PDA

View Full Version : What wattage heaters?

Cloudburst2000
09/04/2011, 06:14 AM
I need to buy heaters for my new tanks. I'm going to be using my old heaters for heating up my water change water because I dropped and broke the heater I used for that. Anyhoo, after reading reviews, I am going with the Jager heaters. My question is what wattage heaters should I buy? I am going to be setting up a 16g nano and a 36g tank this fall/winter. Which wattage for each tank? And should I have more than one heater in each tank in case a heater quits working (so I have a backup)? Thanks!

jimsplace
09/04/2011, 06:38 AM
2 small ones are better, not only for backup, but because they tend to fail open and can cook your tank. Depending on where you are and how you heat/cool your house, you may not even need one. I haven't used one for over 10 years, tank stays pretty much what the house does.

snorvich
09/04/2011, 06:50 AM
I don't need heaters (I keep my tanks at 76 F) but I strongly recommend that all heaters be run on ranco controllers or equivalent. It seems that when heaters fail, it is always in the on position and they fry the tank.

Cloudburst2000
09/04/2011, 07:04 AM
I am planning on getting a controller. I am leaning toward the ReefKeeperLite.

jimsplace
09/04/2011, 07:25 AM
I would look at the Neptune Apexlite as well, check out the sponsors forum here. The guys on the Neptune site are REALLY good.