PDA

View Full Version : prodibio system, to skim or no need to skim?

ivans75
09/04/2011, 09:29 AM
I have done setting up a 25 g tank, I have a skimmer waiting but since I am still waiting on the overflow box to arrive, I haven't installed the skimmer.

I only use a rubber maid square bucket to place the skimmer and planning to put zeovit's zeolit in that tub too...no fancy sump, no chambers, so everything in the tub including the return pump.

After laying the sand bed, I ran a small top box filter with floss to filter the dust and after it was reasonably clean, I put my super cured live rocks in. Shortly after, I dosed 1 ampoule of bioptim and 1 ampoule of biodigest.

And it came to my absolute amazement that the water is now a freakin crystal clear, so clean that if it's fresh water you might think it's safe to drink.

Prodibio is just incredible. I have used prodibio but it was in attempt to fix nutrient condition in my other tank. I wasn't a fan of bacterial or other additives, but I did dose vsv to lower my po4 and no3 on my other tank as I was a fan of natural filtration system (refugium, deep sand bed, clean up crew, live sand etc) but I never use prodibio products from the start of setting up aquarium. My other tank was gettng better after I dose bioptim and biodigest but it still has some po4 probably due to decaying organism that I don't notice. But I've never seen such clarity such as this newly setup tank with bioptim and biodigest dosing and it's just only the first dose from the 6 weeks dosing program.

Now looking at this freakin clear tank with no skimmer running (only my wave maker and an old cheapo top box filter filled with floss and a small bag of GAC, I looked at my new DIY cone skimmer rated at 900 l/hour air intake (pump is secce psk2500 meshwheel)and wonder, if I still need to use the skimmer...or even water change :fun2: (mineral replenishment might be achieved by dosing calcium, kalkwasser and magnesium respectively)

Can I just dose bioptim and biodigest every 2 weeks without using a skimmer?

I am not going to put fish in there, just corals mostly LPS only. Maybe with some cleaner shrimps to add color.

I will also take away the top box filter later and probably run my fluval 405 later with just GAC, sponges and some zeolites. (easier and neater to maintain compared to bulky stubby sump)

Is this doable? Especially later I am gonna dose reef booster as well every 2 weeks.

This tank is in my bedroom and I was thinking if I dont use a skimmer I can reduce the noise...quieter sleep, cheaper electricity bill.

HighlandReefer
09/04/2011, 10:18 AM
When you add bacteria and carbon sources (which I assume is what is in these products you are adding), you need a mechanism to pull the bacteria out of your tank water, which a skimmer does a good job for this. Keep in mind bacteria do produce toxins as byproducts which need to be removed. There are many other good reasons to use a skimmer and do water changes which Randy discusses in these articles:

What is Skimming?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php