PDA

View Full Version : For the love of Pete!

hupababy83
09/02/2011, 03:59 PM
Oh crap! Oh crud! Ahhhhh sh**! Today is the worst day ever! First I wake up with a raging UTI, then the (i think its called a pico tank?) That I was acclimating my baby mollies to saltwater in, crashed! No, it literally crashed! Broke! Hundreds of pieces, 1.5 - 2 gals of water on the floor! Rug is soaken, 3 babies were flopping, and my moms rescued 12+lbs cat looking innocent! So I had two options... 1st) in to the biocube 8 with the clowns, YWG, cleaner shrimp and corals, for an even bigger bioload!
2nd) in to my moms freshly set up tank! Which hadn't even cycled yet! Only been set up for a couple days!

Into moms tank they went! I figured it was better than with the clowns, they'd get eaten for sure, and I already have to many fish In there now! From what I read they are pretty.strong fish. I hope they make it! I pray this won't hurt them any more! Lost 2 mollies in the crash, I don't want to lose more. Is there.anything I can do to help them thru this? Did I make the wrong choice?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Sandberg1222
09/02/2011, 09:08 PM
WOW:uhoh3: Wish ya luck!

papagimp
09/02/2011, 09:19 PM
Mollies can be extremely hardy fish (i've got one in my current reef project). I hope the best for your fishies and that tommorrow goes a little better ;)

Depending on the size of the mollies in question, I think you made a decent choice for what your having to deal with at the time. When you got fish floppin' on the floor, can't really sit down to ask RC what we think, gotta make the call quickly.

Since the tank hasn't cycled yet, maybe get your hands on some Ammo-Lock (petsmart or walmart carry it) to help curb the ammonia spike that's likely to follow, have water ready for water changes to be safe. Was your moms tank saltwater as well?

UnknownFish
09/02/2011, 09:20 PM
I had mollies in my reef tank for a while, when I got mine they were in brackish water already, I brought them home and temp acclimated them and poured them in a net and added them to the tank, never had a problem, they worked good to get rid of bryopsis and other algae.

hupababy83
09/02/2011, 09:24 PM
Yes moms tank is saltwater. So you don't think this will harm the fish?

rogermccray
09/03/2011, 06:48 AM
Good luck!

sjwitt
09/03/2011, 07:10 AM
How big is Mom's tank and what is the SG level? If Mom's tanks is a good size and your fish are small it should be ok. I ask about the SG level because you wrote you were 'acclimating' them to SW. If Mom's SG is high that could be stressful on the fish. Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite. Do water changes. They should be fine. Just curious ... why don't you move them to the established tank?

Curious George
09/03/2011, 08:30 AM
Help me out....... You woke up with a Urinary Tract Infection???

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 10:41 AM
Help me out....... You woke up with a Urinary Tract Infection???

Well it started the day before, but I woke up with the pain. I could hardly move! It was the beginning of a very bad day.

How big is Mom's tank and what is the SG level? If Mom's tanks is a good size and your fish are small it should be ok. I ask about the SG level because you wrote you were 'acclimating' them to SW. If Mom's SG is high that could be stressful on the fish. Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite. Do water changes. They should be fine. Just curious ... why don't you move them to the established tank?

LFS that tests my water said it was between 1.020 and 1.021. I bought 10gals of saltwater from them, since I don't have a RO/DI system yet.

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah I didn't put them in the established tank because they are quite small, (born in May) and my clowns have a tenancy to nip at anything that goes in the tank, including me. I didn't want them eaten, plus the biocube is 8gals and I already have mated occ. clownfish, YWG in there and was told in another thread that there ate too many fish in it, and so o didn't want to put 3 more on, regardless of size. Moms tank is 10gal. I was acclimating them, for my YWG 15gal once I have the funds to set it up.

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 11:08 AM
Just did a 5 in 1 test from API and results are:
KH: 40
PH: between 8.0 and 8.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 20

I will be testing once a week. After 24 hours the babies are doing fine. I see 2 at the top, third smallest stays on bottom and catches left overs.

sjwitt
09/03/2011, 12:21 PM
Ok, the SG is pretty low so I wouldn't worry too much. I would be concerned if the SG was very different but by this point, if they 'seem' to be doing ok then SG difference shouldn't be a problem. Just keep up with the water changes and you should be fine. I notice you didn't post any ammonia test, did you test for that? That would be my biggest worry.

As far as your KH, 40 (I assume this is ppm) is a little low ... equates to ~2 dKH and the target is typically between 8 and 12 dKH (143 - 214 ppm KH). Water changes can help with this too.

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 01:49 PM
Ok, the SG is pretty low so I wouldn't worry too much. I would be concerned if the SG was very different but by this point, if they 'seem' to be doing ok then SG difference shouldn't be a problem. Just keep up with the water changes and you should be fine. I notice you didn't post any ammonia test, did you test for that? That would be my biggest worry.

As far as your KH, 40 (I assume this is ppm) is a little low ... equates to ~2 dKH and the target is typically between 8 and 12 dKH (143 - 214 ppm KH). Water changes can help with this too.

On my test strips, there is no test for ammonia. I always thought NO2 or NO3 was ammonia. So how do I get my KH up? Will low KH harm the Mollies?

Sandberg1222
09/03/2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe some saltwater for the UTI ? Sorry couldn't resist, oh and a few test strips :)

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 06:11 PM
Maybe some saltwater for the UTI ? Sorry couldn't resist, oh and a few test strips :)

I wish it was that simple of a cure. Test results came back and not UTI, the Doc says he's 90% sure I'm forming stones! Just lovely! Not the LR I wanted or needed :P lmnao sorry, gross, but that's what I told the Doc too. He looked at me like I was nuts! LOL priceless! I go back for xrays of kidneys Monday.

Back on subject, the Mollies are doing good still, no panting or odd behavior. However they do nip at the LR.

Curious George
09/03/2011, 07:44 PM
CRANBERRY JUICE, CRANBERRY JUICE and more CRANBERRY JUICE.

Seriously, it works well. Been there brother, and it's not fun. Feel better first then re-title the thread= For the Love of My Peeter!!

Drew485
09/03/2011, 07:45 PM
So will Mollies reproduce in a saltwater tank? Might be a good source of natural food. Is that why people keep them in reef tanks?

hupababy83
09/03/2011, 08:26 PM
CRANBERRY JUICE, CRANBERRY JUICE and more CRANBERRY JUICE.

Seriously, it works well. Been there brother, and it's not fun. Feel better first then re-title the thread= For the Love of My Peeter!!

It's sister lol don't have a peter lol and I'm guzzling cranberry juice lol