PDA

View Full Version : What are your biggest stocking Regrets

MattinIdaho
09/02/2011, 09:59 PM
Before I begin stocking my tank I think it would be interesting to see the top 3 or 4 stocking regrets that you have. Either corals or fish. What do you wish you would never have introduced to your tank and why?

sporto0
09/02/2011, 10:01 PM
Easy one, Green Star Polyps, or as I like to call them #$%^&%$#*&) pricks! They are unstoppable invaders.

papagimp
09/02/2011, 10:05 PM
Domino Damsel.... because if the antichrist took fish form, this would be it. cute, cuddly, enticing to newbs... then the carnage and evil!

RDHDDRAGON
09/02/2011, 10:07 PM
My top 5 regrets:

1. Damsels
2. Damsels
3. Damsels
4. Button polyps
5. I almost forgot, Damsels

Damsels are demons and button polyps breed more than rabbits! And not in a sweet and furry way...

Reefing Newbie
09/02/2011, 10:09 PM
For me, I would have to say kenya trees. I didn't put them in there they came with the set up. Not sure how or why, but one piece of live rock has about 10 kenya trees popping up not that the rock gets light. I guess fragging will have to commence soon...

sporto0
09/02/2011, 10:14 PM
For me, I would have to say kenya trees. I didn't put them in there they came with the set up. Not sure how or why, but one piece of live rock has about 10 kenya trees popping up not that the rock gets light. I guess fragging will have to commence soon...

HA! They drop off branches like crazy, however they are easy to remove, just scrape them from the rock while they are small, mine does the same thing, my LFS doesn't want anymore so I throw mine in the sump.

StephLionfish
09/02/2011, 10:31 PM
Damsels....every tank I added them to, I had to tear the rock work completely ( COMPLETELY) apart to get them out.

Nassarius snails. I had five of them attack my healthy lionfish. As soon as I put the lion in the water, they all crawled on him and he shook them off five times, and they kept getting back on. They went back to the store. They are helpful for keeping the sand stirred, but get on my nerves when it comes down to feeding corals, or add a new critter to the tank. ( One killed a healthy peppermint shrimp once)

Toddrtrex
09/02/2011, 10:39 PM
Agree with most of what was posted above, so going to go a slightly different route. Some of my biggest regrets (( and took a few times to figure it out, I can be stubborn )) is buying fish that can outgrow my current tank. Besides the huge pain in the butt aspect of getting them out of the tank, and finding an appropriate buyer, the worse was getting rid of fish that I really cared for. After a year or so, of watching a fish grow, and it knowing you, it is tough to sell them, though in the end it was for the best.

AlexS95
09/02/2011, 10:42 PM
Most of the fish in my 220 TBH, I just got all the fish I always thought "oh, that would be cool in this tank" because it didn't fit in my smaller tank. Take your time and find fish you really want.

Raggamuffin
09/02/2011, 10:46 PM
EASY! and in this order...
1: xenia
2: kenia trees
3: allowing hitch hiking urchins to stay

I have no problem with GSP like most folks because from the beginning I kept them on an island rock.

tebstan
09/02/2011, 10:53 PM
A molly miller blenny caught at the coast.

It ate my favorite clam and damaged a scoly, blasto, and some acans before I could catch it.

Than23
09/02/2011, 10:55 PM
Agree with most of what was posted above, so going to go a slightly different route. Some of my biggest regrets (( and took a few times to figure it out, I can be stubborn )) is buying fish that can outgrow my current tank. Besides the huge pain in the butt aspect of getting them out of the tank, and finding an appropriate buyer, the worse was getting rid of fish that I really cared for. After a year or so, of watching a fish grow, and it knowing you, it is tough to sell them, though in the end it was for the best.

Agreed. I tried adding a tang to my 30 gal cube. Not that it can't be done, but it was just too big for my tank.

reefermad619
09/02/2011, 11:07 PM
Emperor snapper. LFS dude said it would stay small... It grew 8" in less than 6 months. it was 11" when i got rid of it. Oh ya... Tank was a 40 long. . I should of did my research instead of buying on a whim.

sporto0
09/02/2011, 11:08 PM
EASY! and in this order...
1: xenia
2: kenia trees
3: allowing hitch hiking urchins to stay

I have no problem with GSP like most folks because from the beginning I kept them on an island rock.

Looks like you forgot about the Xenia, you should have kept them isolated as well, I'm glad I never purchased any.

brannock_16
09/02/2011, 11:09 PM
Blue clove polyps. They reproduce astronomically, nobody wants them, and they choke out all z's and p's by growing on their mats!

Reefing Newbie
09/02/2011, 11:24 PM
HA! They drop off branches like crazy, however they are easy to remove, just scrape them from the rock while they are small, mine does the same thing, my LFS doesn't want anymore so I throw mine in the sump.

Lol, I only had three after the tank was up. Now five weeks in after moving one rock I now have 10. This number is after getting rid of two! I would prefer just one nice show one for my tank. They obviously are hardy. My GSP is isolated to half a clam shell. I can't seem to get it to cover the shell. Hmmm, you guys are treating your GSPs too nicely lol. Mine are at the bottom of the tank on the shell. Maybe a fourth covered. No new ones yet. Also, the shell has been upside down with no light for them for a week. They kept falling off the rock work which they would get light for one day then no light for a week. That may be why. Also, no polyp or zoa troubles either. I do also have a largish mushroom that is maybe 4" in diamter. Thing is doing better in a crevice than out on my rocks where I can see it.

567234ta
09/02/2011, 11:45 PM
The things i regret introducing into my tank

1. maroon clown- what a jerk!!
2. ICH
3. Live rock with pests
4. Carpet anemone- Killed both my engineer gobies
5. Tap water to start my tank with- wow i was a noob:dance:

rudyretama
09/03/2011, 12:09 AM
i must agree with blue clove polyps. even when kept on an isolated piece of rock the still managed to make it to all unexposed parts of the aquascape

JT3069
09/03/2011, 12:22 AM
Pj cardinal = i hate (i guess that is a strong word, so strongly dislike!)
those fish, but thats my wifes favorite fish, so now i have one.

:headwally:

dsmhero
09/03/2011, 12:24 AM
Flame Hawkfish - Very aggressive and killed my little clown.

I haven't regretted my GSP.....yet....

bnaef17
09/03/2011, 12:24 AM
Hydroids!

bnaef17
09/03/2011, 12:55 AM
I mean live rock....going dry next time

Curious George
09/03/2011, 04:57 AM
Pj cardinal = i hate (i guess that is a strong word, so strongly dislike!)
those fish, but thats my wifes favorite fish, so now i have one.

:headwally:

I can relate to this, I bought one of these because a girl friend picked it. I stared at that ugly fish for 6 years---traded it back. 6 years cause that's how long the relationship lasted. She moved out and so did the PJ.

Kbossert
09/03/2011, 06:37 AM
I agree with above DAMSELS they were a fish I got early on and spent months trying to catch. I had to wait and dismantle the scape to get the pair of them out and I am never doing that again.

markster33139
09/03/2011, 06:37 AM
Six line wrasse, because the little bastards became enforcers, and tried to beat up anything that I added to the tank, unless it was significantly larger.

Virtuoso
09/03/2011, 06:51 AM
Ha! Add me to the PJ cardinal group. Same story. Girlfriend liked the look of the fish, I read that they were peaceful and liked to pair up. They are quite possibly the most boring fish ever. I have never kept freshwater fish, but that is what they remind me of.

atreis
09/03/2011, 06:57 AM
Hawkfish (longnose). Fun to watch, but it ate up all the bristle worms which are great detritivores. Oh well.

billdogg
09/03/2011, 07:06 AM
About 24 or so years ago, when I worked at a LFS, it was fish day. I picked up a bag and went Woa! Cool! It was some sort of moray eel, that at about 18", was just the right size for my new 150g tank. I planned to make it into a reef tank some day.

Now, 24 years later, I still have the 150. And the Eel. He's now about 4' long. And nothing else in the tank. Turns out he's a Gymnothorax Undulatus (Undulated Moray), easily one of the most aggressive of the species. And no, the Zoo won't take him. At this point, I figure he deserves to live his life out where he is. Oh - and his lifespan is somewhere between 30 and 50 years.

SpencerG
09/03/2011, 07:20 AM
Not much can match billdogg's eel, but for me it has been damsels, six line wrasse, and green star polyps. Also a snail from the Gulf that likes to eat other snails more than detritus or algae.

Curious George
09/03/2011, 08:18 AM
WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

Billdogg by a mile. Anything that is with you for 24 years, and could possibly be with you for another 26 is the BIGGEST regret.

ALH
09/03/2011, 08:36 AM
Billdogg, you deserve some kind of award.

Bnortz
09/03/2011, 01:03 PM
anthelia

MilkWeed18
09/03/2011, 04:26 PM
Lizard blenny - ate all my shrimps
Xenia - they overtake everthing
damsels - Demons
Aiptasia - Demons

biecacka
09/03/2011, 07:06 PM
different route for me, i have a 220 and i sort of regret not adding more tangs at the same time to prevent wars. i know you can change rock work and that usually works......but i finally got my scape where i like it!

oh yeah bill is def the winner..........errrrr loser :(

DJ in WV
09/03/2011, 07:07 PM
damsels
pj's
green death who lives in the sump now after eating my firefish(freeby when I pick up some frags thanks alot buddy)

snorvich
09/03/2011, 07:51 PM
Bill is clearly the winner.

Rawby
09/03/2011, 09:31 PM
Xenia by far. I started off with 3 stalks now have close to 40. If anybody needs any i have plenty lol!

gohstwrighter
09/03/2011, 10:02 PM
different route for me, i have a 220 and i sort of regret not adding more tangs at the same time to prevent wars. i know you can change rock work and that usually works......but i finally got my scape where i like it!

oh yeah bill is def the winner..........errrrr loser :(

if you can catch the tang and put it in a quarintinetank for a month while you quarintine the new ones and you can add all back in together at the same time to avoid fighting.:smokin:

dnsfpl
09/04/2011, 01:33 AM
peppermint hogfish, killed my purple fire pair, royal gamma pair, midnight angel and all my cleaner shrimp

created WW III and suffered huge lost

gjk
09/04/2011, 05:08 AM
Clown Tang! Owns my three hundred mixed reef and has for 1.5 years. I have tried everything to catch him except the dreaded half or one third take apart of the reef. Very beautiful, but very messy and mean!

Anemone0524
09/04/2011, 06:12 AM
i've been pretty lucky with stocking decisions so my worst decision isn't really that bad. But rolling the dice with a flame angel in an SPS tank was just dumb. Eventually he couldn't resist nipping on my colored sticks. Took out a colony of Montipora Digitata before i was able to catch him.

snorvich
09/04/2011, 06:52 AM
Clown Tang! Owns my three hundred mixed reef and has for 1.5 years. I have tried everything to catch him except the dreaded half or one third take apart of the reef. Very beautiful, but very messy and mean!

They are indeed. Will likely get worse.

smokey377
09/04/2011, 08:58 AM
Clarkii clownfish very agressive and had to remove LR to remove him.

ALH
09/04/2011, 09:21 AM
14 years ago I bought a golden pilot fish. I didn't know they get to be about 4 feet.

dwarf_angels31
09/04/2011, 09:40 AM
Yellow tang

crzytrace
09/04/2011, 09:42 AM
my biggest regrets are xenia- they overtook my tank and its a real chore getting rid of them. and also my ebili angel- a beautiful fish but he sure is an a**hole. was halfway nice for about the first year then started nibbling corals, and terrorizes any new fish or shrimp additions. that little turd even picks on the snails till they fall off the glass. he sees me watching the tank and he starts picking at corals till i feed him.

skyline377
09/04/2011, 09:57 AM
Yellow tang

What's wrong with the yellow tang???

b0bab0ey
09/04/2011, 10:08 AM
The Maroon Clown you see below my name. She attacks me every time I put my hand in the tank... but my wife won't let me get rid of her.

PokerReefer
09/04/2011, 10:10 AM
Avoid frag plugs from other systems at all costs. It seems all unwanted algae and the likes that have been introduced to my tank have started from these damn things. Even clean ones start to grow something. And now I have something that looks like dinos popping up from one. Not happy!:angryfire::angryfire:

d0ughb0y
09/04/2011, 01:44 PM
adding agressive fish. once that is done, I am unable to add any new fish.

as to the question above what's wrong with a yellow tang, it is agressive.
heck it tail whips my cleaner magnet when I clean the glass.

DannyHennig
09/04/2011, 04:14 PM
SPS.... with aefw :debi:

biecacka
09/04/2011, 04:37 PM
yeah its so hard to catch these tangs in the large tanks!
lol

rainydave
09/04/2011, 04:50 PM
Kenya Trees (actually hitchhiked it's way in on a rock)
Xenia (same as above)
Green Star Polyp

A_Z
09/04/2011, 05:14 PM
I see alot of damsels does that include chromis?

Cari
09/05/2011, 02:18 PM
1). Nice little purple shrooms (without freshwater dipping first!), came with Flatworms!
Ignorance can really stink sometimes.

2). Malanarus Wrasse and Six Line Wrasse to eat the flatworms (which btw they both chose not to). They definately weren't on my dream list of fish.

MidMichiganReef
09/05/2011, 02:47 PM
1) Any sort of clove polyps, they grow so fast and are hard to kill.
2) Pulsating Xenia for the same reason as #1
3) Buying rock from someone who was getting out. People in that situation usually have let their tank go and the rock is a ticking time bomb.

As hard as it may be, you have to be very patient with fish and make sure you actually want them. Once you put things like wrasse into an established tank its in there for the long hall or the tank is coming apart.