PDA

View Full Version : Need inputs for new project

ctniners
09/02/2011, 09:18 PM
Hello everybody….well its time to do my fall project….I need inputs, you will be able to tell I am not an expert so want to make sure I do things the right way.

The pictures you will see have a FRAG TANK but this of course is for the future, for now the frag tank will not be set up.

For now this will be the setup I am anticipating
Will start small and move up eventually.

Display: 40 Gal Breeder

Sump: 40 Gal Breeder

Refugium: 10 gal or 20 gal long

Pump: Do not know, need inputs, was thinking of Mag 24 but don’t know if it will have the power.

Taking into account the distance going up and the turns…what size pump do you think I will need?

Piping: My understanding is that regular PVC will diminish the water flow because of the elbows, so I was planning on doing flex PVC instead

I hope my drawings are not too confusing but I wanted to give you as much info as possible.

My Overflow is rated at 700 gph.

The pipe going down will be a 1.5” tubing. (Overflow is pre-made to use that size of pipe)

The pipe going back to the display will be a 1” tubing.

Please give me any inputs of what you would do instead of what I am planning on doing.

I guess the main issue is the pump….since there will be no frag tank right now, I will need to leave that valve open to go back to the sump…I just don’t want a huge pump that is going to create a tsunami in the sump, I need it to bring no more that 700 gph by the time it gets to the display…anything above that 700 gph I will need to dump back in the sump before it reaches the display tank.

Thank you for all your help!!!!

First pic...general set up idea

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq201/ctniners/SETUP.jpg

Second pic...measurements for a better idea of how much the water will travel down and up...need an adequate return pump

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq201/ctniners/setupmeasurements.jpg

ctniners
09/03/2011, 02:55 PM
forum moves really fast......

JohnM99
09/03/2011, 06:33 PM
Nice start - I have something very similar.
Questions - are you feeding water from the display into the refugium? You can do this by splitting the 1" pipe coming back from the display tank.
Are you then going to feed your frag tank by splitting the return?

In general, you will not regret putting in unions and valves where you think you might need them - much easier to adapt later.

Also, splitting the return is a good idea - that way you can avoid worrying about having too much flow in your return. You can have one go to your frag tank, and one just back into the sump for safety. Or you can just put a valve on the return pipe after the pump.

You will have to calculate your head pressure to see what flow you will end up with at the display tank surface. Every pump manufacturer shows a curve, and there are head pressure calculator on the RC front page. http://reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

JohnM99
09/03/2011, 06:38 PM
Just plugging a few numbers in - you might not have enough juice with a Mag 12 - need to plug in your numbers.

ctniners
09/03/2011, 06:48 PM
thanks for the input...i thought about going from the display to refuge but im thinking that i rather have cleaner water that has gone through the sock, skimmer and rocks and then go to the refuge.

I thought about that if the pump is too much to put a valve right above the output of the pump but i was told this would put too much strain on the pump...is that what you are doing?.......is anyone doing this?

btw....i was thinking mag 24...dont know if thats what you meant