PDA

View Full Version : 300 Gallon - Converting a big Herbie overflow to a Bean Animal

TJQ
09/05/2011, 09:12 PM
I'm currently doing a major revamp of my whole setup, and I want to address something that's always bothered me: my overflow.

My tank is 96x24x30" tall which a large overflow to the left third of the tank which is 24" x 8" and takes up a massive amount of space. When I signed up for this design, I really wasn't aware of how much this would limit my aquascaping and flow options due to my inexperience. If I could do it differently, I would. And maybe I can? That's where I need the help of more experienced people to tell me if this is feasible.

I would like to:
a) Remove the current overflow and plug the holes. (3 x 1.5", 2 x 1" bulkheads)
b) Drill the left side of the tank and install in a Bean Animal w/ a coast to coast.

The tank is built by Miracles and is 3/4" thick glass, with starfire on the front and sides. According to the invoice only the bottom is tempered. (I have emailed them to confirm)

My questions are:
1) If I am reasonably carefully could I cleanly remove the overflow?
2) Could I safely plug the holes with new bulkheads and plumbing caps?
3) Can I hire a glass company to drill new holes on the left side of the tank, while leaving it in the house?
4) If I were to have someone build the coast to coast overflow acrylic piece, how skilled would I have to be to install it myself?

Here is a pic:
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/TJQ1/photo.jpg

The idea would to be use Schedule 80 piping as it would blend in with dark drapes and black stand as most people would be viewing the tank from an angle.

reefermad619
09/05/2011, 10:59 PM
Even though that overflow sucks, you can keep it and still do a bean. A bean doesn't require a C2C overflow. The C2C is best for surface skimming, but if you want to work what ya got, you can. Use the three 1.5" holes for the drains and the two 1" for returns. That would be the easiest thing to do. Much easier than removing old overflow, caping holes, drilling new holes, and installing a new overflow. And FYI, I've made the bean work with dual overflow RR tanks. It can be done. GL.

TJQ
09/06/2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the response -- I am actually quite happy with the performance of the Herbie despite the tweaking to get it set. My main objective here is to free up the foot print of the tank, which I am more than willing to do at this point if it is feasible.

TJQ
09/07/2011, 02:03 PM
Miracles got back to me:
-The overflow can be removed
-The holes can be plugged with thread plugs
-The tank can be drilled on the side, but the holes should be counter sunk as it will remove the chips taken away from drilling.

Looks like this will be a go. I will most likely have the new overflow built, and then will attempt to install it myself.