PDA

View Full Version : Is it ready?

iSherm
09/04/2011, 01:28 AM
My API Saltwater test kit finally came in today, which is pretty cool since it was originally suppose to be delivered 8/7. Anyways, I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nanocube Deluxe that has been cycling for 3 weeks now. The diatoms have come and is slowly dissapating. I haven't done any water changes yet, not sure when I should. So when should I?

I tested the water, here are the results...
Temp: 80.2F
Specific Gravity: 1.026
pH: 8.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Big question... Can I start adding corals?

The first chamber has a custom inTank media basket which currently holds a bonded filter pad, chemi-pure elite, and macro algae (currently empty). At what point should I place the macro algae in? I'm planning on getting some chaeto.

2nd chamber just has a 50 watt Hydor heater and the 3rd holds a MJ900 attached to a Hydor FLO. Thanks in advance for any info you gals/guys can share!

AaronM
09/04/2011, 05:22 AM
Well your levels say you're ready! I'd do a water change, add macro, and get cracking.

Out of interest, do you have LR? What lights ya have? What corals do you intend?

iSherm
09/04/2011, 08:47 AM
Out of interest, do you have LR? What lights ya have? What corals do you intend?

I have about 12-15 pounds of live rock. The lights are the stock 50/50 x2 24 watt compact fluorescents that comes with the Nanocube Deluxe. As for corals, I'll probably stick with a little zoas, LPS, softies, etc. And maybe 1-2 fish at the max.

I wanted some SPS, but maybe later down the road if I decide to upgrade my lighting.

Ron Reefman
09/04/2011, 10:08 AM
If you've cycled the tank you get amonia, that becomes nitrite, that becomes nitrate. But all your numbers are zero and you haven't done a water change. So were is the nitrate? I'm guessing you don't have a DSB or nitrate reactor that could have you at zero for nitrates. I'm not sure you really have cycled. Do you have sand (live or dead?) and rocks (live or dead?). As it stands now, why do a water change? All your reading are zero.

You could try a coral, but don't spend much on it just in case it dies. You might try a small fish first, they are much heartier than corals. It would probably survive even if your tank just starts to cycle now. This is a small tank and water parameters can go crazy pretty quickly, so test frequently until you develop an eye for what's going on in the tank and take your time and do only small changes.

Good luck.

iSherm
09/04/2011, 11:34 PM
I'm guessing you don't have a DSB or nitrate reactor that could have you at zero for nitrates. I'm not sure you really have cycled. Do you have sand (live or dead?) and rocks (live or dead?).

What's a DSB? And no, I don't have a nitrate reactor. I'm using Ocean Direct's live sand, so I'm guessing it's live. As for the rock, I purchased live rock from a local fish store.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on doing 1-2 gallon water changes a week. And once everything is settled, then I'll start adding the corals.

AaronM
09/05/2011, 06:08 AM
Mmmm assumed OP somewhat understands cycle...still, iSherm, did you see a healthy ammonia and then nitrite spike, before seeing your levels settle around 0?

Your PH is too high, it should be around 8.2-8.4.

Already said LR and L sand, so close to 0 nitrate becomes more understandable...

Why do a water change ever if you have those levels at 0? Re. those levels, mine are always undetectable, but i still do a 10% water change once a month. I'm sure theres some waste our test kits don't detect...for starters... + Maybe water changes will be key in a small tank presumably without other removal...

DSB = Deep Sand Bed, and i don't even know why it was mentioned, same with nitrate reactor.

I'd add some hermits, then a fish, monitoring mentioned levels...all good = robust enough bio filter, 4 days - a week of all good...have fun with corals and your plan!

Btw, i don't think you'll be able to keep SPS with your lights...

Ron Reefman
09/05/2011, 06:13 AM
iSherm, sorry 'bout that. DSB is a Deep Sand Bed. Many reefers put a 6"-8" deep sand bed in their refugium. An anaerobic (no oxygen) bacteria will develop that takes in nitrate and releases nitrogen gas. So this can remove nitrates and means that you don't have to do water changes to remove nitrates. Just remember, there are other reasons for still doing water changes.

The water change schedule is good for your new system. Once things get settled you might consider 2-3g every other week. Less work for you, less stress on the tank and once things get established, the water parameters should be more stable as well.

iSherm
09/05/2011, 07:27 PM
iSherm, did you see a healthy ammonia and then nitrite spike, before seeing your levels settle around 0?

I'd add some hermits, then a fish, monitoring mentioned levels...all good = robust enough bio filter, 4 days - a week of all good...have fun with corals and your plan!

AaronM, I didn't get my test kit until just recently, so the for first 3 weeks I don't have a baseline to go by. I'm using the API Saltwater Master kit and the readings today are:

Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I added 3 hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snails. I'll hold off on the water change for now. I'll probably go out and buy some chaeto later on this week. I figured I wouldn't be able to put SPS, so I'll stick with the softies and LPS. Thanks for your input!

iSherm, sorry 'bout that. DSB is a Deep Sand Bed. Many reefers put a 6"-8" deep sand bed in their refugium. An anaerobic (no oxygen) bacteria will develop that takes in nitrate and releases nitrogen gas.

The water change schedule is good for your new system. Once things get settled you might consider 2-3g every other week.

Ron, the closest thing I'll have to a refugium is the inTank 3rd chamber that will be filled with chaeto. Thanks for the info though! I have a 60 gallon tank in the garage just waiting to be set up. But that's in the way future. I had to "downgrade" to a 12 gallon to make space for our baby on the way.

Yea, the less water changes the better. I'm hoping to keep it down to x2 a month. I have this 2 gallon water jug with a spout to easily poor the water into the tank. And there's an opening on top of the jug to easily slide in a water pump, heater, and thermometer to adjust it to the nano cube's parameters.

Another question, what do you guys feed your corals? Dry, frozen, liquid diets? What's a good one out there? Keep in mind I'm planning on keeping softies/LPS.