PDA

View Full Version : Chainlink moray

clowntriggerfis
09/02/2011, 10:13 PM
how big and how aggresive are chainlink morays I have done some research and am getting conflicting lenths and agression

BlueTrig
09/03/2011, 08:38 PM
From what I've been told they are almost exactly like snowflakes but much more docile I almost bought one but got my zebra who I love

clowntriggerfis
09/03/2011, 10:42 PM
so could I keep him with clowns

brycerb
09/04/2011, 07:55 AM
I don't think its that docile. Eel's eat fish.

BlueTrig
09/04/2011, 09:01 AM
Not all eat fish... They don't have the same teeth structure as lets say a tesselata eel. Their teeth are rounded like snowflake and zebra eels. Will they eat fish if staved... Yes cause if you were hungry enough I'm sure you would eat dog food. Well fed snowflakes zebra and chain links should not eat fish

clowntriggerfis
09/04/2011, 10:38 AM
thanks

AlexS95
09/04/2011, 03:27 PM
Well fed snowflakes should not eat fish
Yes they will, small ones at least.

FMarini
09/04/2011, 04:19 PM
you might this article helpful, its covers the pebbletoothed morays.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

I would consider chainlinks to be on par w/ snowflakes. They are individual specific w/ some specimens not caring about fish at all, and others potshots-esp when they get some size on them. Most folks -for some reason- don't seem to go for chainlinks-just because they have muted colors and dull patternwise in comparisons to the snowflakes

DarkRyok
09/04/2011, 09:45 PM
I actually have a 12-14 inch snowflake and chainlink right now. While they dont primarily eat fish, if the opportunity arises, it will without a doubt. Ive lost several green chromis and clownfish to those eels. I feed mine whole frozen shrimp 4-5 times a week, so it wasnt because they were starving. If a predator lives with potential prey, its only a matter of time until it makes a meal of them.

rubensito
09/05/2011, 05:27 AM
I would be comfortable mixing with clowns like adult maroons or bigger species but with small species or juveniles i would not be surprised with predation even from echidna morays at least ocassionaly.

clowntriggerfis
09/05/2011, 11:27 AM
ok thanks

rssjsb
09/05/2011, 07:29 PM
I would be comfortable mixing with clowns like adult maroons or bigger species but with small species or juveniles i would not be surprised with predation even from echidna morays at least ocassionaly. Even a smaller eel can take down fish that seem too big to eat, like angels, butterflies, and foxfaces. They tie themselves into knots and surround the fish. My sfe has never eaten a fish, but it will do this with large shrimp. My puffer and rabbit always hide when he's doing it.