PDA

View Full Version : AI SOL Controllers

dpeoples
09/04/2011, 06:46 AM
Got my SOL Blues last week 3 modules. Controller did not ship the seller said they are back ordered. They emailed me last night saying they are still on back order and offered to refund my money for it or I could continue to wait. Being so new to LED and controllers also my question is this. I like that the AI controller let you control the intensity of the lights and all the other stuff. Do the other controllers AI says their lights are compatible with do the same thing. i do not want to be running at 100 percent and fry everything. Some advice and maybe some experieces with this would be helpful. Thanks

96p993
09/04/2011, 08:54 AM
If you have the money I would do some homework on the Apex, will certainly control a lot more than just your lights...

bennylab
09/04/2011, 11:39 AM
+1 on the apex. I have the ai controller as a backup but find the apex programming for the ai lights to be more intuitive thanh the ai controller. Of course, the apex would be a pricey alternative if you only used it for the lights, but it does so much more.

dpeoples
09/04/2011, 12:12 PM
Apex might be a good thing since my tank is just getting going and I will undoubtably add moer stuff as time goes on. My main concern was if other controllers control the light intensity since it seems most folks have it ramp up and do not come near 100 percent through out the day

mojo~
09/04/2011, 06:05 PM
Iwould try someone else I just got my sol blue and controller last week. I think I got mine fron tbaquatics. But check around. you can get them.

dpeoples
09/05/2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks Ill try them today since that is all that is keeping me from setting this up at this point

jtma508
09/05/2011, 07:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as i understand it the Apex (as well as the RKE) will only control 2-channels: the white and the two blue channels *together*. That is, you do not have separate control over the Blue and Royal Blue channels. When I last looked that was the case. The AI controller allows you to control all three channels individually. And yes, it makes a difference. I'm sitting on an ALC for my RKE system until they stand-up 3-channel control. Check before you make the jump. And I'd get the AI controller as backup if you can afford it.

luisagos
09/05/2011, 10:24 PM
Just FYI,

ProfiLux supports AI 3 channel !

dpeoples
09/06/2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the channels. I had not realized that in my reading

Psyops
09/06/2011, 02:13 PM
I do have the Apex controller. I rather run through the AI controller since it is a lot easier to program. You can also do fun stuff light a lightning storm. I have programmed on the Apex but sometimes it is not that simple. For example the programming for auto top off switches is totally oposite as the manual says. Look up Saltysupply.com for the AI controller. Don't get me wrong, the Apex is a very powerful controller, but there is a learning curve with the Advanced programming.

brtarr
09/06/2011, 03:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as i understand it the Apex (as well as the RKE) will only control 2-channels: the white and the two blue channels *together*. That is, you do not have separate control over the Blue and Royal Blue channels. When I last looked that was the case. The AI controller allows you to control all three channels individually. And yes, it makes a difference. I'm sitting on an ALC for my RKE system until they stand-up 3-channel control. Check before you make the jump. And I'd get the AI controller as backup if you can afford it.

I'm pretty sure the Apex VDM will control all 3 channels with the most current firmware.

dpeoples
09/06/2011, 03:18 PM
Actually I got lucky. Another RC member sent me a pm saying TB Aquatics had a few in stock. Got one today will be delivered this week so I am pretty happy at this point:celeb1:

Psyops
09/07/2011, 01:40 PM
Actually I got lucky. Another RC member sent me a pm saying TB Aquatics had a few in stock. Got one today will be delivered this week so I am pretty happy at this point:celeb1:

Good. Do that for now until you get the Apex, then you can fool around with it later.

dpeoples
09/07/2011, 03:37 PM
Yea thats what I am going to do. Taking the whole tank thing nice and slow building it up over several months let it go through its burn in then add some dosers and such then I will need a better controller.

Psyops
09/08/2011, 01:37 PM
Yea thats what I am going to do. Taking the whole tank thing nice and slow building it up over several months let it go through its burn in then add some dosers and such then I will need a better controller.

Good luck. Happy Reefing.

dpeoples
09/09/2011, 06:33 AM
Controller arrives today according to shipping tracker. Any suggestions on setup intensities to start etc. All I have is live rock a small clean up crew and a few fish in there so far. Trying to avoid a major algae bloom

jtma508
09/10/2011, 06:51 AM
Without corals to bleach you've got an easier situation than most. Perahps start around 50-60% across the board and increase it weekly until you get the PAR you think you'll need (based upon the kind of tank you're planning).

dpeoples
09/10/2011, 09:34 AM
So starting it that high wont hurt the fish or live rock or anything else right out of the gate

Psyops
09/15/2011, 01:55 PM
No unless they are hidding. On another tank of mine they were doing ok up to 80%. Only thing to worry about is algae.

Don't know what you are running now. For corals I started at 40% blues and 35% white. They did not like the white at 40% at first. My corals got stressed if I went any higher. No issues with fish though. I am at 50% blue and 45% white at there highest point. Keep in mind I was running 3 250W double ended Halides for 8 hrs per day.

Just start at 40% and see after two weeks what this does to your system. See if you get a algae bloom. At this reading your lights are going to look pretty dim but your PAR reading is actually a lot higher than it looks. Hope this helps.