God has given us and while I like aquariums as much as the next guy it seems like a waste of allot of money that could be helping people instead of bringing attention to your building or yourself.

wicz101
09/04/2011, 03:06 PM
I think forget it's a tv show and made to entertant. Things are cut, edited and who knows what else. Give those guys a break, these no way they have a huge thriving business like that where they travel around the country set up tanks if they were really that bad

milesofreefs
09/04/2011, 03:51 PM
im 50/50 on this one..... most of the tanks they build are none reef tanks..... qt tanks....... that run things like copper and dont need to be cycled.... so putting fish into a new system like that isnt a "bad thing".... your lfs more then likely kills just as many fish every month.... its an industry of caring for things that require a lot of care and when you are trying to care for a lot of things at once your going to have some bumps in the road.... but 3 sharks in a 400 gallon system well thats a little much..... or 20 tangs in one tank i myself wouldnt do it... i think they should be more careful with there stocking list but you cant blame them for wholesalers selling fish with ick...

deepblue68
09/04/2011, 05:23 PM
i hope there stocking lists for there tanks are all flash for tv, but i do like watching the show to see the different tanks they make!

chrisv
09/04/2011, 07:54 PM

hey, some of us treat this hobby like a religion...

vessxpress1
09/04/2011, 08:55 PM
It's been a while since I've posted here but I just watched the show where they made the phone booth aquarium. I see so many problems with this show, it isn't even funny. I'd like to see a check up on these tanks 2 years down the road. After the saltwater has taken it's toll on all the "props" these people need.

Problem #2 is, the clients don't have enough passion to care for the size tanks they get. I don't believe it for a second. They just want a tank, like they want a car and have somebody do all the work for them so they can have it instantly. People with more money than brains, IMO. It would appear the owners are making a fortune.

Problem #3. Maintenance. How do you get a small fish out that dies at the bottom of the phone booth tank?

Problem #4. WAY too much livestock. I thought the show would be more responsible in this aspect but they're pretty much mindless when it comes to stocking numbers. Basically how ever many cool fish they can find, regardless of size, get dumped in. A small amount of forethought goes into what will and will not get along. But lets face it. When you cram hundreds of fish in a tank, there's going to be stress over time. They're only thinking about the big initial show off and entertaining tv land.

I would also guess that they choose to go with so many fish because it's more profit. The customers have no friggin idea how many fish a tank should hold. They just want to see it busy. So they go all out and have their mark up on every fish thrown in.

The over stocking is my biggest pet peeve with the show. Other than that, I would say the owners learned how to build large acrylic tanks and are mildly knowledgeable on fish. They're obviously filling a roll but I think it's somewhat misguided, driven by the tv show. Which copies other tv shows where people with deep pockets need to have everything customized to fit their tastes.

Why you wouldn't want to view fish in their natural reef environment, I have no idea. I probably will not continue watching the show. I think it sets a bad example and highlights the selfish nature of people. I believe the show is for people who have no clue about keeping tanks. Not so much for the advanced hobbyist that knows what's up.

Wrench
09/04/2011, 09:20 PM
Jeez o wiz, would all of you freakkin' goofballs that want to complain about this show PLEASE consolidate your whining into one thread? If you dont like it then change the channel. Trust me, crying about it on the internet isn't going to make you famous.

Reefing Newbie
09/04/2011, 09:26 PM
I think their stocking is bad enough on the longer tanks with more surface area as it is. Then they build the cylidars, keg, and the tall aquariums and add twice as many fish! It should be the other way around as far as oxygen is concered, especially when most of them are TANGS. I guess we could all agree that they are good at building the tank, not filling it?

derek4real
09/04/2011, 09:44 PM
I understand that most of the people here are "more responsible" with their fish and tanks than the customers of the show. Keep in mind, most their customers seem to be doing very well financially and thus don't care about "being responsible" cause they can afford not to be responsible.

I mean come on, a guy spent $30,000 on a custom Quarantine set up. Realistically, not your average person has a $30,000 display tank at that.

derek4real
09/04/2011, 09:48 PM
Although I do not agree with their stocking methods and the use of tap water.

I think this show will bring in more interest to the Local Fish Stores which is always a good thing. I would hope that the LFS would set them straight and explain that the instant set up route is not a good idea.

talon4x4
09/04/2011, 10:04 PM
The show is meant for entertainment, not to teach people the proper techniques for fish keeping. The show has never claimed to be for educational purposes. Take the show for what it is, entertainment, and watch it like that. As has already been said, there is tons of stuff still left on the editing room floor. We probably don't even see 10% of what goes into making one episode.

As for tap water, I guarantee there are plenty of people on this very message board that still use tap water for there tanks. I have a feeling that 30 years ago when people had saltwater tanks they weren't using RO/DI. I know my uncle didn't and he successfully kept fish for 10 years.

talon4x4
09/04/2011, 10:05 PM
The show is meant for entertainment, not to teach people the proper techniques for fish keeping. The show has never claimed to be for educational purposes. Take the show for what it is, entertainment, and watch it like that. As has already been said, there is tons of stuff still left on the editing room floor. We probably don't even see 10% of what goes into making one episode.

As for tap water, I guarantee there are plenty of people on this very message board that still use tap water for there tanks. I have a feeling that 30 years ago when people had saltwater tanks they weren't using RO/DI. I know my uncle didn't and he successfully kept fish for 10 years.

captnslapy
09/04/2011, 10:33 PM
I like the show. It's very entertaining. And for all of you that complain so much, I wish I could screw up as much as you say they do and drive those cars and stay in business like they do. Must be doing something right.

Eastamherstbias
09/04/2011, 11:26 PM
The show is entertaining. I did roll my eyes watching all those damsels in the phonebooth tank and they say "they can be territorial". I think they use them as filler. Reefers tend to be on the type A personality side so I can see why there is a backlash. Non-reefers seem to really like the show. If it brings more attention to the hobby. I don't have a major problem with it. A good LFS will stop a person from making serious mistakes.

Jeremy Blaze
09/05/2011, 06:55 AM
You mean there is a show called "Tanked"? About fish tanks? HAdn't heard about it before, certianly not on Reefcentral!:ape:

vessxpress1
09/05/2011, 08:40 AM
I like the show. It's very entertaining. And for all of you that complain so much, I wish I could screw up as much as you say they do and drive those cars and stay in business like they do. Must be doing something right.

Drug dealers have nice cars and houses as well. They must be doing something right too??

You people can defend the show all you want. Some of us have been there and done that, and know what's feasible and what isn't. I've seen threads on here that go pages long concerning the well being of one tang in a smallish sized tank. Why is there surprise that people want to discuss this show given the scale of what they're doing!?

The water from any source probably isn't that big of a deal since they're only doing fish only. I don't know how they avoid a massive cycle once they leave. You have to assume they put some serious filtration on these tanks to handle the huge bio-load. I'd still think they would have problems with die offs though.

vessxpress1
09/05/2011, 08:48 AM
The show is meant for entertainment, not to teach people the proper techniques for fish keeping. The show has never claimed to be for educational purposes. Take the show for what it is, entertainment, and watch it like that.

Whether it claims to be educational or not doesn't matter in the least. Many people watching are going to run out and buy the bare minimum and slam it together, before they ever open a book.
There's always going to be people who, on a whim, get a 10 gallon tank and then overstock it with too many fish. I concede that it already happens. This show is just encouraging more people to do that.

When everything dies off, it's bad for the fish and bad for the hobby because then people get discouraged and quit.

snorvich
09/05/2011, 09:57 AM
For entertainment? I remember what the Romans did for entertainment. So check out this. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19239940&postcount=5286) Hopefully a troll . . .

snorvich
09/05/2011, 09:58 AM
A good LFS will stop a person from making serious mistakes.

I think you are dreaming. What percentage of LFS actually care about anything but selling?

jacklink
09/05/2011, 10:11 AM
Iv never seen that show. Do the people dress up in crazy outfits like Dog the bounty hunter or that alt rock style hillbilly exterminator? That would be great...

Matthew91
09/05/2011, 10:32 AM
For entertainment? I remember what the Romans did for entertainment. So check out this. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19239940&postcount=5286) Hopefully a troll . . .

That post cannot be real can it?

Jeremy Blaze
09/05/2011, 11:20 AM
I doubt many people will watch this show, and run out and set up a 400 gallon shark tank.

snorvich
09/05/2011, 11:51 AM
I doubt many people will watch this show, and run out and set up a 400 gallon shark tank.

Did you intend to say: "I doubt any people will watch this show, and run out and set up a 400 gallon shark tank" ?

ENTMogul
09/05/2011, 12:30 PM

WOW. I am speechless after reading that. Why are people so stupid?????

Something needs to be done with that show. It is clearly taking the industry in the wrong direction.

That really p***** me off.

122 FISH IN A VERTICAL 370 GALLON TANK! Why don't I go stick my head in a great white sharks mouth, that sounds like a great idea as well.

Reefing Newbie
09/08/2011, 07:34 PM

You should tell them that they will only end up with about half of what they have if they are lucky :) Also that some of the fish aren't reef safe....

asid61
09/08/2011, 08:35 PM
Probably is a troll, but it was the poster's first post, so maybe they just don't know a lot.

Reefing Newbie
09/08/2011, 09:21 PM
I would hope so... for the sake of the 123 or something fish he "wanted". Besides, how would you properly light a reef tank that deep? I know metal halides won't reach that, I think 30" or something max for the 400 watt bulbs, not sure though.

captnslapy
09/09/2011, 05:44 AM
That's just a troll wanting to stir things up. After all the complaining, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of those idiotic posts.

mattGgator
09/09/2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, we were disappointed about the MOB tank episode. There were some expensive and beautiful fish (many of which are notoriously sensitive) put into the tank. The only thing my wife and I could think was "wow- about half of those fish will die." It was hard for me to witness my dream fish (Achilles Tang) go into a fresh system.

captnslapy
09/09/2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe after the show is taped, some of those fish are taken out? I like to think so anyway. I know wish full thinking but it helps me enjoy the show.

jeff@zina.com
09/09/2011, 10:50 AM
You guys seem to think the show is real. It's reality TV, no where near true reality. Get over it, you see what the editors and producers thought was entertaining.

Jeff

schristi69
09/09/2011, 11:51 AM
I would hope so... for the sake of the 123 or something fish he "wanted". Besides, how would you properly light a reef tank that deep? I know metal halides won't reach that, I think 30" or something max for the 400 watt bulbs, not sure though.

Because they are not building reef tanks. All of the corals are fake. These are fish only tanks.

khowst
09/09/2011, 11:59 AM
Whether it claims to be educational or not doesn't matter in the least. Many people watching are going to run out and buy the bare minimum and slam it together, before they ever open a book.
There's always going to be people who, on a whim, get a 10 gallon tank and then overstock it with too many fish. I concede that it already happens. This show is just encouraging more people to do that.

When everything dies off, it's bad for the fish and bad for the hobby because then people get discouraged and quit.

I hate to be the beaer of bad news but from what I have seen quite the contrary is true in my area. I have asked LFS both in St. Louis, MO and Springfield, MO (about 10 LFS in total between them) and none of them have had any new constomers running in ready to get "Tanked". If fact the only discussion they have even had generated in thier stores about the show is by regulars talking about it.

I'm sure it may happen somewhere at sometime but I am sure there is alot more 'make a buck' bad practice LFS' out there that sell to people just cause they can regardless of livestock/tank size, level of buyer expertise, etc.

coralnut99
09/09/2011, 02:18 PM

Some Churches need to "bury money" too.

Spaced Cowboy
09/09/2011, 03:34 PM
Right now I am watching the show. A couple years back they built a 57,000 gallon tank for a church. There are over 600 fish including tangs, triggers, rays, hogfish, and sharks.

Really ? 57 kG and only 600 fish ? That's almost 100G of water per fish!

I know typically you'll see "Tang XXX: minimum tank size 125G" or whatever, but that's more to do with swimming room than any serious requirement for 125 gallons of water just to itself. I'm reasonably certain a 57,000 gallon tank will have plenty of swimming room.

Now some fish (sharks, rays) are going to require a *lot* of swimming room, but it seems to me they have it, there. I have no idea what size the tank is, but it must be pretty darn big, unless it's *incredibly* tall, that is...

So leaving aside the swimming volume requirements, how many 100G tanks have a single solitary fish in them ? Not that many, I'd think.

Simon.

davocean
09/09/2011, 05:23 PM
I think I was about 10 minutes into this show and found it unwatchable.
Really says something when a fish geek can't watch a show designed supposedly for fish geeks.
How do you accidentally run hot water into a tank, add ice cubes from tap to cool it down LOWER than normal temp, then add a bunch of fish and take this stuff seriously??:worried2:

kentlighting
09/09/2011, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=vessxpress1;19240886]Drug dealers have nice cars and houses as well. They must be doing something right too??

QUOTE]

one was arrested for drug dealing a few years back i believe

captnslapy
09/09/2011, 08:37 PM
Drug dealers have nice cars and houses as well. They must be doing something right too??

You people can defend the show all you want. Some of us have been there and done that, and know what's feasible and what isn't. I've seen threads on here that go pages long concerning the well being of one tang in a smallish sized tank. Why is there surprise that people want to discuss this show given the scale of what they're doing!?

The water from any source probably isn't that big of a deal since they're only doing fish only. I don't know how they avoid a massive cycle once they leave. You have to assume they put some serious filtration on these tanks to handle the huge bio-load. I'd still think they would have problems with die offs though.

Wow now you're comparing them to drug dealers. Are you kidding me? It's a fake show on tv. Get a clue. If you don't like it, don't watch. It's that simple. But by all this moaning and groaning, you're just giving them free advertisement. Guess maybe they should thank you.

Phishguy
09/09/2011, 09:25 PM
I only watch it for the red head.. Don't know why but I got a thing for her..
It is a cheesy tv show and they are fish only tanks. I'm sure a lot more goes on "behind the scenes" to care for the tanks.

bdwilson
09/09/2011, 10:32 PM
Did you see the episode tonight? They did do a reef tank and filled it with coral and fish right away:headwalls:

pbnj
09/09/2011, 10:34 PM
Ooh, mama....that 12ft Feng Shui Reef Tank....gimme, gimme.

HndMafia
09/09/2011, 10:45 PM
Did you see the episode tonight? They did do a reef tank and filled it with coral and fish right away:headwalls:

And the kid's tank had TWO Copperbanded Butterfly's in it...I thought no one could successfully keep Copperbands together.

I agree it is an un'reality' tv show made for entertainment, but..........:headwally:

walvis
09/10/2011, 05:49 AM
I felt sorry seeing the copper bands and also achilles added to the system.
These home owners have no clue what there up to.
Just sad, a waste of $ and animal life...

MidMichiganReef
09/10/2011, 07:10 AM
I found the show unwatchable because it is uneventful and slow. If you dont like their methods then go buy their company and do it your way.

bamf25
09/10/2011, 09:04 AM
Very simply the tanks look amazing with all those fish right form the start. I wish I could keep that many fish that quickly in my tank. Realistically they will have major filtration, ammonia, and death issues putting that many fish in those size tanks that quickly. Unfortunately, it is very simply they want the wow value of that first reveal, that makes the buyer think they got their money worth. For them it is cheeper (and likely better for business) to collect the paycheck, and correct the problems later. Thus it seems like they have good customer service. So sorry that fish died, we will replace it at no cost, sounds good to the buyer. What they fail to see is the loses were already paid for in the purchase price and/or service charges.

I think what we see on the surface looks bad. They are clearly ignoring stocking amounts, reccomended tank sizes, QT, and proper cycling practices. Now there are ways to "quick" cycle a tank, like using very well cured pre established live rock, and well aged water. This way them establishing a tank is more akin to moving or upgrading a tank, and we know that can be done quickly. If they had a 400g tank with a hidden sump with 400 lbs of established live rock, and brought a tanker truck of establish salt water. You could get a tank up very quickly, especially a FOWLR. Unfortunately, none of that can be seen on the show, and the filtreation systems seen looke more like a skimmer, UV, and cheical filtration system, not a sump system.

BBraker
09/10/2011, 09:40 AM
You guys seem to think the show is real. It's reality TV, no where near true reality. Get over it, you see what the editors and producers thought was entertaining.

Jeff

I agree - same as with ANY of these shows. I was dead set to pan this show when I first saw the previews. I've seen every episode now, and I'm gradually changing my opinion - it is what it is - a reality show that isn't based on reality, just like all the others.

Tanked is much better than those swamp shows where they kill alligators, or the fishing shows where they SAY they release the fish alive, but we know that Arapaima and billfish often die at the end of a line. The "Swordfish - life on the line" show NEVER showed how many mako and blue sharks are killed for each swordfish caught. And don't get me started on "Bug Wars" - really? staging battles between arthropods for a T.V. show? Talk about gladatorial excess! I don't see any ethical difference between dog fighting and putting a centipede in a cage with a scorpion.

BTW: did you all catch a glimpse of Joe Y's 20,000 gallon reef last night? They should have given that more air time.

Bill

Reefir
09/10/2011, 09:41 AM
I would love to have a job doing tank maintinence for their customers , there would be no lack of work or money . i would be rich just trying to get the tanks cleaned . I am sure they pay a huge monthly fee to keep it looking nice .

Sanveann
09/11/2011, 12:50 PM
I'm a total newb (as in, my husband and I set up our first SW tank yesterday), but I have to admit I'm glad that I'm not the only one seeing some of the craziness in this show! The phonebooth one particularly threw me for a loop.

redddogg69
09/12/2011, 04:59 PM
Remember that this is a half hour show, the target audience is not your average "ReefCentral" member. We might like to watch a two hour show where they put in 3 fish a month, however Joe Public would get bored and change the channel. ATM i doubt has much control over the editing of each episode and the network needs to keep people watching. Myself as a high end installer (for the past 8 years, and a lifelong aquarist) think this show is entertaining and shows what can be done in the market of high-end public display tanks. K folks flame away i can take it :)

mistaflicksta
09/12/2011, 06:26 PM
Tanked on animal planet has stirred up alot of controversy on Reef Central. I personally like the show and understand that the show is just for enetertainment. Not everything that goes on in the intallation process can be put on TV.

Here is an interview with mr saltwater tank . com

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_WM2clRnr58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealReef7
09/12/2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/main/ full interview

drgolfaholic
09/12/2011, 07:28 PM
interesting interview. I can see their (ATM) dilemma deciding what's to show and not to show.

iamwrasseman
09/12/2011, 07:39 PM
i am reluctant to say that i think it will actually help the industry in a few ways and i dont want to debate much on this subject but even though the fish are not treated in the best way they are treated better than most test monkeys ,rats and other animals used by scientists by the zillions in order to help mankind with many of the drug companies that develop the drugs that keep us "healthy" at their expense. i think that is a larger travesty that we all overlook because it helps us . and we that are aquariusts with a "holier than thou" attitude need to look at the torment that we inflict on many ,many animals for our progress in other ways . i do know that this is not a popular subject and like i stated i was reluctant to even say what i have and thats just to bad i guess ?

bamf25
09/13/2011, 06:04 AM
If what he is say in that interview is true, that the editors and TV presentation is skewing what we are seeing, I will give them a little wiggle room. I still think they put too many fish in too small tanks, but I will take a wait and see attitude with the other stuff.

jeff@zina.com
09/13/2011, 06:59 AM
If what he is say in that interview is true, that the editors and TV presentation is skewing what we are seeing, I will give them a little wiggle room.
You're just realizing that TV, or any media, is always, by definition, skewed? Especially an entertainment show?

And yes, your news is skewed as well. From the moment the 8-year-old future newscaster decided they were scared of spiders, their viewpoint was skewed against spiders. Of course, your viewpoint of the news skews it even more. :)

Jeff

APBonds
09/13/2011, 07:50 AM
First that guys sounds a lot smarter in that interview than on the show lol. Second the owner of my lfs gets fish from exotic reef imports and talked to them about the show. They are doing a little tv magic in the editting room and how it looks is not how they are doing it. I like the show I just didn't like some of the things they were doing, but now I know they aren't doing it exactly like its shown and hopfully they will show the right way to do things next season.

bmkj02
09/13/2011, 09:44 AM
I like the show I just didn't like some of the things they were doing, but now I know they aren't doing it exactly like its shown and hopfully they will show the right way to do things next season.

They better start doing it right quickly or there wont be a season 2. They need to have at least 1 episode showing the equipments they use for filtration, lighting and ect. and the proper maintenance/ procedures at set up before they lose viewers and ratings. I love the show cause of what they make and the people on the show. I dont go into the details cause we all know what to do and its just editied off the show IMO (I hope so). It does give ideas for any of us future builders.

shrimphead
09/13/2011, 10:42 AM
If what he is say in that interview is true, that the editors and TV presentation is skewing what we are seeing, I will give them a little wiggle room. I still think they put too many fish in too small tanks, but I will take a wait and see attitude with the other stuff.

I know what your saying about too many fish but i remember someone on this forum actually rang them up and asked about that and they said the tank was only a promotional thing and was taken down after filming.

maybe they either take the tanks down straight after or take some fish out of the aquariums after filming?

jeff@zina.com
09/13/2011, 10:59 AM
They better start doing it right quickly or there wont be a season 2. They need to have at least 1 episode showing the equipments they use for filtration, lighting and ect. and the proper maintenance/ procedures at set up before they lose viewers and ratings.
Viewers, and ratings, come from the interaction between the on-camera personalities, not the fact that they do aquariums or custom installs or whatever. This isn't a documentary, it's reality TV. Don't compare it with a PBS show, compare it with Survivor, Real World, the Kardashians and Project Runway. Nobody on the show considers it real, only a couple dozen irate viewers who are denizens of Reef Central.

Jeff

cwegescheide
09/13/2011, 11:33 AM

A friend of mine told me about this.. Thats exactly what I was thinking.. Thats rediculous!

bamf25
09/13/2011, 12:01 PM
You're just realizing that TV, or any media, is always, by definition, skewed? Especially an entertainment show?

And yes, your news is skewed as well. From the moment the 8-year-old future newscaster decided they were scared of spiders, their viewpoint was skewed against spiders. Of course, your viewpoint of the news skews it even more. :)

Jeff

I am very very aware of this. There is truely no such thing as non biased. I guess I was just hoping for more and saw less. I will be a little kinder and hope that season two has a little more "education" in it.

charo
09/13/2011, 12:39 PM
A friend of mine told me about this.. Thats exactly what I was thinking.. Thats rediculous!

I read somewhere in one of these many tanked threads that it was a donation from one of the cowboys players.

bmkj02
09/13/2011, 03:02 PM
Rating are based on the viewers. More people watch better chance of renewing second season but if they dont make it more interesting they will start losing viewers = ratings. Its a great way on bringing more people on board but if they dont go into the specifics more they are going to lead the new people in the wrong directions and many upset people. Like I said before we know what to do so it doesnt bother me. I just like it for the ideas it brings

nicks387
09/13/2011, 03:44 PM
I read somewhere in one of these many tanked threads that it was a donation from one of the cowboys players.

Even if it was, The pastor, could have asked that the money goes to helping out some families in need in the community. 4.7 million can help alot of people in serious need.

This has nothing to do with ATM or the show, which I suport actually and find entertaining, I just think as a church, community should come before vanity every time.

Tradewinds
09/13/2011, 05:06 PM
Maybe they should add a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode, as they do on a few other shows, "Don't try this at home!"

jrjones800
09/13/2011, 05:11 PM
why dont all of you quit watching the show

dzfish17
09/13/2011, 05:18 PM

Just so you know, the aquarium was donated by a member of the church who is a football player for the Dallas Cowboys. He makes a ridiculous amount of money and can spend it as he wishes... just like you can spend your money on whatever you want.

vegastyle
09/13/2011, 05:24 PM
It's known all over Las Vegas that the fish in the Phone Botth tank died in 2 weeks and the tank is up for sale. The kelp/camo covered stripper poles are no longer in the Silverton tank either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Juke Box tank is MIA in the diner also.

bamf25
09/13/2011, 05:55 PM
It's known all over Las Vegas that the fish in the Phone Botth tank died in 2 weeks and the tank is up for sale. The kelp/camo covered stripper poles are no longer in the Silverton tank either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Juke Box tank is MIA in the diner also.

Do you have any actual links supporting this?

Rabidgoose
09/13/2011, 06:28 PM
Reality?....perception is reality. The concern on the site arose because of the informed group of people. I fear to the casual viewer they see nothing wrong with the way things are done and might even consider a small tank of their own with thirty fish in it. Whether it be for entertainment purposes or not a short cautionary blurb at the beginning or end of the show doesn't seem to far fetched.

chuck

Jspires688
09/13/2011, 06:58 PM
They use no live rock or live coral this is no different then setting up a qt why would it need cycled if there is nothing alive even the sand is probaly silicate I'm sure they have plenty of running systems to steal some filter media from so my question is do you cycle your qt for a month before you buy a new fish

rayn
09/13/2011, 08:26 PM
Just watched the video and I was happy. I hope all his ideas come about. I like the show, do I laugh at it yeah, but it is entertainment. I am not going there yet for my fish knowledge.

Lynnmw1208
09/13/2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe they should add a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode, as they do on a few other shows, "Don't try this at home!"

+1 my thoughts exactly. Do what mythbusters does and say "we are professionals, don't try this at home"

MS Reef Addict
09/13/2011, 10:59 PM
I watch the show for entertainment purposes only and for that it does its job. It also got my wife more interested in me getting a bigger tank as well.

emora
09/13/2011, 11:23 PM

A church is made up of (and funded by) it's followers. So if that's what they want, I have to respect it. I believe it says a lot about their values and priorities.

Personally, I would have hard time giving money to a church that spends it on frivolous novelties or to maintain the pastor's lavish lifestyle.

emora
09/14/2011, 12:08 AM
Wow now you're comparing them to drug dealers. Are you kidding me? It's a fake show on tv. Get a clue. If you don't like it, don't watch. It's that simple. But by all this moaning and groaning, you're just giving them free advertisement. Guess maybe they should thank you.

I think you are rather gullible if you believe its all a put on. The purpose of a reality show production is to avoid spending money on sets, props, scripts, etc. by filming real life situations. These guys have been commissioned to build those tanks and at the same time they're getting paid to do it on camera.

I believe that tv producers have a lot of responsibility for the messages that they put out. But in this case, the producers have hired the experts. Those "experts" (the stars of the show) are ultimately responsible. And it is obvious what their take is by what they do on the show.

In my opinion, they are only in it for the money and being responsible is not good business in their minds.

I thing it's normal that responsible reef keepers get bent out of shape by that attitude that flies in the face of what we believe in and try to promote.

Amb
09/14/2011, 01:31 AM
I think Emora's right in the sense that as responsible reefkeepers, or even fish keepers in general, or, well, anyone who would keep any live animal, period, should probably feel a little insulted by the way they treat the fish in this show.

I do find it funny that the other day I was watching the show with a few friends of mine who don't keep pets at all, much less any sort of fish, and one of the things they said was "Hey, aren't they supposed to wait a while before putting in the fish? Won't that kill them right off the bat like that?"

So while maybe there are other factors to the show we don't know about, even someone who has no experience in the hobby at all even says "Hey, there's something wrong going on here."

I do think they build some excellent aquariums, and their ideas are completely outside of the box (No pun intended). But then again, they're doing what they're getting paid to do, and that's entertain.

And ultimately I'm not necessarily sure anyone can be faulted right now for making money when right now is one of the hardest times to find a reliable avenue to do so.

LouZ
09/14/2011, 11:01 AM
do you have any actual links supporting this?

+1

emora
09/14/2011, 11:11 AM
+1 my thoughts exactly. Do what mythbusters does and say "we are professionals, don't try this at home"

That's what I mean about being responsible. There are many way of covering those bases if they wanted to.

MMsting
09/14/2011, 11:34 AM
I thing it's normal that responsible reef keepers get bent out of shape by that attitude that flies in the face of what we believe in and try to promote.

+1

I think this show is going to make people believe it's that simple to keep a tank, FW or SW... they're gonna see the beauty in it and say "wow it's that easy" and go out and make it a hobby for about a few months then get bored. I could only bare watching one episode and it wasn't even a full episode. I can't stand that there is barley any talk about the fish they use, the equipment needed, and just the essentials of running a tank. I agree that it's a reality show based only to entertain, but I don't agree it on what they do on that show.

lps1212
09/14/2011, 06:03 PM
i personally like the show its entertaining like anything else they build some bad *** tanks too say the least and that 1 guy reminds me of Doug from King of Queens

SoFloReefer
09/14/2011, 07:58 PM
The show sucks, the people on the show suck, and reality TV sucks. They should make a show about high end reef tanks that are legit, not ridiculous props.

huskerreef
09/14/2011, 09:06 PM
I talked with Brett at macna for a while and he is well aware of the perception the hobbyst have of how things are shown on the show. I get that the network wants ratings and quite frankly it would bore most viewers to death if the spent to much time on the details, its a TV show after all. I also think that a lot of hobbysts tend to be to quick to judge and criticize. I hope that the show inspires new people to have interest in the hobby and want to recreate a little piece of the ocean in their home. Regardless if editing short steps some pretty important items for success. You don't go to Walmart to get your saltwater tank (at least not yet), so I think that the LFS is just as responsable to educate a new customer that has interest in the hobby. If a consumer walks into any LFS, buys a reef tank, salt, sand and 25 Tangs and gets through the check out without anyone talking to them about what they are doing then I think that LFS is more responsable for the death of those animals than any TV network. The show is entertaining, my wife likes it so that one less battle for the remote :lol: and Brett actually seemed like a pretty decent guy, very approachable and didn't take offense to all the hobbysts questioning the shows integrity.

huskerreef
09/14/2011, 09:14 PM
I think you are rather gullible if you believe its all a put on. The purpose of a reality show production is to avoid spending money on sets, props, scripts, etc. by filming real life situations. These guys have been commissioned to build those tanks and at the same time they're getting paid to do it on camera.

I believe that tv producers have a lot of responsibility for the messages that they put out. But in this case, the producers have hired the experts. Those "experts" (the stars of the show) are ultimately responsible. And it is obvious what their take is by what they do on the show.

In my opinion, they are only in it for the money and being responsible is not good business in their minds.

According to Brett, the star of the show they had no say in the editting of the first two episodes. He also added that they are working to have more creative control in season 2 because of how things were potrayed in the early episodes. He said that as hobbysts we should be a lot happier with season 2.

Elite
09/16/2011, 05:50 PM

For sale on Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832#vi-desc

gon08
09/16/2011, 08:13 PM
For sale on Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832#vi-desc

I don't see anywhere on there where it says all Las Vegas knows all the fish are dead. In fact there is a question asked towards the bottom of the page as to why it's being sold and the answer is financial and personal reasons.

gon08
09/16/2011, 08:18 PM
The show sucks, the people on the show suck, and reality TV sucks. They should make a show about high end reef tanks that are legit, not ridiculous props.

And it will be canceled within the first month, cause the only people watching would be reef hobbyists and even then we would criticize it and tear it apart.

bballdad13
09/16/2011, 08:27 PM
I personally LOVE the show.....GOOOOO TANKED!!!!

dixiedog
09/16/2011, 08:42 PM
I just watched about two minutes of it, which was about two minutes too much.

I want my two minutes back.

Mikesville510
09/16/2011, 10:26 PM
why dont all of you quit watching the show

I think we just can't turn away from the fishes! :inlove:

I'm someone who was also irked by the way they treated and acclimated fish, like why they put in a tang in that small jukebox tank.

If anything, I liked looking at the fish on the show, and yes, that red head is a hott. :lol: Other than that, the ideas they use are as asinine and dumb as what west coast customs did on pimp my ride. Though I will say they're really good at construction and tank related fabrication.

Mikesville510
09/16/2011, 10:41 PM
The clients on the show are all also really dumb. Who knows? Maybe they're the ones driving the tanked company to take shortcuts like acclimation because of tight deadlines. The over top theme tanks like the phone booth kill me.

Gillundr
09/16/2011, 11:28 PM
I wasn't going to post in this thread but I wanted to just point out a couple of things. What you see on the TV and what they do in reality are two VERY different things. I know the show has all sorts of things wrong with it and they may be doing some things wrong BUT the producers can edit things and put something you do tomorrow in front of something you did yesterday, and they can take short phrases from New York and put them into a place in Vegas. I am currently involved in a reality TV series for Nat Geo (it's a dangerous job type like Deadliest Catch or Swamp Loggers)that will be aired at some point this year. I was there during filming and am now in charge of reviewing the episodes and the things they do both during filming and during the editing process makes things seem totally different than what they are.
Heck, the producer needed more of the talk you see guys do (the little comments during scenes) and went to the guy he needed the comments from. The filming took place during winter when it was freezing out, and the extra comments were filmed in 90 degree heat in a totally different part of the country. The guy talking had to wear his sweatshirt and dress warm like it was cold out, it's funny, you see him sweating and all heat flushed when it supposed to be 10 degrees. lol I don't imagine the average viewer will notice though.
Anyways I'm just saying, we probably don't see a lot of the technical stuff and the show needs to move along as well as create drama in order to keep people watching. It sounds like a lot of people are watching just to see what fish they will kill next. Give them a little break, and see what next season brings maybe. I know our season 1 and 2 are totally different even though neither has aired yet they have both been filmed.

bif24701
09/17/2011, 01:27 AM
I watch the show, like to see the fish.

I would like some more educational stuff in it, and some more effort to care for the marine life better or at least more into that side of it too. Maybe one show could show more details about the life support systems the tanks have and how the design/build them.

Don't think they should be calling one of the employees "redneck". Seems unprofessional and sets a poor example to kids who I'm sure watch the show. Just my $.02

I love the 1/4 pipe skateboard ramp, WOW! It was amazing!

LennyD4
09/17/2011, 09:29 AM
I love the show, and I'm sure they acclimate their fish correctly but its all edited out. The one glaring problem I saw though was the new "Skateboard Ramp Tank" , dont you think the fish are scared s**tless when someone flies up and slams on their tank with a skateboard? That part I do think is wrong.

AcroporAddict
09/17/2011, 12:25 PM
Take a look at this ebay ad for the Tanked Phone Booth Tank. There are some pics of the filtration system they placed on this tank. Look at the state of the art Top Fathom skimmer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220855263832?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l 1313%26_nkw%3D220855263832%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1001wt_922

Marinworld
09/17/2011, 04:50 PM
The last episode with the skateboard tank had to be the most rediculous thing I ever have seen. Can you imagine the sound when the skateboarder slams into the tank out of the blue. What is the matter with these guys, can't they say NO to anything? Obviously it's all about the money at any cost. Who cares if the fish all die from shell shock!!

Can't wait for season 2. Let's see how much dumber it can get.

reefkeeps
09/17/2011, 05:05 PM
Take a look at this ebay ad for the Tanked Phone Booth Tank. There are some pics of the filtration system they placed on this tank. Look at the state of the art Top Fathom skimmer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220855263832?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l 1313%26_nkw%3D220855263832%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1001wt_922

wow....thanks for sharing!

LMason90
09/17/2011, 06:39 PM
i dont think the guys from "tanked" understand the Nitrogen Cycle.....or the fact that they load the sh** out of their tanks. I paused the show at one point and the most beautiful blonde naso tang was COVERED in ick...and was breathing soooooo fast.

I also dont know why the guys at exotic reef imports let them puff up the puffers either and stress them out...

Baldwin
09/17/2011, 06:44 PM
I wasn't going to post in this thread but I wanted to just point out a couple of things. What you see on the TV and what they do in reality are two VERY different things. I know the show has all sorts of things wrong with it and they may be doing some things wrong BUT the producers can edit things and put something you do tomorrow in front of something you did yesterday, and they can take short phrases from New York and put them into a place in Vegas. I am currently involved in a reality TV series for Nat Geo (it's a dangerous job type like Deadliest Catch or Swamp Loggers)that will be aired at some point this year. I was there during filming and am now in charge of reviewing the episodes and the things they do both during filming and during the editing process makes things seem totally different than what they are.
Heck, the producer needed more of the talk you see guys do (the little comments during scenes) and went to the guy he needed the comments from. The filming took place during winter when it was freezing out, and the extra comments were filmed in 90 degree heat in a totally different part of the country. The guy talking had to wear his sweatshirt and dress warm like it was cold out, it's funny, you see him sweating and all heat flushed when it supposed to be 10 degrees. lol I don't imagine the average viewer will notice though.
Anyways I'm just saying, we probably don't see a lot of the technical stuff and the show needs to move along as well as create drama in order to keep people watching. It sounds like a lot of people are watching just to see what fish they will kill next. Give them a little break, and see what next season brings maybe. I know our season 1 and 2 are totally different even though neither has aired yet they have both been filmed.

Seriously this guy is on point, and brett had a good opinion in a recent interview. The show is good to promot the hobby, let the lfs tell people the right methods. If they werent successful at what they do they wouldnt have their own show.

Baldwin
09/17/2011, 06:51 PM
I watch the show, like to see the fish.

I would like some more educational stuff in it, and some more effort to care for the marine life better or at least more into that side of it too. Maybe one show could show more details about the life support systems the tanks have and how the design/build them.

Don't think they should be calling one of the employees "redneck". Seems unprofessional and sets a poor example to kids who I'm sure watch the show. Just my $.02

I love the 1/4 pipe skateboard ramp, WOW! It was amazing!

Im originally from west virginia where the term "redneck" originated. Original rednecks were against coal mine company stores and marched on to the battle of blair mountain (where a lot died) for a just cause. People who see the term redneck as a derogatory term dont know the history of the word. They wore red bandanas around their neck to symbolize unity. These were brave men.

Matthew91
09/18/2011, 07:46 AM
Don't hate the player, Hate the game

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tank-interviews-brett-raymer-star-of-animal-planets-tanked/

vegastyle
09/18/2011, 09:32 PM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=phone+booth+aquarium+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=phonebooth+aquarium&_rdc=1

gon08
09/18/2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=phone+booth+aquarium+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=phonebooth+aquarium&_rdc=1

That doesn't prove anything. It states that the owners are selling the tank due to financial reasons. Three different people have posted links to support the original claim that it is well known around Las Vegas that all the fish died but the three have posted the same link to ebay which means nothing more than the tank is for sale.

boostat4500
09/18/2011, 10:32 PM
If he's going to promote education in his state, the least he could do is learn to pronounce "Nevada" correctly. I do like his idea for the schools though. And God knows, this state needs all the help it can get.

bamf25
09/19/2011, 12:09 PM
If he's going to promote education in his state, the least he could do is learn to pronounce "Nevada" correctly. I do like his idea for the schools though. And God knows, this state needs all the help it can get.

People from the East Coast to generally pronounce Nevaha as Ne-vah-da as opposed to Ne-vA-da. Just a regonal thing, and I do it also, and I know the local way to say it it the second way.

lucky_snapper
09/19/2011, 12:46 PM
Did anybody see last week where they said that they gumball tank was 250 gallon and had 50 fish in it? It seems like a heck of allot of fish with no cover for them to hide in ...

Pallobi
09/19/2011, 04:29 PM
the show is horrible, and a horribly bad example of what is right and wrong...

twintrades
09/19/2011, 06:53 PM
I know people givem alota crap but It all comes down to the allmighty $$ in the end.

The skate board tank might never get actualy used. THe gumball tank is round and most of the fish they put in were schooling type to the shape would give the fish the illusion of neverending space. I think they do overstock the tanks some bit. But its not a goodenuf reason not to watch it. Im glad theres a show promoting our hobby !

THere are way to many differnt variables to consider when judging how things are done. If it was more educational it would end up on PBS and who watches that ?

orcus
09/19/2011, 09:14 PM
If it was more educational it would end up on PBS and who watches that ?

I do! Nova's show on cuttlefish was amazing.

jinks
09/19/2011, 10:07 PM

Okay now you are just nitpicking.

Did you see when they went out to eat. Those jerks were using their salad forks for the pasta and a soup spoon to stir coffee. I let the electronic nanny raise my children and now their table manners are shot.

bif24701
09/20/2011, 01:06 AM
Im originally from west virginia where the term "redneck" originated. Original rednecks were against coal mine company stores and marched on to the battle of blair mountain (where a lot died) for a just cause. People who see the term redneck as a derogatory term dont know the history of the word. They wore red bandanas around their neck to symbolize unity. These were brave men.

Any word used in a negative, degrading, or derogatory manner as a lable is bad in eyes, and on national TV! They are using the word as label and obviously not in a positive way.

I was born and raised in West Virginia, and if it weren't for the fact I am currently serving on active duty I would still be there. GO MOUNTAINEERS!

nateqt
09/20/2011, 02:08 AM
http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tank-interviews-brett-raymer-star-of-animal-planets-tanked/

this was prolly posted already but if not watch it, explains a lot

Baldwin
09/20/2011, 09:36 AM
Any word used in a negative, degrading, or derogatory manner as a lable is bad in eyes, and on national TV! They are using the word as label and obviously not in a positive way.

I was born and raised in West Virginia, and if it weren't for the fact I am currently serving on active duty I would still be there. GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Obviously you must be from northern wv, to not know the facts on this subject... they've also said several times "redneck is are head builder, he can build anything." i don't see how that is derogatory at all.

Flippers4pups
09/20/2011, 09:51 AM
"Can't wait for season 2. Let's see how much dumber it can get."

Let's all hope not. Just let this one die off into the sunset.

khowst
09/20/2011, 12:59 PM
Season 2 can and will happen. The best part of why it is going to happen is cause all the people that hate the show tune in week after week and help keep the ratings up. So ultimately the haters are feeding thier own fire. awesome!

bif24701
09/20/2011, 10:59 PM
Obviously you must be from northern wv, to not know the facts on this subject... they've also said several times "redneck is are head builder, he can build anything." i don't see how that is derogatory at all.

For the record I'm well educated on WV, however that has little to do with labeling people.

doctorgori
09/21/2011, 06:55 AM

just stumbled on this thread, that was a brave post (got more kahunas than me) ... I agree FWIW

Season 2 can and will happen. The best part of why it is going to happen is cause all the people that hate the show tune in week after week and help keep the ratings up. So ultimately the haters are feeding thier own fire. awesome!

...i.e "Howard Stern", "Rush Limbaugh", "Glenn Beck" and I can name 1 dozen other media moguls on TV and Radio....makes you wonder if the Human Race truly consist of a higher percentage of dummies than we care to admit or we just love watching train wrecks...

...the fact we are even dignifying this show with conversation proves thier tactics work

DownwardDawg
09/21/2011, 08:29 AM
I watched 10 minutes of an episode the other night. I'll never get that 10 minutes of my life back. I'll never tune in again.

jinks
09/21/2011, 10:02 PM
Well i would say people are trolling, but i don't want to label anyone and belittle them.

no694terry
09/22/2011, 11:19 AM
I too have been worried about this show. I don't know if they let these tanks cycle off-air or what but the only one i ever saw that i had a bit of hope for was the fungshai tank with the sump in the basement, but then right around the same time they made a keg tank mixed with african and american cichlids that don't belong near each other and come from two completely didferent water chemistries.

NyReefNoob
09/22/2011, 05:08 PM
< is a proud redneck, and the term came from farmers, not what most people think

Bryzoan
09/22/2011, 08:36 PM
Love it or hate it, this show has the potential of doing for the hobby/industry what "Finding Nemo" did..., that is capture a new aquarium keeping audience, generation. I think that if the aquarium hobby/industry has a snow balls chance in Hell of surviving future generations, etc. then we need to stand back, swallow our aquarium keeping moral pride and let the moment happen. No doubt it is a shame for the animals involved during those circumstances....(all the "Tanked" fish additions, and all the misappropriated "Nemos"), but that is part of the deal, gotta take the good with the bad...
As far as the show is concerned, I do think the "The General" is the man behind the curtain, and they would not be the success and operation they are, without him. Also, I like how the "camera" makes it seem like there are only 4-5 people running that business and keeping house at that big honkin' building they got, lol!

super stooge
09/23/2011, 01:29 AM
i believe people are missing the point of this discussion. As viewers, we can only judge what we see. As many people have pointed out already, after editing, reality and reality TV are two very different things. Comments about the builders practices and personalities are premature in my opinion due to this fact. All we can pass judgment on is the show itself and its effects. Do i have differences in opinion in how to set up an aquarium to brett? yes. i am not closed minded enough to believe that "my way" is the only way though, especially seeing as he is a far more experienced hobbyist than me. Maybe his seeded bioballs work great for him?, i dont know.

Having said that though, the way the show is presented portrays terrible fishkeeping practices. Even if all of the precautions are taken behind the scenes, the viewing audience doesnt see this. theres a saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". While extra exposure for the hobby would be a good thing i believe that the hobby being shown in this way does far more harm than good. Simply saying that the show is for "entertainment purposes" doesnt excuse the presenters and the network from any responsibility either. Someone who posts videos of a dog fighting ring for "entertainment" is still responsible for what they have put out into the world.

If ATM are doing everything right and are following proper practices to keep the fish happy and healthy in their systems but this just isnt being shown through the editing process, the responsible thing to do would be to change their contract or pull out from the show.
Right now it is being portrayed as "this is how the experts do it:
1. buy your tank
2. fill with whatever water you can find
3. choose 2-300 of the prettiest fish you can find and dump them in
4. invite your friends over to drool over your beautiful tank. work done forever".
Im not saying this is ATM's process, but that is how it is being presented to the novice aquarist who sees this show and wants a tank, and ATM are applying their name and their brand as the experts behind this idea. you only need to look at the comments posted on youtube videos to see the effect of people wanting large Super Heavy stocked tanks with no forethought. "i want a tank like this, how much will it cost, please respond".

I know we live in the real world and a 30 minute show about how a skimmer works wont get ratings, but even a short disclaimer at the begining of the episode to say something like "these tanks have been built and stocked by professionals who have taken special precautions beforehand to ensure the health and well being of the tanks inhabitants" will be a vast improvement.

From what i have seen, ATM are obviously master tank fabricators with highly skilled employees. I believe that their practices have been shown in a terrible light by editing and they deserve the benefit of the doubt on some points. Having said that though, while the show is entertaining i believe it will do far more harm than good to the hobby and there will be a great many failed or problem tanks in people's homes based off of this show.

dimitrge
09/23/2011, 07:44 AM
Those guys build amazing tanks. Its a reality show. If it were educational noboby would watch. They show finished product and leave out what goes into it. I dont think its responsible reefkeeping but thats TV. I have seen them get better with including bits and pieces. QT Tanks for example, acclimating fish. I personally like it and its cool to watch the tanks they make.

alton
09/23/2011, 07:50 AM
People it is an entertainment show. On the episode where they had the skate boarding they showed more skate boarding then setting up the tank. Think of it as two and half men setting up aquariums.

BBraker
09/24/2011, 08:14 AM
So; I was all set to "hate" this show. After watching through all of the episodes, I began to accept it, and then even started to enjoy it (for what it is). However, last night was all re-runs! This show does NOT hold up well to viewing a second time for me. I started focussing less on the "reality/people" aspect and spent more time picking out all the animal husbandry problems...not fun any longer.....

Bill

Aqua Goddeess
09/26/2011, 05:15 PM
Know and work with these guys personally on tanks all over the country. They are amazing at what they do. Animal planet funds a lot of the crazy designs for the show interest. There is so much editing on the show I can barely keep up with how many times one thing was filmed.

They are definitely experts though. I don't worry about them at all and hope the show drives different realms of their business. Wayde is funny and a good-hearted business man that will work very hard to make sure I get exactly what I need for my projects.

alton
09/27/2011, 05:44 AM
Know and work with these guys personally on tanks all over the country. They are amazing at what they do. Animal planet funds a lot of the crazy designs for the show interest. There is so much editing on the show I can barely keep up with how many times one thing was filmed.

They are definitely experts though. I don't worry about them at all and hope the show drives different realms of their business. Wayde is funny and a good-hearted business man that will work very hard to make sure I get exactly what I need for my projects.

You have to take most of the comments on this post with a grain of salt. You could post the perfect aquarium and somebody would find fault, you could show the best fish store in the world and someone would say "It is too expensive". It is a wonder how some of these people get up in the morning and enjoy life. Aqua if it possible I think it would be neat to see how you build a large circular tank from start to finish because what ATM does is amazing in building tanks. If I hear one more comment on how the term redneck came about I am going to puke. No one on my Grandmother's farm called me redneck, it wasn't until high school where everyone was stereotyped and because we had short hair and loved country music we where called rednecks. Then Urban Cowboy came out and next thing everybody went out and bought boots.

Batreef
09/27/2011, 01:43 PM
i do think the show will overall grow the hobby however i do believe that they are completely irresponsible with the livestock and to be quite hinest not real educated.

Tizzo
09/27/2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bffe258

nicks387
09/27/2011, 07:36 PM
I am shocked at how many people think they can do things better then these guys but don't have million dollar companies relating to the hobby or there own TV shows. Wierd, you would think all you know it alls would have your own show.

nicks387
09/27/2011, 07:40 PM
The one who said:

"If ATM are doing everything right and are following proper practices to keep the fish happy and healthy in their systems but this just isnt being shown through the editing process, the responsible thing to do would be to change their contract or pull out from the show."

Are you serious? Anyone who would pull out of a show that puts there company on TV for millions of people to see and provides not only free advertising, but I am sure a nice paycheck, would be an fool. Period.

And who cares if the phonebooth tank is for sale? People buy tanks and sell them to get out all the time in this hobby, people buy all kinds of pets even and sell them too when they realize it takes work to keep them. Thats not ATM's fault. They just build tanks. Thats all. They dont build hobbyists. just tanks.

mistaflicksta
09/27/2011, 08:07 PM
nicks387, I couldn't of said it better myself.

one of the local store owners was just going on and on about how wrong the show was and when I asked him why he was not on TV yet, I got the F U stare and the conversation was over

khowst
09/27/2011, 08:12 PM
WTS SECOND SEASON!!!!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/09/27/tanked-renewed-by-animal-planet-for-a-second-season/105083/

Can I get a hell yeah!

Told ya, all the haters tuning in would bump those ratings up. lol.

Aqua Goddeess
09/27/2011, 08:22 PM
They keep their livestock in their store. It's not shipped from ERI directly to the maintenance site.

Plus production of the show was in effect almost two years ago... Then the economy tanked (pun completely intended of course), and Vegas was hit almost as hard as Detroit. 14% unemployment rate. Most of the tanks from the first season are in businesses that have since closed their doors. That's why they sell them again on eBay.

You won't see too much technical stuff on the show because a lot of their techniques are trade secret. Like how they can glue pieces together with nary a seam to been shown.

Alphabet
09/27/2011, 10:51 PM
2nd season almost here so those that like it will tune in and those that dont can change the channel.
Great Company, great history, and one heck of a staff. ( ck out their website)

You can compare it to American Chopper, how many people (with common sense or half a brain) will watch a TV program and say lets build a bike...? :hmm3:

I know there will be a few......LOL!!

just my .02c again!!!

Tizzo
09/27/2011, 11:05 PM
And who cares if the phonebooth tank is for sale? People buy tanks and sell them to get out all the time in this hobby, people buy all kinds of pets even and sell them too when they realize it takes work to keep them. Thats not ATM's fault. They just build tanks. Thats all. They dont build hobbyists. just tanks.

Oh you are correct. They build tanks, and the tanks are beautiful and I wish them success in that area. They do not build hobbiests, true. My problem lies when they hand over dependant living animals to customers that they know are not hobbiests. Build the tank, fill it with water start up the filtration, then leave. Nobody should ever hand over a PET to an unfit caretaker! The tank is for sale because the fish died with in 4 days. Now, while you may not care, some of us do- and we have that perogative. Granted, theres nothing we as hobbiests can do about it, so we should be able to "vent" in an atmosphere that is supposed to care for these critters, above the dollars. In this hobby, we loose thousands FOR these animals, yet we will defend their actions with the justification of profit?? That is your perogative, however for those of us that feel like this is morally wrong, please, just let us feel that way!! Not everything has to be an argument! You see logic in their methods, I see logic in confining them to ONLY building tanks.

asonitez
09/28/2011, 06:41 AM
I think Rodney Reynolds the LAFISHGUY should have his own show. He does a HELL o a lot better than these tanked folks. Admittedly... i am entertained.

Aqua Goddeess
09/28/2011, 07:30 AM
Oh you are correct. They build tanks, and the tanks are beautiful and I wish them success in that area. They do not build hobbiests, true. My problem lies when they hand over dependant living animals to customers that they know are not hobbiests. Build the tank, fill it with water start up the filtration, then leave. Nobody should ever hand over a PET to an unfit caretaker! The tank is for sale because the fish died with in 4 days. Now, while you may not care, some of us do- and we have that perogative. Granted, theres nothing we as hobbiests can do about it, so we should be able to "vent" in an atmosphere that is supposed to care for these critters, above the dollars. In this hobby, we loose thousands FOR these animals, yet we will defend their actions with the justification of profit?? That is your perogative, however for those of us that feel like this is morally wrong, please, just let us feel that way!! Not everything has to be an argument! You see logic in their methods, I see logic in confining them to ONLY building tanks.

The fish didn't die. They are a full service company as well so they do the full care and maintenance of the tanks. Don't spread rumors like the fish died in 4 days. When the tank was broken down the fish went back to their store. Oh and that tank was filmed more than a year ago. I like their maintenance guys. They really do care about the little guys and most of them have their own menageries at home.

Tizzo
09/28/2011, 07:36 AM
I hope you are correct. My "source" admittedly isn't verified, however, it's easy to believe.

The story I got was, the fish all died, when the customer complained, they said "for a fee" they will come back and add new stock and maintain the tank. The fee was to high so the owner opted out.

And that the owner didn't call them for this tank, but rather he was approached byu the guys on the show to do it.

If that's all wrong, let me know, I'll graciously concede, as I only have word of mouth

Aqua Goddeess
09/28/2011, 07:49 AM
Animal planet funds most of the tanks for the show. If the customers didn't want to pay for the service contract then ATM takes the tanks back. There has only been one problem with a tank that I've heard of and that was because a circuit in the building went out.

nicks387
09/28/2011, 09:39 AM
My problem lies when they hand over dependant living animals to customers that they know are not hobbiests. Build the tank, fill it with water start up the filtration, then leave. Nobody should ever hand over a PET to an unfit caretaker!

Actually Local fish stores and pet stores and online vendors around the country do this every single day. Go to any site and order fish and see if the site makes you fill out any kind of questionaire about your hobby experience.

The tank is for sale because the fish died with in 4 days. Now, while you may not care, some of us do- and we have that perogative. Granted, theres nothing we as hobbiests can do about it, so we should be able to "vent" in an atmosphere that is supposed to care for these critters, above the dollars. In this hobby, we loose thousands FOR these animals, yet we will defend their actions with the justification of profit?? That is your perogative, however for those of us that feel like this is morally wrong, please, just let us feel that way!! Not everything has to be an argument! You see logic in their methods, I see logic in confining them to ONLY building tanks.

I never said they only build tanks. I said they dont build hobbyists. They DO however maintain tanks so you have no true knowledge that they fill a tank with fish and just leave. I would think that while in a customers house for hours installing a tank they give that customer a heck of alot more info then the average store that sells them a tank at the counter in 5 minutes and sends them out the door.
If a person buys a tank like this and doesnt pay someone to care for it or doesn't go out and do his or her research to do whats needed to care for it then its 100% there fault. Not the fault of ATM for selling them the tank.
I too have the perogative to post my opinion here as well if I think your opinion is unjustly misleading and without proof. So do not tell me to not post just because it is not the same view as yours.

Jacwil
09/28/2011, 01:42 PM
Actually Local fish stores and pet stores and online vendors around the country do this every single day. Go to any site and order fish and see if the site makes you fill out any kind of questionaire about your hobby experience.

I never said they only build tanks. I said they dont build hobbyists. They DO however maintain tanks so you have no true knowledge that they fill a tank with fish and just leave. I would think that while in a customers house for hours installing a tank they give that customer a heck of alot more info then the average store that sells them a tank at the counter in 5 minutes and sends them out the door.
If a person buys a tank like this and doesnt pay someone to care for it or doesn't go out and do his or her research to do whats needed to care for it then its 100% there fault. Not the fault of ATM for selling them the tank.
I too have the perogative to post my opinion here as well if I think your opinion is unjustly misleading and without proof. So do not tell me to not post just because it is not the same view as yours.

Couldn't have stated it any better...+1!!

Fish Biscuit
09/28/2011, 04:04 PM
Writing a check for tank maintenance every 2 weeks does not exactly make you a responsible fish owner either. There are things that still need to be done within that time besides throwing a few flakes or frozen cubes in the tank.

The tank builds are always interesting but I go with the consensus that there are way too many fish put into a tank at once. Definitely not a "how to" show & more along the lines of "what not to do" for success. But it is what it is, just a tv show.

Bluetangclan
09/29/2011, 09:27 AM
I havent been to their website. I would hope it goes into the more technical details of how they successfully start tanks with what most of us agree on, with good practical and likely learned reason, is fairly irresponsible fish stocking. I do not want the show to end however because as much ammo as I think it gives to groups like PETA who want nothing more than to shut our hobby down, I think it adds that much to potential hobbiests as well who perhaps havent seen tanks like this before. I think most of their designs are silly as hell, really skateboarding on a fish tank? But their more normal designs are really cool, I love the fungshui tank and the circular proposal tank even though I greatly disagreed with the stocking on the latter. I think though one of the reasons I liked the fungshui tank much more than any other they have done is that it was real. There wasnt a lot of fakeness to it, they sort of went into detail on the filtration system so it actually seemed like a real tank one of us might build on a larger scale. I would hope most of their other tanks have similar support equipment and such.

I looked at the phone booth tank on ebay, I actually like that it does have a good deal of support equipment included that was not shown on the show. Doesnt make me want it any more but at least there is some thought to more than just the tank itself and pretty fish inside it. I would absolutely love to get hold of a tall tank like that, I would have a badass deepwater biotope tank with it. I wonder how much something like that would cost to get built locally and how would you take care of it?

H2OTight
09/30/2011, 07:15 PM
I guess watching a cool tank being built and installed and then watching it cycle would be kind of boring.

Bluetangclan
09/30/2011, 07:23 PM
From the looks of it, many times they do not have time to cycle them. They get these deadlines. Like the gumball machine tank or the proposal tank, those had very harsh timelines they had to follow. I think the proposal tank had what, a two week time frame from being ordered to delivery and setup? The car tank I think was even tighter than that. They definately are not going through the cycle process on every tank. I would like to know how they do this. It defies logic and ethics if they skip this slightly important part of the tank building process leaving the customer in the lurch. Not to mention the horrible algae blooms they would have.

Aqua Goddeess
09/30/2011, 07:43 PM
Bacteria and water add-in from cycled tanks at the shop. And fish don't need a serious cycling time when there isn't dead rock bacteria dying off and forming again.

Roblox84
09/30/2011, 08:25 PM
From the looks of it, many times they do not have time to cycle them. They get these deadlines. Like the gumball machine tank or the proposal tank, those had very harsh timelines they had to follow. I think the proposal tank had what, a two week time frame from being ordered to delivery and setup? The car tank I think was even tighter than that. They definately are not going through the cycle process on every tank. I would like to know how they do this. It defies logic and ethics if they skip this slightly important part of the tank building process leaving the customer in the lurch. Not to mention the horrible algae blooms they would have.

Since I never seen them actually tap into a water spicket I just assumed they have a giant vat of cured saltwater on their truck that they fill the tanks up with using a long hose.

But for discussion purposes I would also like to mention that most of the customers on the show aren't really into the hobby as a "hobby". Unlike probably most people on reefcentral that are diyer's and read about the hobby to learn reefkeeping, and somewhat like taking care of the tank and doing maintenance, for ATM's customers it's more of a status symbol than a hobby. So even if ATM didn't practice responsible fishkeeping, it wouldn't matter because 90 percent of their customers will just pay to replace any dead fish, or just blame their tank maintenance guy. I myself, and probably for other hobbyists, I like researching the fish myself and planning the tank. But they wouldn't make much money of people that like doing it themselves of course so they mostly cater to the people that don't know anything about reefkeeping.

nicks387
09/30/2011, 08:51 PM
The bio media in the filters is already biologically active from a giant system at the shop for those occasions and they also seed it with a comercial grade bacteria that they will actually be bringing to market soon for faster cycle times. The interview Bret did at MACNA explained this.

mcfa2403
09/30/2011, 10:40 PM
Just thought someone should point out that most first time hobbyists are more likely to walk in to the lfs and see a naso tang kept in a tank of no more than 20 gallons and not realize it is in a larger system and will not be kept there for long, than to watch this show and think that they can put however many fish in too small a setup. I have seen more customers walk in and think that the lfs stocking standards are appropriate than I can count. The only reason people don't do this is because the lfs (addmitedly hopefully does this) tells them what is appropriate. I don't see anyone on here boycotting their lfs because they keep 12 clownfish in one tank. Sorry, that last statement was slightly inflammatory but until the show does something illegal I dont feel that anyone has the right to judge them so harshly. Honestly if it is an ethics issue realize that fish are not domestic animals and keeping them in a tank regardless of your qualifications is most likely unethical to someone, how would you feel if they came on here and attacked you. That said I do believe a disclaimer would be nice. However, I can't say I've ever seen a disclaimer on any show or movie discouraging the buying of pets for holidays which very often leads to abandonment/flushing of animal depending on species. And as far as the phonebooth tank goes, until someone can prove a tank crash due to irresponsible fishkeeping you should probably let it go. Just go to the selling dry goods page and I gaurantee there is a tank for sale but I doubt you are attacking them asking them why they are getting rid of it (I know its a weak argument but so is "this fsh tanks for sale so the show must have killed all the fish")

Anyways that was my rant. I can be long winded so take what I have to say with a grain of salt and while what I say sounds like it, I don't always think I am right but like everyone else I want to give my two cents.

mcfa2403
09/30/2011, 11:15 PM
PS I am looking to get a large tank shortly when I move and out of curiousity got a bid on the cost of a tank from ATM. Needless to say the price was not the best and I seriously doubt anyone truly interested in the hobby goes to them as their first choice for a setup. Their work seems tailored towards the individual who wants something pretty to look at and can shell out what it takes to have something unique without having to do the maintenance. I would think most people who want to tailor a tank after this show but care little for the hobby would be individuals who could afford to do the same. Sure maybe someone goes out and buys a 55 gallon tank for a dollar per gallon after seeing the show, but even if the stocking lists on the show were spot on, I can absolutely gaurantee that they would overstock it when they found out what they could put in it. Everyone wants tons of large beautiful fish and the person who doesn't care about the hobby is going to get them no matter what they are told. The best you can hope is that the costs add up so fast they give up. It makes me sad to enjoy a hobby so much and see people get so wound up over something they can't control and act like somehow what they do is more meaningful. Yes, these are delicate animals but all animals suffer this same neglectful fate. How many dog owners are there that own three dog toys, buy the cheapest dog food at wal mart, and never exercise their dog all of which leads to health issues, poor life quality, and often early death. For every one reality show with a fish tank there are hundreds with dogs where the animal is never shown getting quality care and I'm sure somewhere people complain about this too. Anyways, my point is that the issue isn't television its the owner, people want things cheap and to their specifications and honestly if you want that to change people have to want to understand the hobby which they wont without shows like this peeking interest. Once people start to recognize then standards come about for the care of the animal. I think this is an extremely intriguing and special hobby so why not share it and honestly the best way to instill responsible reefkeeping habits is by talking to new hobbyists and helping them out. There is a reason colleges teach using a knowledgable PERSON not a televsiion show. There is no way to make marine keeping exclusive and in my opinion I feel that is what some (definately not all or even most) people having issue with the show are trying to do. No offense aquagoddess but it makes me a little sad that they have trade secrets about how to successfully keep fish as much as anything because this is a hobby that works best built on collaboration. Anyways, I love this hobby and honestly hope that no fish have suffered because of this show but I see this as a cost/benefit scenario and right now it seems to early to judge to which side this will actually tip. (On a side note I am pretty sure that finding Nemo made keeping aquarium fish seem immoral... so really it doesn't matter what the message is just how people choose to percieve it)

Aqua Goddeess
10/01/2011, 05:49 AM
The trade secrets are for acrylic molding, you won't see much about how they make the tanks. They are great at fish keeping and I like talking to their whole staff. They are the ones that taught me how to buff my acrylic underwater. They had to show me a lot of techniques so I didn't harm the fish. As I said, a lot of the technicians are themselves hobbyists.

I'm enjoying the thread that has erupted from 30second montages of footage that is so over-edited it's from days of filming the same process more than 100 times.

JDMhoes
10/01/2011, 10:14 AM
simply if you don't like it...Don't watch it...Its way more entertaining and different from those stupid reality shows.

Roblox84
10/01/2011, 02:20 PM
PS I am looking to get a large tank shortly when I move and out of curiousity got a bid on the cost of a tank from ATM. Needless to say the price was not the best and I seriously doubt anyone truly interested in the hobby goes to them as their first choice for a setup.

Just out of curiousity what where you looking for and how much did they quote you? I'm interested in their pricing just for shyts and giggles because they don't talk about much pricing on their show, probably for a reason. I also wonder how much they charge to come set it up with fish and then how much they want to maintain it.

Either than that I really like the show. I know sometimes they put incompatible livestock together, but i'm just glad they have a cool aquarium show on tv rather then something stupid like another real world or jersey shore.

scionreefing
10/01/2011, 04:03 PM
I know sometimes they put incompatible livestock together, but i'm just glad they have a cool aquarium show on tv rather then something stupid like another real world or jersey shore.

Technically its just like Jersey Shore just a tap bit more retarded.

Raffle grabber

Roblox84
10/01/2011, 04:05 PM
Technically its just like Jersey Shore just a tap bit more retarded.

Raffle grabber

Yeah, I kinda forgot they're all guidos also. Ive only seen the first two shows

sledge760
10/01/2011, 04:41 PM
God Almighty...What a bunch of cry babies!!! Finally get a show on TV that at least shows the pleasures of fish-keeping, and from what I have been hearing has revitalized the industry, and all you people do is complain that they are not to the tee on their methods.

Please bring back the show next season.

Voxboy
10/02/2011, 09:38 AM
Never heard of the show until this thread. Watched a clip of the "skateboard ramp" episode. I get upset if someone taps their finger on my tank. When the guy bounced off the tank with his board..........I cringed.

mikezalewski
10/02/2011, 10:01 AM
I know when I saw the skateboard episode i did the same! Now the one with the little boy that has had to have a lot of surgeries and they made a bed under the fish tank was sweet!!! almost made me cry just to think that it would help his recovery ;)

AcroporAddict
10/02/2011, 10:42 AM
God Almighty...What a bunch of cry babies!!! Finally get a show on TV that at least shows the pleasures of fish-keeping, and from what I have been hearing has revitalized the industry, and all you people do is complain that they are not to the tee on their methods.

Please bring back the show next season.

They got renewed for Season 2.

hybridazn
10/02/2011, 10:50 AM
I sure hope they show me how to set up a reef tank, since it seems like nobody knows how and need a tv show to guide them thru it...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

camaroracer214
10/02/2011, 11:03 AM
Bacteria and water add-in from cycled tanks at the shop. And fish don't need a serious cycling time when there isn't dead rock bacteria dying off and forming again.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. The water isn't full of bacteria like you would imagine. The bacteria live in the live sand and on the rock...that's why they are called live and that's why they (or some other type of media substitute) are necessary for a chemically balanced aquarium.

And a fish only tank with no live rock does need a cycling time. If you have a brand new tank, dump in 50-300 fish at one time, they are all going to be excreting ammonia...and all at the same time. The bacteria cannot convert the ammonia fast enough, hence the fish die. sure, you could add different chemicals to the water to speed up the cycle, but with no real surface area to grow bacteria, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

gon08
10/02/2011, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. The water isn't full of bacteria like you would imagine. The bacteria live in the live sand and on the rock...that's why they are called live and that's why they (or some other type of media substitute) are necessary for a chemically balanced aquarium.

And a fish only tank with no live rock does need a cycling time. If you have a brand new tank, dump in 50-300 fish at one time, they are all going to be excreting ammonia...and all at the same time. The bacteria cannot convert the ammonia fast enough, hence the fish die. sure, you could add different chemicals to the water to speed up the cycle, but with no real surface area to grow bacteria, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I think you couldn't be more wrong, although her explanation wasn't clear. You absolutely can seed a new tank with bio media from an established tank which can allow you to skip the cycle period. Add to that, they use a proprietary bacterial additive and it is very possible to add fish to a brand new tank. We used to have barrels filled with bio balls which were plumbed into our fish systems at the shop we then used them in our installs which allowed us to stock new tanks immediately. We also kept about 1000 lbs of cured live rock which we used for reef set ups. You are trying to compare your tanks at home to a commercial set up which is under time constraints.

camaroracer214
10/02/2011, 02:59 PM
I think you couldn't be more wrong, although her explanation wasn't clear. You absolutely can seed a new tank with bio media from an established tank which can allow you to skip the cycle period. Add to that, they use a proprietary bacterial additive and it is very possible to add fish to a brand new tank. We used to have barrels filled with bio balls which were plumbed into our fish systems at the shop we then used them in our installs which allowed us to stock new tanks immediately. We also kept about 1000 lbs of cured live rock which we used for reef set ups. You are trying to compare your tanks at home to a commercial set up which is under time constraints.

she said "bacteria and water add-in", not media. i agree, you can seed new bio media with media from an established tank or simply dump a bunch of established media into a new aquarium to help with the cycle. however, she didn't use the word media. perhaps she meant it, who knows.

and no, i'm not comparing home setups to commercial setups. i'm well aware of the difference since i've worked for commercial and public aquariums alike. and by the way, both of those facilities did things far differently than ATM.

lordofthereef
10/02/2011, 04:52 PM
and no, i'm not comparing home setups to commercial setups. i'm well aware of the difference since i've worked for commercial and public aquariums alike. and by the way, both of those facilities did things far differently than ATM.

I am sure you saw WAAAAYYYYY more of the facilities where you worked than you have of ATM (unless of course you have toured their facility, I do not know that you didn't). Assuming you haven't been to tour their facility as well as where they get all of their product and livestock from, I am not sure you have room to judge.

ayef12
10/02/2011, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry, but even if you seed a new system from an established tank you still need to give the new system time before stocking. Anyone worth his salt and not out to make a quick buck will concur....

camaroracer214
10/02/2011, 06:02 PM
I am sure you saw WAAAAYYYYY more of the facilities where you worked than you have of ATM (unless of course you have toured their facility, I do not know that you didn't). Assuming you haven't been to tour their facility as well as where they get all of their product and livestock from, I am not sure you have room to judge.
i have never toured anything they have built, but the entire community has seen the garbage equipment they place under their aquariums.

camaroracer214
10/02/2011, 06:03 PM
i'm sorry, but even if you seed a new system from an established tank you still need to give the new system time before stocking. Anyone worth his salt and not out to make a quick buck will concur....

+1

gon08
10/02/2011, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, but even if you seed a new system from an established tank you still need to give the new system time before stocking. Anyone worth his salt and not out to make a quick buck will concur....

Not if the entire bio system (bio balls in my cases and theirs from what I've seen) is from an established system. We can debate this till we're blue in the face but I am speaking from my personal experiences installing and servicing commercial systems. If the entire bio media comes from a system with hundreds of fish then it will have no problem handling 50 fish.

grigsy
10/02/2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I kinda forgot they're all guidos also. Ive only seen the first two shows

lol, yeah, total guidos. Jersey shore.

mikezalewski
10/02/2011, 09:09 PM
That is another question I had as well> Where do they get the water that is already cycled because it looks like they set up and then as soon as the water is in they dump in fish. in short many dead fish. I would like to see them to do a follow up on the setups that they have did.....ie what fish are still in the tank from the first day.

SoFloReefer
10/02/2011, 09:11 PM
I've had 5 different systems since 07 and only one has been cycled (I barely consider it a cycle). It you transfer live sand, live rock, etc from an established system into a new system, you can easily avoid a cycle. I don't think this is a secret.

jkf1983
10/02/2011, 10:36 PM
I agree I can't help myself not to watch the show but they definitely do not know what they're doing when it comes to stocking the tank and the tanks filtration. So far I havent seen them setup one practical or even responsible tank! And I think I've seen one Skimmer so far!

ayef12
10/02/2011, 10:48 PM
The bio media in the filters is already biologically active from a giant system at the shop for those occasions and they also seed it with a comercial grade bacteria that they will actually be bringing to market soon for faster cycle times. The interview Bret did at MACNA explained this.

Pathetic that you feel this is enough of a proccess.... Just plop in tap water + salt + their supposidly seeded bioballs + bacteria in a bottle + 20 cartons of fish and wallah close your eyes and say a short prayer and success. Most of us know that this doesn't work and shame on you supposed proffesionals that are defending this.

lordofthereef
10/03/2011, 12:14 AM
It's obvious to me that there are people here thathave already decided they know exactly how everything is set up based on a few short clips put together over many weeks of time to make up ability 50 minutes of footage. Why are we even having this discussion. All of the pros that know they are doing it wrong should go offer to take over their business for them. Obviously you all can do it better!

lordofthereef
10/03/2011, 12:16 AM
i have never toured anything they have built, but the entire community has seen the garbage equipment they place under their aquariums.

What garbage equipment? what is so garbage about it?

nicks387
10/03/2011, 12:28 AM
I cant believe how many of you think its the water that has to cycle. The cycle in these types of tanks takes place in the bioballs, this is where the bacteria grow. If the bioballs came from an established system, (which they do) Then the system is cycled. The water being fresh and the tank being new has no bearing whatsoever on the cycle. So yes, if you have a large wet dry full of highly populated bioballs and add water and fish then you will be fine. It seems some people have no idea what really takes place in a cycle. The fresh water and new tank have absolutely nothing to do with the cycle.

Ayef12, explain to me your profesional opinion of why this wouldn't work. Since you seem to think that there's some other magical thing going on in a new tank. A cycle is 100% based on the bacteria growing on the media that convert Amonia to Nitrite, to Nitrate, This bacteria grows on the bioballs, thus if the bioballs came from a highly populated tank then they will continue to do there job in the new tank.
Also, who told you that its tap water and not RO water? Just because you see a hose doesn't mean that hose isn't coming from a large holding tank of RO mixed saltwater. I have never seen them mix salt in the tank so clearly the hose filling the tank is pre-made saltwater.

gon08
10/03/2011, 05:51 AM
Pathetic that you feel this is enough of a proccess.... Just plop in tap water + salt + their supposidly seeded bioballs + bacteria in a bottle + 20 cartons of fish and wallah close your eyes and say a short prayer and success. Most of us know that this doesn't work and shame on you supposed proffesionals that are defending this.

What's pathetic is that you can spew ignorance without any facts based solely on what you may do on your tank at home. Who cares about a process. If the reason for the process is to achieve a final result and that same result can be achieved by another method then the process is just time wasted.

You don't have access to a established bio media to start a tank at home so you need to cycle the tank. If you use established media from another system then the tank will not cycle. As for a skimmer.... it's not a necessary piece of equipment to keep fish or coral alive. I am running an sps tank without a skimmer for the past 2 years.

alton
10/03/2011, 05:55 AM
Two Fridays w/o a new episode? What the heck?

dc
10/03/2011, 05:57 AM
I think we're done here. Not sure why we can't discuss anything without name calling.