PDA

View Full Version : Culturing DT's phytoplankton

twiggyb
09/03/2011, 03:21 PM
I was wondering what plankton I'm getting. I know DT's has nannochloropsis oculata, Phaeodactylum tricornutum and Chlorella. I've heard when you use DTs to culture, you usually end up with just one of the above. Is there a way to tell which one you get out of them? I'm on my second batch and 9 days into it and it's a light green color, not the super dark color I've seen when culturing Nannochloropsis. I'm using a couple of 18 in. florescent bulbs from wal mart on 16 hrs. a day and 8 hrs. of dark (6 am to 10 pm)

twiggyb
09/03/2011, 09:14 PM
Bump

doctorgori
09/04/2011, 12:32 AM
interesting post...odd it hasn't already been brought up (or has it)

Anyway, there is a live foods/plankton culturing manual out there for like $20...the name of the supply place that sells it escapes me, I'll repost when I think of it...

also, when I was making green water cultures for my daphnia I used like 8-9 liter bottles, 1/4 rigid tube and gentle air...
the bottles were lined up and sandwitched between 2ea 4ft shop lights...
the bulbs were like a warm white and cool white but I'm guessing a better combo exist...

you can stage the bottles like 1 per day

I used the commercial algae feed but got no clue what kinda fert the DT's uses (miracle grow? who knows)

...courtesy bump...I'd likewise wanna know if this is even feasible

twiggyb
09/04/2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone know?

dela
09/04/2011, 09:55 PM
Seems like you would need to look into a microscope.. and know how to identify things! :D

Sorry, no real help here!...