PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 1" bulkhead hole..

duoc9119
09/04/2011, 07:16 PM
I have a 40 breeder that has a hole for a 1 inch bulkhead, I'm assuming for the overflow. It is about 3 1/2" down and 1 1/2-2 inches from the side. I don't think 1 inch plumbing will be as effective in turns of turn over rate.

Could I just get a hole cutter and cut around the hole for a 1 1/2 bulkhead? And then use an elbow to act as a simple overflow, probably have to use a few inches of pipe to get it above water level and cut some slots in to keep things out.

If I could pull off cutting around the hole, how much flow should I have going through the tank? I was looking at getting a mag 5 for a return and from the head loss calculator and it would be running around 260gph through the sump.

Any ideas? Pump suggestions, overflow suggestions, pretty much open to anything.

mc-cro
09/04/2011, 07:56 PM
It would be extremely tricky, but possible to drill out a larger hole. But, I am not sure what you mean by a 1" drain will not be effective? A 1" drain will more then handle a Mag 5 pump.

There are dozens of different ways to set up drains, with and without "overflow" chambers.

duoc9119
09/04/2011, 08:05 PM
It would be extremely tricky, but possible to drill out a larger hole. But, I am not sure what you mean by a 1" drain will not be effective? A 1" drain will more then handle a Mag 5 pump.

There are dozens of different ways to set up drains, with and without "overflow" chambers.

Would you have any links or specifics on different drain setups?

Toxiq reef
09/04/2011, 09:06 PM
I run a mag 5 on a 90, remember slow through the sump increases skimmer efficiency

duoc9119
09/04/2011, 09:17 PM
I run a mag 5 on a 90, remember slow through the sump increases skimmer efficiency

So should I go down to a Mag 3? I'm planning to just have a simple 20 gallon sump to house the skimmer, heater, return pump, and ato.

Also on a side note, what are those foam wedge things some of you guys are using to hold baffles in place? I'm tired of trying to glue things in and then releasing I want to change the layout down the line.. Haha

duoc9119
09/05/2011, 09:29 AM
bump

duoc9119
09/05/2011, 06:23 PM
bump again. It is dropping to the 2nd page pretty fast now.

No one has any info on possible drain types?

shookbrad
09/05/2011, 07:36 PM
The best I have found is the silent drain with an emergency pipe. It is simple the main drain line has a gate valve on it. Close it till you have a perfect syphon so no air is sucked in. You have to have an extra drain pie just in case the main is clogged.

duoc9119
09/05/2011, 09:17 PM
So something along the lines of an elbow facing down with a grate or something to keep things from crawling in and an elbow facing up slightly above water level as the emergency?

Sounds simple enough

shookbrad
09/05/2011, 09:34 PM
Yep, their is a thread that is very long on the forum if you need more info on it.

soverjas
09/06/2011, 12:50 AM

if the skimmer pump pulls the same amount of water into the skimmer regardless of flow rate from drain and return pump back to the system how did you come up with the above statement?

soverjas
09/06/2011, 01:54 AM
1.5"I.D. drain figuring 3F/s gravity feed w/ minimal friction caused by bends = 17.5 gpm 1050 gph

versus

1"I.D. drain figuring 3F/S gravity feed w/ minimal friction caused by bends = 8 gpm 480 gph

Depending on what your looking for a mag 5 may be sufficient. Keep in mind a mag 5 will lose head pressure fighting gravity up the return so figure at 3 feet a mag 5 will only be at 380gph. Based on the info above a 1" drain can easily stay ahead of a mag 5.

Flow rate is a matter of preference and has always been a matter debated. Personally I like a faster flow through the sump then what you'll get using only a 1" bulkhead and a mag5. Some will say 4 to 5 times your total water volume others will say 6 to 8 times for flow. I have always preferred 6 to 8 times.

Personally I would increase to the 1.5" or a 1.25" bulk head for your drain if its an option. You can always reduce the flow going into your sump using a reducing pvc bell/couple that way you'll get higher psi then using a 1 inch pipe from the tank to the sump.

duoc9119
09/06/2011, 08:01 AM
I think I found the thread you were talking about. It has 3 drains (full siphon, emergency, and the one with an air hose). I think I will go with what the thread did but with an emergency and durso style. Then use a bushing to bring the plumbing to 1.5" on the outside of the tank to the sump.

Amoore311
09/06/2011, 08:32 AM
if the skimmer pump pulls the same amount of water into the skimmer regardless of flow rate from drain and return pump back to the system how did you come up with the above statement?

I think the original statement just needs a bit more clarification.

If you skimmer put is rated at 600 gph and your return pump is pushing out 1100 GPH you aren't skimming efficiently. A ton of water is getting through without getting skimmed. You don't have to match everything perfectly, but you want to get close.

On the other side of the coin, if your skimmer pump is rated at 600 GPH, and you are only pushing 200gph through the sump, you aren't skimming as much as the skimmer can handle.

I've always tried to match my skimmers rating with my return pump. Let the main amount of circulation for the display come from powerheads or a closed loop.

duoc9119
09/07/2011, 03:03 PM
Ok so match try to match whatever skimmer I'm going to get.

Wow in one day, this thread dropped to page 6.

jmking33
09/11/2011, 08:52 PM
A 1 inch bulkhead is more than enough for a 40 breeder. The method your talking about is a variation of the "herbie method". I always use a 2 pipe system for my overflows. 1 is used at full siphon and the second is the back up. I also use a gate valve on the siphon so I can control/match it to my return pump. Its dead silent. I also use a weir.