PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer issues after painting floor

jscarlata
09/05/2011, 06:51 AM
Late last night I painted the floor in the basement workshop where my tank is. I did not get paint anywhere near the water or tank. I used home depot brand 1part epoxy paint. After I painted myself out of the room I thought, hmm, maybe i should have turned off the skimmer...turns out u was right, went downstairs to find my slimmer wigged out and foamed over to the point that t drained out my return section of the sump and lowered the water in the tank. It was weird, skimmer acted as if I put a new filter sock in, white foam over the top, 1 gallon skimmer collection container full and water all over the concrete platform the stand is on. Brewing an emergency 5g of water now, but jeez, cNt believe how sensitive the skimmer is

moondoggy4
09/05/2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Filter_Media/Poly_Filter/ I would put this in your tank and I also would put in a lot of carbon to remove to fumes from the water. Was there any anti fungal in the epoxy?

doctorgori
09/05/2011, 01:08 PM
just goes to show just how enviormentally hostile the avg household is to our tank inhabitants...
shoot, I even blame many "mystery deaths" to the likes of nefarious aerosols like "Aquanet", "Lysol" and even "Right Guard" ...God only knows how many asst chemicals get absorbed by the tank water...

+ on the poly filter and or carbon....

chilwil84
09/05/2011, 09:11 PM
think about what you breathed in in the process of painting.