PDA

View Full Version : Moving day

jrp1588
09/03/2011, 01:39 PM
I'm going to be moving across town in a few weeks, and want a plan in place for moving. It'll be about a 30 minute drive, and the move will take place on Sept. 16th, so hopefully the weather will be cooling down a tad. Here's what I've got so far.

Day 1:
-Remove all fish and coral into my spare 75gal aquarium and let it run with only a powerhead and heater and leave it at my current place.
-Load up the main tank, stand, and all other equipment and move it across town and set up.
-Begin producing Ro/Di water and mix up salt water in tank at new location

Day 2:
-Return to old home, and load up all the live rock in my trusty brute trashcan
-Set up live rock at the new home
-return to old home and pick up fish and coral and bring them to the new place

questions:
-How best to move the fish? Should I buy some shipping bags and bag them up, or simply fill a cooler with some salt water and throw them in?
-Stock includes 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang, 2 pajama cards, 1 clarkii clown, 1 McCosker's wrasse, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 coral beauty angel. Everyone gets along really well.

-How to move sps coral without crushing it? most of my SPS coral is encrusted onto large rocks, and would surely be crushed if I moved them in the brute container with the live rock.

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 01:14 PM
Come on, did everyone tl;dr or something?

LinkinReef
09/04/2011, 01:20 PM
I'm going to be moving across town in a few weeks, and want a plan in place for moving. It'll be about a 30 minute drive, and the move will take place on Sept. 16th, so hopefully the weather will be cooling down a tad. Here's what I've got so far.

Day 1:
-Remove all fish and coral into my spare 75gal aquarium and let it run with only a powerhead and heater and leave it at my current place.
-Load up the main tank, stand, and all other equipment and move it across town and set up.
-Begin producing Ro/Di water and mix up salt water in tank at new location

Day 2:
-Return to old home, and load up all the live rock in my trusty brute trashcan
-Set up live rock at the new home
-return to old home and pick up fish and coral and bring them to the new place

questions:
-How best to move the fish? Should I buy some shipping bags and bag them up, or simply fill a cooler with some salt water and throw them in?
-Stock includes 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang, 2 pajama cards, 1 clarkii clown, 1 McCosker's wrasse, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 coral beauty angel. Everyone gets along really well.

-How to move sps coral without crushing it? most of my SPS coral is encrusted onto large rocks, and would surely be crushed if I moved them in the brute container with the live rock.

I would try to save as much water as you can from the old tank and re-use it so you won't have as bad of a cycle.

I removed all my fish and bagged all of them individually so they wouldn't be that stressed out.

The corals, if they're on LR, I tried o place them individually in bucket with old tank water so they wouldn't break.

Try to set up the tank in the new place as early as possible to you can workout the small details with plumbing if you have a sump.

Good luck!

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 01:26 PM
Why would saving the old water prevent a cycle? From all I've read, very little of the bacteria lives in the water column. Not saying it's not a bad idea just for the sake of saving money on salt and having less of a shock from different water conditions though.

I guess bags would be better. They won't be sloshing around so much.

LinkinReef
09/04/2011, 01:43 PM
I've read that before about the water, but from personal experience, the first time I moved years ago I ended up making almost all new water and killed about 70% of all my corals and livestock which sucked. Last time I moved/upgraded I used all the water i could use from my 125 and used it on my 210 and didn't lose a single coral or fish. Maybe it was just a coincidence but if i were to move again, I would use all the water again

Psirex
09/04/2011, 01:52 PM
use as much of the same water as possible, it will go through a shorter cycle period... trust us!

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm, well I've got some shipping bags on order now. Reusing the water is going to complicate things somewhat. Perhaps I could fill the tank half full of new water at the new location, enough to cover the liverock when I truck that over. Then I could take as much old water with me as possible...then again, how am I going to be able to lift that much water? My dad driver a Ram 2500, that's quite a lift up to the tailgate. I think we have some rubber made tubs laying around the house. I guess if my dad and I each take a side we could get it up into the bed.

Big Dog
09/04/2011, 02:00 PM
I moved a tank in November and used as much established water as possible and moved the sump wet, very successful move! I now keep a hang-on biowheel filter running on my frag tank. When I move a tank I just set up the new tank with it adding some rock/sand. It's also a good idea for setting up a QT when needed.

reefboarder
09/04/2011, 02:06 PM
When I moved my 120 I did almost to a "t" what linkinreef did, I just mixed up water for a typical water change 35-40 gallons an used that to cover as much of the live rock as I could. To read my move thread goTo my profile and find all threads started and it's titled the 120 reset it's basically a play by play of my move and current progress.

Sent from the 4.

Psirex
09/04/2011, 02:09 PM
basically treat the water like a partial water change...

reefboarder
09/04/2011, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah buckets, buckets,and more buckets are good to have around for a move.Also a couple sterilite 18gal bins may come in handy to spread the weight around so your not lifting it all in one shot.

Sent from the 4.

reefboarder
09/04/2011, 02:31 PM
made my way to a computer so here is a link to that thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916967

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 02:33 PM
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll need to buy a few buckets. I only have 1 salt bucket, and the rest of my buckets have been used for washing cars and such.

Fish4Me2
09/04/2011, 02:59 PM
I had good luck with using a great deal of tank water in buckets to keep my live rock submerged as I drove from the old place to the new one. I doubt it made a difference with the cycle, but it was a perfect match to what the fish and corals were used to, so I thought there would be less stress for them. It seemed to work well, the losses I had were because I got too busy to monitor parameters while dealing with the new house in the weeks after the move. I think the plan to individually bag the fish is also good, it can prevent accidental aggression among them.

Psirex
09/04/2011, 03:03 PM
how about plastic totes???

Big Dog
09/04/2011, 03:16 PM
Lowes - bucket and lid $4, moved my livestock with them nd just great to have around.

LinkinReef
09/04/2011, 06:33 PM
Buckets from home depot or lowes are one of the best investment when it comes to moving!

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 09:42 PM
Noted, I feel a lot better about this now that I have a plan in place. It's still going to be an ordeal I'm sure though. The tank will work a lot better in the new place I think though. I'm currently living out of my parent's basement, and my tank is in the basement bedroom. This makes for a lot of CO2 and comparatively little oxygen. It has proven impossible to get my tank above 7.8pH on a consistent basis even with heavy kalk dosing because of all the CO2.

The tank is going to be in the livingroom at the new house in a place of honor where people can see it. I'm also going to run some tubing from the skimmer to the outside to get nice fresh air. I'll probably just run it out the window at first, and may eventually just drill a small hole through the wall.

BANANAHANDS
09/04/2011, 09:43 PM
Ive moved at least 10 tanks over the last few years, always using new water. The key is acclimation. Set up the tank at the new location with new water. When you bring over the livestock, treat it all like new additions to the tank. Acclimate as you would any new fish or coral coming from your lfs (minus any type of dip of course. Unless you're having some type of pest issue).
Good luck!

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 09:52 PM
That was the original plan. I figured they would have to adjust to brand new water so I was going to drip them. I've always read almost all the bacteria resides in the substrate and live rock, not in the water.

0 tds
09/04/2011, 10:26 PM
The key is acclimation.

+1

I have moved tanks and used new water. I just brought over my LR, then acclimated my live stock, never had an issue. Most of the bacteria is on the rock and sand.

You might also want to consider new sand, yes you will loose bacteria and some other good stuff that lives in the sand, but there will be a lot of junk in your old sand and stiring it up might cause a mini cycle even if you use 100% old water.

Also take the time to clean off your rock. Take a pump of powerhead and blast away.

Your doing the right thing by planning it out so I'm sure it will go smooth. Just "plan you race and race your plan".

Good luck!!

jrp1588
09/04/2011, 10:35 PM
I was considering getting new sand. My current sand is suger sized and gets blown around easily. I have been wanting a larger grain, sounds like a good opportunity to do so.

blue736
09/04/2011, 10:47 PM
Use the old tank water for the move. Rinse liverock in it and acclimate to the new water. If you can, make the new water in advance as possible. Match pH, temp, salinity, etc and you should be good.

jrp1588
09/26/2011, 07:02 PM
Moved the tank last thursday with relative success. I lost my McCosker's flasher wrasse on the way over. Lost my yellow tang a few days later due to some unknown complication from adding new sand. It fogged up the aquarium and caused his death. Not sure if it was contaminated, or the cloudy water from the sand irritated his gills and put him into shock.

Discovered the floor in the new tank room is way off level. Had to shim up one side about 3/4". Everything else is doing great and looking beautiful. Also, since the new tank is by a window instead of in a stuffy basement, my pH is at a nice 8.2 instead of 7.8. The 7.8 was with heavy usage of kalk too. I just set up my autotopoff a few hours ago, so with kalk I should have some nice pH levels.