PDA

View Full Version : Phosban 150

MyOwnGrowOp
09/01/2011, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, I have a 120 gallon mixed reef that is farely well stocked. I recently got some sun coral and am Feeding more often because of it causing a little algae bloom. I'm am starting to get a little bit of phosphates building up, I'm wondering if I would benefit from a phosban reactor? Is it worth me spending the money? Thanks in advance
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=tf-reactor2

HighlandReefer
09/01/2011, 05:38 PM
Some hobbyists do put GFO in a filter bag and place it in a sump with good flow and successfully reduce their phosphate level. You need good flow through the bag. The reactor will provide good flow through the GFO if the flow rate is appropriate to keep the GFO boiling.

Keep in mind that if your phosphate level is high, GFO will become saturated with phosphate quickly, perhaps within 24 hrs. So, you will need to change the GFO every three days or so (with high phosphate levels) until your level drops to undetectable. ;)

vmacisback
09/02/2011, 11:13 AM
It is definately worth it, I have a new setup and wanted to eliminate Phos from the very begining. I started the tank and let it cycle and tested for phos which my test kit did say was present in my system. I bought a two little fishies 150 reactor and a small rio pump. I added Rowa phos and within 2 days I tested 0 for phos. The whole setup was about $80. Definately worth it if you intend to keep SPS.

tommy tomato
09/02/2011, 11:33 AM
i got mine from aquacave for 40 bucks + 13 for this pump http://www.aquacave.com/ecoplus-132-submersible-brwater-pump-132-gph-9w-2972.html

and another 16 for rowaphos and 5 bucks shipping puts you at 74 bucks shipped...

works great for me i ended up buying a second one to run carbon and run both of em on the same pump...

tommy tomato
09/02/2011, 11:34 AM
dont forget you will need a couple feet of 1/2'' hose also..

JohnnyB in SD
09/02/2011, 04:44 PM
Having used a GFO reactor and an Algae Turf Scrubber I would go with an ATS any day.