PDA

View Full Version : I just pulled a shard of birdsnest from my hand...

Netofficer3710
09/03/2011, 12:32 AM
should I be concerned about this?

BPro32
09/03/2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, make sure to dip that coral in revive to make sure it didn't catch anything! :p

p.s. sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute

sporto0
09/03/2011, 12:52 AM
Seriously? It penetrated your skin? Please monitor that wound carefully. I have a skin condition caused from my reef tank that I can't seem to get rid of, only cortisone cream seems to help alleviate the itching & burning.

Netofficer3710
09/03/2011, 12:55 AM
Seriously? It penetrated your skin?

barely, but a tiny bit yes

I bump and break tips off this frag all the time when I spot feed.

It grows about as fast as I break it lol

OregonReefer
09/03/2011, 01:44 AM
infection is your biggest worry

Curious George
09/03/2011, 05:24 AM
Ironic:

The coral may be wondering if they should dip you. They are concerned that you could spead infection to the others. Coral's STRIKE back!!!

Jeremy Blaze
09/03/2011, 08:44 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063473&highlight=gloves

Sugar Magnolia
09/03/2011, 08:48 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063473&highlight=gloves

:thumbsup: Serious business!

Palting
09/03/2011, 09:05 AM
Seriously guys? M&M? C'mon, it's like saying cancer of the lung can kill you so you should stop breathing. MM is pretty uncommon, even rare. I stayed 3 months in a coral preserve as part of a course in college. We were stung and scraped by corals, attacked by moray eels, what have you. The worst case was I stuck my finger on a sea urchin spine and had to soak it in ammonia for a day, otherwise there were no major incidences.

To the OP. Just keep the wound clean by washing daily in soap and water. You can put some antibiotic cream on it to be safe if you want, but not necessary. Inspect the wound well to make sure nothing got imbedded in there. In the highly unlikely event that it starts to swell, usually within the first 3-5 days, then you need to go to the ER.

The recommendation, though, to wear gloves in the tank is a good one. Prevents wounds, allergic reactions, etc. Also protects the corals from the highly toxic human skin :).

Jeremy Blaze
09/03/2011, 09:10 AM
Rare, yes, but it happens. Just look at the thread. Ask Steve Pro about it.

Palting
09/03/2011, 09:12 AM
Rare, yes, but it happens. Just look at the thread. Ask Steve Pro about it.

Yup, I know it happens. Like a friend of mine just won the lotto. Will I now buy lotto tickets? No.

Jeremy Blaze
09/03/2011, 09:13 AM
"C'mon, it's like saying cancer of the lung can kill you so you should stop breathing"

No one said stop touching your fish tank.

The op asked if there could be any dangers to having a coral impale him and break off.

Yes MM is a danger that could happen in a case like this. So, it is good advice to inform him, so he could see any warning sighns before it got too late.

Jeremy Blaze
09/03/2011, 09:15 AM
So, Palting, would it be better to tell the OP, "No worries, nothing could happen, keep putting those open wounds in your aquarium."?

AaronM
09/03/2011, 09:19 AM
You have thousands of ppl to hold your hand through every minute skin penitration. If i were you, i'd ask a toddler if they have a spare teletubbies bandaid quick smart.

Palting
09/03/2011, 09:35 AM
So, Palting, would it be better to tell the OP, "No worries, nothing could happen, keep putting those open wounds in your aquarium."?

Not to be argumentative, Jeremy, but here is what I actually said to the OP in the prior post.

To the OP. Just keep the wound clean by washing daily in soap and water. You can put some antibiotic cream on it to be safe if you want, but not necessary. Inspect the wound well to make sure nothing got imbedded in there. In the highly unlikely event that it starts to swell, usually within the first 3-5 days, then you need to go to the ER.

The recommendation, though, to wear gloves in the tank is a good one. Prevents wounds, allergic reactions, etc. Also protects the corals from the highly toxic human skin :).

Jlobo
09/03/2011, 09:37 AM
Ouch! Keep it very clean and watch it. Any sign of infection, GO TO THE DOCTOR!

Jeremy Blaze
09/03/2011, 10:09 AM
Not to be argumentative, Jeremy, but here is what I actually said to the OP in the prior post.

No problem at all. I did not see another post, so I only saw what was being said in this thread.

lordofthereef
09/03/2011, 10:41 AM
No problem at all. I did not see another post, so I only saw what was being said in this thread.

That post is in this thread... #9 to be exact.