PDA

View Full Version : Do clarifiers work?

MGM_
09/01/2011, 06:07 PM
My tank has been in service for abt 3 months and still have major dust particles floating. Recently picked up a couple filter socks but the particles seem to remain in display and didn't see much make it to the sump (w/o socks or skimmer running). Will a clarifier speed up the process?? I suspect my 150 lbs of dry rock (unrinsed) may be the culprit. Rinsed sand but had brain fart on the dry rock..I have few fish and couple shrimp but no coral in tank yet.

brycerb
09/02/2011, 07:07 AM
Before you add chemicals try better mechanical filtering. Maybe put some cotton batting in your filter socks or some filter to try and catch some of those smaller particals.

Reef_Noob
09/02/2011, 09:51 AM
Clarifiers in my IMHO is just waste of money..
3 months and still dust is bit usual....it shouldv settled by now..

Yup it must the unrinsed dry rock thats causing the problem.

Use a power head to blow over the rock to release all the particles first. Do a water change.

I agree with brycerb, try using some filter wool in the filter sock...

Alternatively why dont you try the internal power filter (the ones used in fresh water tanks) use it for a while till the dust particles are filtered out, then discontinue the use...

Hope this helps...

Keep us posted... :)

snorvich
09/02/2011, 10:08 AM
Clarifiers in my IMHO is just waste of money..
3 months and still dust is bit usual....it shouldv settled by now..

Yup it must the unrinsed dry rock thats causing the problem.

Use a power head to blow over the rock to release all the particles first. Do a water change.

I agree with brycerb, try using some filter wool in the filter sock...

Alternatively why dont you try the internal power filter (the ones used in fresh water tanks) use it for a while till the dust particles are filtered out, then discontinue the use...

Hope this helps...

Keep us posted... :)

Good advice. Is your tank surface skimming?

MGM_
09/02/2011, 07:12 PM
I have glass holes overflow so do have surface skimming. It is the 3000 gph so box is abt 16" long. Problem is the dust doesn't quite make it to the overflow. Just floats around tank. I do have a hang on FW carbon filter that I will try.

Thanks all..

Reef_Noob
09/24/2011, 10:35 AM
Good advice. Is your tank surface skimming?

Thanks snorvich....yes my tank has an overflow and has Koralia wavemakers breaking up the the surface pretty good...

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/Reef_Noob/Tank%20Build%202011/FTSon.jpg

More pics on my build thread.....

Cheers :beer:

NiTr0x911
09/24/2011, 01:14 PM
Good Luck getting your tank cleared,Great job on aquascaping. :thumbsup: