PDA

View Full Version : Night time carpet behavior

mule31
09/02/2011, 08:12 AM
As I posted before I have a green carpet that has settled in nicely. We were effected by irene and I had a 5 day black out where the tank was run on a generator for about 12-14 hours a day (I can't run it when I'm not home and it was too loud for the township at night). Since the black out, I've noticed my carpet completely deflates and lays limp at the bottom at night. Still attached. During the day it expands to well beyond 12-14 inches and its mouth is significantly more closed then last week (only open a sliver or the size of a pencil on occasion). Just wondering if this cycle is normal or if there is a problem. I'm doing a water change today as it is my water change day. Just wondering if this is the beginning of a problem or if it is normal. My BTAs would do this on occasion but not sure if it was the same for carpets.

My clowns lay in the nem like it is a blanket when it is deflated which is cute. They finally stopped trying to swim into the nems stomach.

Toddrtrex
09/02/2011, 09:30 AM
IME with S. haddoni, that isn't normal lights out behavior. Sure they will get somewhat smaller, but overall still look the same, and do not completely deflate.

I would do the water change, and prepare to do another one soon, and run some fresh carbon.

How long have you had it?
What are your current water parameters?
Besides the lights being off, anything else different over-night?

mule31
09/02/2011, 09:45 AM
I've had it two weeks now. It started acting up like this when the power went out.

I've had him for just over 2 weeks.
Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is below .1 and nitrite is 0
Nothing else is different over night.

During the day he gets huge and looks happy so I really am unsure as to the issue.

ninjazx777
09/02/2011, 10:19 AM
My hadonni stays pretty much the same size day and night. my gigs get a little smaller at night but not much. my RBTA however shrinks into the rocks at night and comes out when the lights turn on

125mph
09/02/2011, 10:24 AM
Got a pic?

Mine shrinks a little but not much at night.

mule31
09/02/2011, 11:49 AM
I don't right now. I can try to get a shot but its probably less than a quarter of the size and laying down flat on the sand.