PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sailfin

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:04 PM
I have a young sailfin tang and tonight when I got home I saw this on his top fin. I hope the picture is clear, it's what appears to be a massive gash. Is there anything I can do or is he in any danger. He seems to be acting just fine but this is the worst fin damage I have seen on him. No other fish in the tank are acting aggressively and this guy has been in the tank a few months. No new fish and everyone seems to get along.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=34901

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:09 PM
A better shot of the damage.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=34902

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:12 PM
Is this for your 90?
What fish do you all have in there?

b0bab0ey
09/01/2011, 03:14 PM
Nothing you can really do except keep him happy, hope it heals and cross your fingers that there's no infection. Maybe soak his food in some selcon for a little vitamin boost.

Hopefully he just ripped it on a rock or something, but it looks pretty deep. I'd be looking around the tank for a crab that don't belong or something...

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:16 PM
A few chromis, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Chocolate Tang, pair of blue hippos and a foxface, a few cleaner shrimp and three pajamas. All fish are swimming together and are very calm. Even the sailfin. Tangs are grazing the rocks, whole tank looks like slow motion, nobody is excited.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:17 PM
Nothing you can really do except keep him happy, hope it heals and cross your fingers that there's no infection. Maybe soak his food in some selcon for a little vitamin boost.

Hopefully he just ripped it on a rock or something, but it looks pretty deep. I'd be looking around the tank for a crab that don't belong or something...

That must be some big crab. Nothing in the tank like that at least that I know of.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:22 PM
A few chromis, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Chocolate Tang, pair of blue hippos and a foxface, a few cleaner shrimp and three pajamas. All fish are swimming together and are very calm. Even the sailfin. Tangs are grazing the rocks, whole tank looks like slow motion, nobody is excited.

Is this for your 90 ??

Unless you now have a 400+ gallon tank, the problem/cause is pretty apparent -- 6 tangs in a 90. They are going to fight, and it is only going to get worse as they grow.

b0bab0ey
09/01/2011, 03:24 PM
That must be some big crab. Nothing in the tank like that at least that I know of.

Based on your fish stocklist, I doubt it's one of them. Buy any new corals lately? Maybe a hitchhiker like a crab or mantis? Any large hermits in the tank? I have a PB Tang that shows up with ripped/torn fins periodically. I've never figured it out, but I suspect my CB Shrimp or one of my emerald crabs.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:25 PM
Is this for your 90 ??

Unless you now have a 400+ gallon tank, the problem/cause is pretty apparent -- 6 tangs in a 90. They are going to fight, and it is only going to get worse as they grow.

No, this is in my 210 and almost all of the tangs I have had for a long time. They are not showing any aggression at all.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:26 PM
I am putting money on the purple tang -- mean mean fish. I have personally watched one draw blood on a male Clarkii clown.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:28 PM
Based on your fish stocklist, I doubt it's one of them. Buy any new corals lately? Maybe a hitchhiker like a crab or mantis? Any large hermits in the tank? I have a PB Tang that shows up with ripped/torn fins periodically. I've never figured it out, but I suspect my CB Shrimp or one of my emerald crabs.

Got some new corals about a month ago. Did have one tiny crab on one of the corals. I even went to the trouble of carefully removing him before dipping then placing him back on the coral when I put it in the tank. But this gash is about 6x the size of that little guy and he is buried in the coral.

I suspect rocks are the culprit. I actually paid a lot of attention to making the rock structure full of caves, holes, and all types of hiding spots. They are constantly swimming in and out of holes all the time. When the lights go out on them you wouldn't even think there were any fish in the tank, they all go to their respective hiding spot to sleep.

I hope jaws isn't hiding somewhere in these rocks although I wouldn't have a clue how it got there.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:30 PM
I am putting money on the purple tang -- mean mean fish. I have personally watched one draw blood on a male Clarkii clown.

My oldest fish. He seems to get along with everyone. I know they can be aggressive but this one seems very calm. They are like family, they have a huge tank to swim in and tons of room but they are always sticking together and grazing. I have not seen any of the tang's get their fins up recently.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:34 PM
My oldest fish. He seems to get along with everyone. I know they can be aggressive but this one seems very calm. They are like family, they have a huge tank to swim in and tons of room but they are always sticking together and grazing. I have not seen any of the tang's get their fins up recently.

They aren't sticking together for friendship; the old phrase "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" comes to mind.

b0bab0ey
09/01/2011, 03:36 PM
Got some new corals about a month ago. Did have one tiny crab on one of the corals. I even went to the trouble of carefully removing him before dipping then placing him back on the coral when I put it in the tank. But this gash is about 6x the size of that little guy and he is buried in the coral.

Any hitchhiker crab that I find on one of my corals goes bye bye. Tiny crabs grow up to be big, problem crabs IME.

b0bab0ey
09/01/2011, 03:38 PM
They aren't sticking together for friendship; the old phrase "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" comes to mind.

I see you've been attacked by a Sohal before. ;)

frankpayne32
09/01/2011, 03:39 PM

That seems very unlikely. That sentiment could possibly hold true with animals of the same species but is rarely if ever seen in animals of different species.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:40 PM
Got some new corals about a month ago. Did have one tiny crab on one of the corals. I even went to the trouble of carefully removing him before dipping then placing him back on the coral when I put it in the tank.....

What type of coral? Some acros will come in with commensal crabs;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/40%20breeder/013-1.jpg

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:43 PM
That seems very unlikely. That sentiment could possibly hold true with animals of the same species but is rarely if ever seen in animals of different species.

Happens quite often, especially when of the same Genus.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:45 PM
What type of coral? Some acros will come in with commensal crabs;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/40%20breeder/013-1.jpg

That's the crab and he is still in the coral, tiny little guy I just checked him out.

Toddrtrex
09/01/2011, 03:47 PM
That's the crab and he is still in the coral, tiny little guy I just checked him out.

Good deal. Don't see how that little guy would have caused this, or how the tang could have been in a physical position for the crab to do that damage.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 03:48 PM

You would think if there was going to be any aggression in the tank it would be between the two blue hippos. Perhaps it's because they were raised from pups together, don't know if that matters, but they never bother each other and actually sleep in adjacent cracks in one of the rocks with their fins practically touching.

b0bab0ey
09/01/2011, 03:53 PM
If it was one of the other tangs, you should notice some aggression between them soon. Tang on tang violence isn't usually just an isolated incident. Those bastards are relentless.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 04:00 PM
If it was one of the other tangs, you should notice some aggression between them soon. Tang on tang violence isn't usually just an isolated incident. Those bastards are relentless.

Have my laptop across the room and been watching them like a hawk for the last hour or more. Nothing, just grazing away.

nuclearheli
09/01/2011, 04:08 PM
I wonder if this could be the culprit. It just dawned on me, there is some excellent grazing around and on top of this oyster. Could very well have caught himself on one of the spines.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=34905

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=34903

frankpayne32
09/01/2011, 04:47 PM

You are saying that animals of the same genus that are regularly aggressive towards one another will seek each other out and choose to remain in close proximity? In my study of ethology I have never heard of something like that. I would definitely be interested in seeing some examples.