PDA

View Full Version : Vodka/Vinegar dosing

InADream
09/05/2011, 09:22 PM
I am currently starting to dose vinegar into my 90gallon tank. I am on day 4 right now. My question is would it be best to add vodka to the mix and start them both? Also, I know the dosing amount for vodka, and the amount for vinegar, but I do not know the amount if they were both mixed.

Do I dose the same amount of each source the same as if they were dosed alone?

Thanks

bertoni
09/05/2011, 10:41 PM
Different tanks seem to react differently to carbon dosing. You could start vodka dosing if you'd like, but I don't know what would work best. Experimentation is required. If you want to add some vodka to the mix, that'd be fine, but it's about 8x the concentration of vinegar, so keep that in mind when substituting.

jtma508
09/06/2011, 06:34 AM
I've just started dosing VV. After digesting all the articles and authoratative threads here's what I decided to do: I add 6ml vodka and 44ml white vinegar to 500ml RODI. I then add 1/2tsp kalk powder and mix (this mitigates any impact on pH of the vinegar). Some kalk residue may remain. That's ok. This is a 1/10 solution to allow for dosing via dosing pump. The starting rate (you change the rate as I'm sure you've learned from reading the various threads on the subject) is 0.18ml per gallon.

InADream
09/06/2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys for the help. Maybe I am missing something, but what I need is the percent of vodka to dose with vinegar. I know the VSV formula is 200ml vodka to 50ml vinegar. Would that be good or would 400ml of vinegar be mixed with 50ml of vodka. that would be 8:1 ratio of vinegar to vodka. Then dose the tank with the recommended dosing schedule.

Thanks

HighlandReefer
09/06/2011, 03:00 PM
There is no reason to necessarily believe that dosing either vodka or vinegar is better nor their combinations.

Randy has used both separately & in combination. He found that when dosing vinegar he had less cyano problems. I found the same results regarding cyano as did Randy. Every tank is different in the make-up of the micro-organisms within their tanks, so other hobbyists may get the opposite results. Unfortunately no scientific studies have been completed regarding this.

My recommendation would be to try one first by itself and if you see cyano develop, switch to the other. Since you are currently using vinegar, I would stay with it for a while and see how it works for you. Then go from there. Use the vodka straight next. Then try mixing the two. You need to give any experiment like this at a miminum 60 days to see results before you change things. Watch the effects on your coral....etc carefully. ;)

My two cents. :D

Felixc395
09/06/2011, 03:39 PM
Yep, I know it doesn't answer your question, but I dose vinegar alone and get no cyano what so ever. And I dose 13 tbsp or 190 ml daily in my 75 gallon with good results so far.

InADream
09/06/2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks HighlandReefer, I will stick with vinegar and give it at least 3 months. I thought supplying two different carbon sources would be better..

thanks everyone,,

HighlandReefer
09/06/2011, 06:10 PM
You're welcome. ;)

mdeleon1
09/09/2011, 06:19 PM
Where can I find the step by step instructions for the vinegar dosing? I'm started to see small patches of GHA and I want to get it before it gets out of control.

bertoni
09/09/2011, 09:13 PM
This article is useful:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

dpeoples
09/10/2011, 01:31 PM
Yea I read that article found it helpful as well