PDA

View Full Version : What and Where do you get your fish stuff?

Moved.On
09/04/2011, 11:46 AM
I am in the process of opening up my own fish store sometime in the next 3 years and I would just like to hear from everyone what they buy most at their LFS.

The purpose of this thread is to evaluate where our money is going for this hobby. Please post what you buy at your LFS's vs. what you might be buying from an online company.

For example:

I buy my tanks & most of my livestock at my LFS's and most of my drygoods online.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Psirex
09/04/2011, 01:48 PM
Live stock, basic filter media, basic food, live food.... As a suggestion be flexible when competing with internet prices... My LFS fights it tooth and nail most of the premium supplies (protein skimmers, sumps, tanks, etc) are marked up 50-85%....

phillyfishguy
09/04/2011, 01:53 PM
I buy my tanks and stands and sometimes salt but other then that I buy from sponsor on this site

Curious George
09/04/2011, 02:16 PM
I buy at That Pet Place--in store. The selection and price are better than anything I can get at an LFS.

As far as livestock, I buy locally. I am not a frequent buyer of livestock because I am a one tank guy, and once I have the tank fully stocked, my goal is to keep the fish for the long haul.

tebstan
09/04/2011, 02:29 PM
I buy everything locally that I can. I try to support the local economy, and it doesn't save me that much to shop online anyway, if I shop carefully. If what I want isn't available locally, I try to get a shop to special order. If they can't, then I go online.

If something goes wrong with a product, I want to go talk to my guy at the store, instead of calling some 800 number and getting a machine. A little peace of mind is worth a few extra bucks.

Palting
09/04/2011, 02:58 PM
I try to buy everything from the LFS. It doesn't matter what they are. It's about pricing and what I need. My LFS prices are actually pretty good, if you add in the shipping charges from on-line vendors. I don't mind paying up to 5% maybe 10% more just to keep it local. Then there's what I need. Anything I've bought on-line I would be glad to buy from the LFS if they have it in stock and the price is right.

aleonn
09/04/2011, 03:14 PM
I buy all livestock locally and most dry goods online. If I need plumbing parts, or if I'm in a rush for something in particular, I'll purchase from my LFS.

vikubz
09/04/2011, 03:33 PM
We had a new LFS open up this past spring. It is a salt water/reef only store. They carry quality skimmers, lighting and parts. (too much to list) They have 4 huge coral propagation tanks and dozens of tanks worth of livestock. The owner is a long time reefer who wanted to "do it right", and so far he has. It's called 'Anemones, Clowns and Corals' if you want to check out their Facebook page.

maysorum
09/04/2011, 03:36 PM
I make most of my purchases online, because it easy easier. I would prefer to buy live items and salt locally. If I had a really great saltwater shop I would definitely buy locally, though.

bpoore89
09/04/2011, 04:54 PM
That Fish Place in store for me. Its an hour and a half drive but you can't beat their prices. I'm not going to pay twice for the same item, especially with the stores around my area. Every one I've been in has the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

Moved.On
09/04/2011, 05:00 PM
Wow! What great feedback you all have contributed. Thank you so much! I hope even more people can comment on their experiences as well. This is really going to help in developing a small business plan.

Postal
09/04/2011, 05:09 PM
I buy 80% of my livestock and dry goods from one particular LFS because they have the best prices, service, and knowledge in town. Their dry goods prices are as cheap as online prices and even cheaper when you add in shipping. I have one or two other LFS that I check because I am always on the lookout for unique livestock. The only purchases I generally make online, are for hard to find or discontinued items.

cloak
09/04/2011, 05:43 PM
I buy pretty much everything at my LFS.

Neroon
09/04/2011, 08:40 PM
With the rare exception of something from Diver's Den, I buy everything from my LFS(Your Reef in Roseville, CA). I don't buy local just for the sake of buying local. I expect reasonable prices AND the personal touch you can only get by walking into a brick and mortar store. Relationships are huge for me as they pay dividends in the long run. Keep that in mind as you develop your business plan.

Moved.On
09/04/2011, 10:43 PM
With the rare exception of something from Diver's Den, I buy everything from my LFS(Your Reef in Roseville, CA). I don't buy local just for the sake of buying local. I expect reasonable prices AND the personal touch you can only get by walking into a brick and mortar store. Relationships are huge for me as they pay dividends in the long run. Keep that in mind as you develop your business plan.

Your comment is much appreciated. I totally agree that strong relationships are probably the most important aspect to this business. My LFS will do almost anything or get anything I want or need to keep me happy. I have been blessed to have had a great relationship with my LFS owner.