PDA

View Full Version : My fatties

Recty
09/04/2011, 04:30 PM
Just thought I'd share a couple pictures of my tangs that are starting to look obese... I need to stop feeding quite so much I think. Unfortunately, I couldnt get a good picture of the clown tang straight on to show his girth, but he's getting to be quite a chunk.

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang027.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/choc005.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/choc006.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/choc007.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/lieutenant019.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/lieutenant020.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/powderblue014.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/powderblue015.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/powderblue016.jpg

gatorchem
09/04/2011, 04:39 PM
Awesome looking fish!! PB, clown and? What is the other one?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

AlexS95
09/04/2011, 04:56 PM
Cool! What kind of camera?

Recty
09/04/2011, 05:03 PM
Awesome looking fish!! PB, clown and? What is the other one?

Sent from my DROID2 using TapatalkChocolate mimic tang is the one that is brown and has the bright yellow/orange fins. The other, more gray fish, is a lieutenant tang.

Cool! What kind of camera?

Canon 5D mkII. What's funny is I took these pictures from about 12 feet across the room, I was goofing around with my 400mm lens. They turned out pretty good, all things considered. I'd rather use a macro but sometimes the fish get skittish when I get up in their faces so I thought I'd try this out. They werent even aware I was taking pictures :)

AlexS95
09/04/2011, 06:00 PM
I need to upgrade my camera... :rolleyes:

Recty
09/04/2011, 10:49 PM
I need to upgrade my camera... :rolleyes:

Eh, fish keeping is expensive enough without having to throw a new camera into the mix. The camera/lens combo I took this picture with is right at $4000... I didnt buy the camera for my fish, I do some photography on the side of my main job, so the camera/lens are a business expense that I use for personal use also, but I certainly wouldnt have dumped that kind of cash into a camera/lens just for my fish :)

AlexS95
09/04/2011, 11:13 PM
That's a lot of money for a part-time after school job, so nothing that nice. :lol: How do the Clown and the PBT get along?

deepblue68
09/05/2011, 06:11 AM
beautiful healthy tangs!!

jonathansruelas
09/05/2011, 10:35 AM
nice looking tangs recty.. what do you feed them

MrTuskfish
09/05/2011, 11:09 AM
You don't have to throw the "obese tangs" label to get us to look at your gorgeous, healthy, fish and great photography. Its great to see the term ''obese" used with something of beauty; instead of me or Rosie O'Donnell. My youngest daughter is getting really good at fish photos and I guess I'll have a site for mine soon. They don't measure up to Recty's; but not many do. They are better than this guy's are, though...:dance: http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/fish/live-fish/saltwater-fish-corals-invertebrates-plants/saltwater-fish/triggerfish/cFish-cliveFish-csaltwaterFishcoralsinvertebratesplants-csaltwaterfish-ctriggerfish-p1.html

Edit: I think that's the best Clown Tang photo I've ever seen.

Recty
09/06/2011, 01:57 AM
That's a lot of money for a part-time after school job, so nothing that nice. :lol: How do the Clown and the PBT get along? Well, you can easily get something for a lot less. You could use a T3i and a 50mm f/1.8 to get pretty stinking good fish pictures, all for around $800 or so :)

The clown and PBT get along just fine. I think the dynamic in the tank will change over time, the clown was so tiny compared to everyone and now he is the mid size tang, pretty soon I'm sure he will be the big tang in the tank. As that happens, I have no doubt to see the pecking order shift. Right now he still acts like a 1.5" fish.

beautiful healthy tangs!! Thanks! I agree, they are beautiful and they sure seem healthy. I plan on keeping them that way, QT QT QT.

nice looking tangs recty.. what do you feed them NLS pellets and flakes, Ocean Nutrition One and Two, flakes and pellets of both. Also about a 6" x 6" square of nori every couple days. Once in a blue moon I feed mysis. I used to feed it a lot more but I've pretty much stopped once I ran out a couple months ago :) The fish dont seem to need it or care, when I put in mysis and pellets, they eat the pellets first so that's a good enough reason for me to stop.

You don't have to throw the "obese tangs" label to get us to look at your gorgeous, healthy, fish and great photography. Its great to see the term ''obese" used with something of beauty; instead of me or Rosie O'Donnell. My youngest daughter is getting really good at fish photos and I guess I'll have a site for mine soon. They don't measure up to Recty's; but not many do. They are better than this guy's are, though...:dance: http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/fish/live-fish/saltwater-fish-corals-invertebrates-plants/saltwater-fish/triggerfish/cFish-cliveFish-csaltwaterFishcoralsinvertebratesplants-csaltwaterfish-ctriggerfish-p1.html

Edit: I think that's the best Clown Tang photo I've ever seen.High praise. Good luck to your daughter, she will enjoy photography I bet. I wish I had gotten into it when I was younger.

That clown tang photo? I almost didnt post it, it's blurry as all get out but I liked it because he actually had his fins flared for once. That literally never happens, so I snapped the shot as quick as I could and I just got what I could :)

WuHT
09/07/2011, 12:50 AM
the powder blues/browns/achilles tang when fat look comical because their gut really shows as their pectoral fins pinch out in a funny looking angle.

jonathansruelas
09/07/2011, 12:53 AM
nice same formula you told me before lol.. great looking shots man, that camera does wonders

Umbriel
09/07/2011, 06:43 AM
Recty, your tangs are beautiful! Although, I must admit that your PBT (which I've never seen that big) made me laugh...it looks like it's saying "Hey hey hey!" like Fat Albert. =D

Juggler
09/07/2011, 08:15 AM
Nice tangz recty!

rpresto@hotmail
09/07/2011, 10:43 AM
I love the clown tang.

Recty
09/07/2011, 11:56 AM
the powder blues/browns/achilles tang when fat look comical because their gut really shows as their pectoral fins pinch out in a funny looking angle.It is pretty funny. What I've noticed about the powder blue is he only gets fat up front in the whole digestive system area, which actually makes me think "unhealthy" when I see it. The other tangs all get fat all over their bodies and keep the sleek, streamlined look. The PBT is just looking fat. And what's making me not like the look so much is that the rest of his body is definitely not skinny (that's why I included a side shot) but it's just no where near as fat as all the rest of the tangs. He's really not putting on tons of weight like the other fish. I'd suspect worms, but I did treat with Prazi twice... although I might at some point try a more direct internal deworming solution.

nice same formula you told me before lol.. great looking shots man, that camera does wonders Yep, you've asked me 3 or 4 times now it seems :) It just keep answering the same thing, I havent changed my feeding for years, all I end up doing is buying larger size pellets as the fish mature.

Recty, your tangs are beautiful! Although, I must admit that your PBT (which I've never seen that big) made me laugh...it looks like it's saying "Hey hey hey!" like Fat Albert. =D Agreed, it is pretty funny to watch. I just hope it's healthy.

Nice tangz recty!Thanks!

I love the clown tang. Me too. Amazing amount of growth going on, he's really put on size. I can tell he is going through another growth spurt right now, he was the same length as the powder blue (although not as tall) and about three weeks later he is now a good half inch longer at least. His body is thicker too except in the digestive area where the powder blue definitely has everyone else beat.

Pallobi
09/07/2011, 12:10 PM
those are some seriously great looking fish... and incredible photos... very nice, and thanks for sharing!!

Recty
09/08/2011, 10:47 AM
those are some seriously great looking fish... and incredible photos... very nice, and thanks for sharing!! No problem. I wish my zebrosoma had survived the tank move, they were fun to take pictures of and some nice looking fish.

I keep being tempted to post pictures of my pregnant wife in this thread, but I'm sure she would find out somehow.

MrTuskfish
09/09/2011, 11:25 AM
No problem. I wish my zebrosoma had survived the tank move, they were fun to take pictures of and some nice looking fish.

I keep being tempted to post pictures of my pregnant wife in this thread, but I'm sure she would find out somehow.
Go ahead. Women just glow at that times in their lives; I's sure she would be fine with it. (Can I have your camera stuff before she lists it on e-Bay?)

Recty
09/11/2011, 12:34 AM
Double posted somehow.

Recty
09/11/2011, 12:34 AM
Hah, funny. You aint getting my camera gear.

I finally got some good pictures of the clown tang... here is one of him 4 months ago to show the growth he has attained since then. For reference, that cleaner wrasse is 3" long. The clown tang came in at 1.5".

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang002.jpg

I'd say he is at least 4" now, probably more like 4.5", meaning he has grown 3 inches in four months. Pretty incredible. Look at his eye size in his juvenile picture in comparison to his body size and now the size of it. He has also gotten nice and fat. Unlike the powder blue who is only fat in the digestive area and normal sized through the rest of the body, this clown tang has gotten some nice girth to his entire body. IMO, this fish looks a lot healthier than the powder blue which I think I would classify as having a weight problem.

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang028.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang029.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang030.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang031.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang032.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang033.jpg

http://www.photerrific.com/share/clowntang034.jpg

jjk_reef00
09/11/2011, 01:43 AM
That is a sweet set of fish you have there, what size tank are they in?

D5HP
09/11/2011, 08:57 AM
That is one of the healthiest clown tangs that I have ever seen.

Bravo...really an awesome success story with a rather delicate species especially when they arrive at that size.

Glad to see they are all doing so well!

Recty
09/11/2011, 02:47 PM
That is a sweet set of fish you have there, what size tank are they in?Something most would consider waaaaay to small. This is their third upgrade already to a larger tank and I have another one planned :) Instead of buying a 300g tank right away, I've just been slowly upgrading as the fish get bigger. Kind of fun, a lot of work but I like having a project to do.

That is one of the healthiest clown tangs that I have ever seen.

Bravo...really an awesome success story with a rather delicate species especially when they arrive at that size.

Glad to see they are all doing so well!Thanks for the kind words. He really is a cool fish. I actually think he looks better than the powder blue, which is amazing because powder blues are one of the best looking fish in the world imo.

clowntriggerfis
09/11/2011, 03:00 PM
love your clown tang how big is he and is he mean to the other fish?

Sonicblast12
09/11/2011, 03:14 PM
It's fun to see "difficult" fish thriving. I think a lot of these newer pelleted foods are really helping move a lot of fish out of that category.

joejoe1055
09/11/2011, 06:20 PM
its simple those fish need more exercise! i guess you will have to get them a bigger tank so they can lol
your fish look great and your photography skills are awesome

ef200098
09/11/2011, 07:03 PM
Those things have some girth. They look fat n happy!

Recty
09/11/2011, 07:27 PM
love your clown tang how big is he and is he mean to the other fish?By reading the thread, you can see that he is around 4 to 4.5" :) And no, he isnt mean to any other fish. He grew up as the smallest fish in the tank and still has that small fish attitude. One day he will realize he isnt the smallest, just the youngest, and I suspect there will be some attitude adjustment for all the fish. Time will tell, though. Right now I'm just happy they are all happy.

It's fun to see "difficult" fish thriving. I think a lot of these newer pelleted foods are really helping move a lot of fish out of that category. I agree. Pellet foods seem to be amazing as far as keeping fish alive and thriving. Even my cleaner shrimp loves them.

its simple those fish need more exercise! i guess you will have to get them a bigger tank so they can lol
your fish look great and your photography skills are awesome I think you're right when you say they need exercise. They are swimming nonstop and I have lots of current in my tank, but still think about it. If I sat in a room all day, was fed 4-5 meals a day and only had a treadmill for exercise, I'm pretty sure I'd be getting plump too.

Those things have some girth. They look fat n happy! They are fat and I think they are happy, it's hard to see if they are smiling or not. There arent any nipped fins, cuts or body wounds, so I think they are all enjoying the peace in the tank and I hope it holds up.

jonathansruelas
09/11/2011, 07:47 PM
haha my fault ... is your clown tang aggressive? I was wondering if i could put him with a purple tang

murad
09/12/2011, 10:31 AM
very nice fish

Recty
09/12/2011, 10:57 PM
haha my fault ... is your clown tang aggressive? I was wondering if i could put him with a purple tangWhat is your fault? Are you also the user clowntriggerfis? If so, then that makes sense.

I wouldnt put a clown tang and a purple tang together, both tend to get territorial and mean, with the end result most likely being a single clown tang and a dead purple tang. It might be years down the road though... you could easily do it while they are under 6" without much problem, but once they get larger you'll most likely see some battles going on.

very nice fish Thanks!

jjk_reef00
09/12/2011, 11:40 PM
For what it is worth I had several Acanthurus species with a purple tang and never had a problem. Put them in at the same time and make sure the acanthurus is larger than the purple. It should be done in a tank longer than 6' otherwise you are playing with fire.

Recty
09/13/2011, 12:24 AM
TBH, I agree with you, but this guy is pretty new and I tailor my advice to people's level in the hobby.

Up until some weird condition killed my purple tang, I had him with these 4 acanthurus with no issues, but again they are all young fish.

If you provide a large tank, CLEAN water, lots of food, you can keep multiple tangs per tank. You just increasingly add a chance for fighting for each tang you add.

And like jjk says, definitely try to add all your planned tangs together. Adding tangs to a tank with already established tangs can be a disaster.

jwm2k3
09/15/2011, 10:37 PM
Recty, very nice fish.

Im a 20 plus year saltwater fishkeeper and 20 plus year scuba diver.

Everytime I get to the carribean and see the wild fish, Im astonished how FAT they are compared to aquarium fish, mine included.

So...dont stop feeding them, fat fish are happy fish!

Reeftanks6
09/22/2011, 07:23 PM
Recty i am still amazed at these fish they are beautiful! I hope i can get all my tangs to this size soon! you need to spread your ways down over here:) Well done my friend!!

Recty
09/27/2011, 01:04 PM
Recty i am still amazed at these fish they are beautiful! I hope i can get all my tangs to this size soon! you need to spread your ways down over here:) Well done my friend!!Thanks :)

Recty, very nice fish.

Im a 20 plus year saltwater fishkeeper and 20 plus year scuba diver.

Everytime I get to the carribean and see the wild fish, Im astonished how FAT they are compared to aquarium fish, mine included.

So...dont stop feeding them, fat fish are happy fish!Yep. I've been to Hawaii 6 times now, 4 of which I scuba dove and all of which I snorkeled extensively. Fish in their native environment are normally at least twice as fat as any I see in the aquarium. It has to have something to do with nonstop "grazing" type eating as compared to in our tanks where they get a meal or two a day.

I auto feed four times a day and I manually feed flakes/pellets 2-3 times a day, plus nori once or twice a week and I still dont have fish that are as fat as in the wild. But in my tank I'm sure they arent getting as much exercise as they would in the wild, so they dont need as much food no doubt.

And for what it's worth, I bought a 180g tank last night :) My fish are going to be in a much bigger home soon.

Recty
09/28/2011, 09:58 AM
OOOoooooOOOOOoooooo, I just picked up the tank last night and thought it looked a little bigger than I remember a 180 being.

I measured it once I got it to my house and it is 7' long x2'x2', so that puts it right at 210 gallons. Perfect, I've never owned a 7' tank before and with tangs I definitely want the length more than the height.

jjk_reef00
09/28/2011, 11:02 PM
Sweet, I can't wait to see new pics! Do you have plans on adding more fish, or are you going to just grow out the ones you have?

Recty
09/29/2011, 01:09 AM
Sweet, I can't wait to see new pics! Do you have plans on adding more fish, or are you going to just grow out the ones you have?

I havent 100% decided yet... I've got 4 nice tangs, all small, I wouldnt mind just growing out. With that said, I could easily fit some more in there quite happily and let them grow out as well.

If I keep down to just 4, I probably can get away with not replacing any for years and years to come. In fact, everyone should be happy in there long term except the clown tang if it grows to a huge wild size of around 2'... I dont think it will really get that big in captivity though.

So... I might get a couple more small tangs, as long as I can get them small, that is key for me. Or, I'll get a couple other fish like anthias or dwarf angels.

Long story short, I have no idea at this point. I'm buying a house right now and dont have tons of disposable income to just throw at fish and what not, so I might just stick with my 4 tangs, damsel and cleaner wrasse for a while and see how they like stretching their legs out :)

jonathansruelas
09/29/2011, 01:11 AM
OOOoooooOOOOOoooooo, I just picked up the tank last night and thought it looked a little bigger than I remember a 180 being.

I measured it once I got it to my house and it is 7' long x2'x2', so that puts it right at 210 gallons. Perfect, I've never owned a 7' tank before and with tangs I definitely want the length more than the height.

haha so you got a 210 gallon tank, 30 more gallons for you to add some more fish .. :lol2:

what kind are you going to get along with your tangs you already have?

Recty
09/29/2011, 01:17 AM
Not sure, not sure...

A couple dwarf angels might be cool, even a larger angel. Or, I might just stick totally to tangs. A guy named Goodwin on here had like 46 tangs in his 600g tank at once or something crazy like that, I dont want to get quite that overboard but I wouldnt mind 2-3 more in the tank, especially while small and content to just eat food and swim around.

I was also thinking that if I have only 4 relatively small tangs, a fiji devil (and I do mean devil) damsel and a cleaner wrasse in a 210 gallon tank with a 40g sump and a good skimmer, I could probably go months between water changes as the amount of waste being produced is pretty minimal, so it might be nice to just have a "set and forget" type of fish tank for a while?

jjk_reef00
09/29/2011, 11:34 PM
You should try some hardy butterfly fish. I'm hooked on them. IMO my auriga, teardrop, raccoon, and tahitian could all handle the speed and aggression of larger tangs. They all aggressively eat pellets and flake,

Recty
09/30/2011, 10:56 AM
You should try some hardy butterfly fish. I'm hooked on them. IMO my auriga, teardrop, raccoon, and tahitian could all handle the speed and aggression of larger tangs. They all aggressively eat pellets and flake,

I've thought about adding butterfly fish... I like the auriga, raccoon, saddleback, pakistan and vagabond.

I was a little concerned with how well they would do with tangs, I've had two semilarvatus b/f before and they did decent with my tangs, but they were slightly larger than the tangs were.

Anyway, it's definitely a thought. I like the dwarf angels a lot too.

Or, I might just leave my large tank with just my 6 fish in it and see how they do. My main concern with that is as the fish get larger, it will be harder and harder territory wise to add new fish, so if I'm going to add some I'd like to do it now.

g35mike
09/30/2011, 01:14 PM
Awesome pics!

palmer373
09/30/2011, 08:26 PM
I know you like triggers, what about one or two of them?

Sonicblast12
09/30/2011, 10:01 PM
Get another Emp!

Recty
10/01/2011, 04:22 PM
I thought about getting another emperor, it's just that they get so big and I've already done the large angel thing... but it might be in the works, time will tell.

I still cant nail down what I want to do with a large tank again. I planned on slowly upgrading over a year or two and ending up with something large, not just going from a 40g to a 210g, so I havent really been thinking about it until just a couple days ago.

palmer373
10/01/2011, 10:32 PM
I know youve done a tessalated eel before but what about a zebra eel, just got a snowflake and i really like him.

Recty
10/02/2011, 05:00 PM
My main problem with eels is the hide a lot, eat a lot and poop a lot. So you dont get a lot of bang for your buck, in my opinion. You need to get rid of a lot of waste because of them, you cant just feed pellets/flakes anymore and they dont come out much, so to me it just isnt worth it unless you really just know you want an eel.

Recty
10/02/2011, 10:20 PM
Holy cow... I just found one of my old videos from late March of how small the clown tang used to be.

http://youtu.be/knBgfFw8gkM

jonathansruelas
10/03/2011, 12:28 AM
Not sure, not sure...

A couple dwarf angels might be cool, even a larger angel. Or, I might just stick totally to tangs. A guy named Goodwin on here had like 46 tangs in his 600g tank at once or something crazy like that, I dont want to get quite that overboard but I wouldnt mind 2-3 more in the tank, especially while small and content to just eat food and swim around.

I was also thinking that if I have only 4 relatively small tangs, a fiji devil (and I do mean devil) damsel and a cleaner wrasse in a 210 gallon tank with a 40g sump and a good skimmer, I could probably go months between water changes as the amount of waste being produced is pretty minimal, so it might be nice to just have a "set and forget" type of fish tank for a while?

Wow 46 tangs together in a 600??? Crazy must have looked beautiful!!!
I love drawf angels, you can get a potter and flame.. Whatever you do I know it'll be a good selection of fish..

But your idea sounds good if your too busy for the rdgular water changes, but it'll be hard to see all that open space for more fish and not want to add more lol ::lol:

StephLionfish
10/03/2011, 12:40 AM
Holy cow... I just found one of my old videos from late March of how small the clown tang used to be.

Half the video I was busy looking for it! I saw it and I swear I thought it was a damsel... a couple of seconds later it hit me...

Recty
10/03/2011, 02:27 AM
Yeah, he was a REALLY little tang. I bought him at 1.5" supposedly but I think it was more like 1.25" or even like 1.1" ;)

That damsel, which dwarfed him in mass in that video, is now a little tiny fish compared to him. Crazy how fast some fish can grow.

anbosu
10/03/2011, 03:26 PM
There was another guy on here who had something like 100 big fish in a 240. Then his wife unplugged his return pump for a few hours to vacuum and killed most of the fish in his tank.

jonathansruelas
10/03/2011, 06:08 PM
There was another guy on here who had something like 100 big fish in a 240. Then his wife unplugged his return pump for a few hours to vacuum and killed most of the fish in his tank.

Talk about murder in the 1st:uzi:

collegeman
10/03/2011, 09:04 PM

Yep. I've been to Hawaii 6 times now, 4 of which I scuba dove and all of which I snorkeled extensively. Fish in their native environment are normally at least twice as fat as any I see in the aquarium. It has to have something to do with nonstop "grazing" type eating as compared to in our tanks where they get a meal or two a day.

I auto feed four times a day and I manually feed flakes/pellets 2-3 times a day, plus nori once or twice a week and I still dont have fish that are as fat as in the wild. But in my tank I'm sure they arent getting as much exercise as they would in the wild, so they dont need as much food no doubt.

And for what it's worth, I bought a 180g tank last night :) My fish are going to be in a much bigger home soon.
Your fish are very healthy and fat. My tang and foxface is a little fatter than yours. I feed twice a day but provide the fish with nori 24/7. Do you find a problem with providing nori 24/7 beside water quality problem(which have not been a problem)? I feel that having nori in all the time provides them with the ability to graze all day long.

Recty
10/03/2011, 11:37 PM
Wow 46 tangs together in a 600??? Crazy must have looked beautiful!!!

This was the guy, btw...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447746&page=16

You'd have to search around through the thread to find the best pictures... I read the entire thread about a year ago, the guy had an amazing tank.

Recty
10/03/2011, 11:40 PM
Your fish are very healthy and fat. My tang and foxface is a little fatter than yours. I feed twice a day but provide the fish with nori 24/7. Do you find a problem with providing nori 24/7 beside water quality problem(which have not been a problem)? I feel that having nori in all the time provides them with the ability to graze all day long.What tang are you referring to that is fat? I'd love to see pictures.

I dont provide nori 24/7, I add it to the tank 2-3 times a week. I find that if I add it all day long, it just rots into the tank, I only have 4 tangs and they are all under 6" long, so they dont have a huge need for nori. If I had 10 tangs that size I'd definitely be wanting to add more nori, but for not just 2-3 times a week seems to be the best balance between hunger and keeping water quality nice and high.

jjk_reef00
10/04/2011, 12:35 AM

Wow look at him eat, no wonder he has grown so big.
Do you still have the queen trigger?
How would you compare the queen trigger to your old goldenheart?

Reeftanks6
10/04/2011, 03:31 PM
Wow that clown tang blows my mind at how small it was. You got a great specimen. Recty i also followed Goodwins thread, what an amazing tank and the fish he kept was incredible. I use to watch his live video a lot to see what the fish were doing it was beautiful.

Recty
10/04/2011, 05:18 PM
Wow look at him eat, no wonder he has grown so big.
Do you still have the queen trigger?
How would you compare the queen trigger to your old goldenheart?I sold the queen trigger. It was a sad day but it needed to be done. She was eating as much, or more, than all the other fish combined. She was growing very fast and in the last week or two getting quite aggressive. I attribute some of that to the too small tank for her rapidly expanding size.

Queen vs Goldheart... the queen in my experience was definitely more aggressive and certainly faster growing. My goldheart maybe grew an inch in the year I kept it, it went from around 5" to MAYBE 6", whereas the queen went from 4.5" or so to 7" in about 5 months.

Body shapes were very similar, patterns obviously differed. They reminded me a lot of each other.

In the end, if I wanted a community trigger, I'd get the goldheart over the queen. If I wanted a species only tank, or one with just a few very aggressive fish, I'd select the queen.

Wow that clown tang blows my mind at how small it was. You got a great specimen. Recty i also followed Goodwins thread, what an amazing tank and the fish he kept was incredible. I use to watch his live video a lot to see what the fish were doing it was beautiful.Yep, that clown was a BABY. Just crazy small. Once I got him adjusted onto my food which only took about 2 days, he has been an absolute pig. He was too small to eat the 1mm pellets at first, but he really really tried. He mainly ate flakes and nori and chomped away at the pellets but couldnt just inhale pellets like all the other fish. After about a month, he was finally big enough to ingest a whole pellet, at that point his growth really took off. Now, he is almost big enough to eat the 3mm pellets...

I just realized last night that Goodwin died months ago. I knew he had cancer from reading his thread but I stopped reading through it a year ago or so, I just read again last night once I found it and he is no longer with us, that's too bad.