PDA

View Full Version : flowerpot coral and clownfish

tjc348
09/01/2011, 08:59 PM
I've seen that flowerpot corals can host clownfish. I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are fairly small, and I also have a flowerpot coral that is a frag but it is getting much bigger quite fast.

I've had the clowns for about 1 month maybe a little more, and I've had the flowerpot about the same amount of time.

How can I get my flowerpot to host my clowns?

mrstihl
09/01/2011, 09:26 PM
If you stand on your head while wearing one shoe in front of the tank that always works... :lolspin: If it doesn't work for you then the clowns might figure it out in time. If they want to use it as a host they will otherwise they won't. Nothing you can do about it.

tjc348
09/01/2011, 09:56 PM
Well they seem to hang out in one corner more than anywhere else in the tank. Maybe it would increase the chance if I put the flowerpot next to their corner?

snorvich
09/02/2011, 06:38 AM
I've seen that flowerpot corals can host clownfish. I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are fairly small, and I also have a flowerpot coral that is a frag but it is getting much bigger quite fast.

I've had the clowns for about 1 month maybe a little more, and I've had the flowerpot about the same amount of time.

How can I get my flowerpot to host my clowns?

You had best hope they do not. They can kill/injure a goniopora. Clowns do what they want, sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

snorvich
09/02/2011, 06:40 AM
If you stand on your head while wearing one shoe in front of the tank that always works... :lolspin:

I will have to remember that. Sounds great to me.

fishysteve
09/02/2011, 07:00 AM
My clowns killed my goniopora years ago. They harrassed it so much it just stopped extending the polyps and wasted away. I should have removed it earlier, but I was stupid.

aecasasus
09/02/2011, 07:11 AM
Some clown will try to host with anything. Mine has hosted with a colony of Kryptonite Candy Cane coral. So far no damage yet but... I see it coming! Clowns are awesome but can be destructive if hosted with the wrong animal.

tjc348
09/03/2011, 11:28 AM
Okay thanks guys. I guess I'll hope that my clowns DON'T pair up with my flowerpot lol. I like my flowerpot coral and wouldnt want it to die.

Should I get an anemone for them? I heard that they are pretty difficult to keep alive.

MilkWeed18
09/03/2011, 04:29 PM
Mine Gonipora started dying soon after my clown hosted in it.

Whisperer
09/03/2011, 04:47 PM
You really will regret it if your clowns start annoying your goniopora. You won't enjoy this sight because the goni will stay retracted until the clowns leave. Everytime the goni starts to open, the clowns go back and annoy it. Eventually, the goni will starve and die. Gonis are not meant to host clowns. JME

snorvich
09/03/2011, 07:23 PM
You really will regret it if your clowns start annoying your goniopora. You won't enjoy this sight because the goni will stay retracted until the clowns leave. Everytime the goni starts to open, the clowns go back and annoy it. Eventually, the goni will starve and die. Gonis are not meant to host clowns. JME

Exactly. If it starts to be a problem use a tupperware container with holes drilled for flow as a cover.