PDA

View Full Version : Anemone with smaller fish

MCCOOL
09/01/2011, 09:07 PM
Hello all,

I've got a well established tank that I'm considering adding an anemone to. My concern is all of my fish, I have a few wrasses and anthias that I'm not willing to risk. I'm wondering if there are any species of anemone that won't pose a threat to my beloved fish?

I've kept a few anemones in the past, but never with many fish. So what do you experts think? I'll definitely willing to skip the anemone if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

bradleym
09/01/2011, 10:49 PM
BTAs are the best bet. Their sting is the lightest. But that doesn't mean they won't eat a fish that swims right into it. If you're looking for absolutely no risk, just skip it.

elegance coral
09/02/2011, 05:09 PM
No one can tell you that your fish won't get eaten. All of the host anemones can, and will, eat fish. It's all about balancing the risk. Wrasses, and anthias, are very strong swimmers, and aren't on the "doomed" list of anemone prey. I keep very large "carpet" anemones, and have never lost a healthy wrasse, or anthias to one of them. There's always that possibility though. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to add a wrasse, or anthias with most host anemones. Provided, there's enough room in the tank for the fish to avoid the anemone.

MCCOOL
09/02/2011, 11:34 PM
Thank you both for the responses.

I was hoping there was a species that wouldn't pose a threat, but after a little more research I think it's definitely something I'll skip.

Ebisan
09/03/2011, 01:32 AM
I agree, skip. My 1 bta has split several times and total at 20 or so (some in the back of the tank). Lost a lot of fish except for my clownfish pair and royal dottyback. I've always wanted to add more fish but love the anemones to remove them.