PDA

View Full Version : red hair algea

scott11
09/05/2011, 09:47 PM
What are some causes and solutions to red hair algea. I have a new tank setup so there are many variables as to what is causing this.

I may have had some water with a TDS up to 10- it was an emergency water change.

New lights- not sure on how many hours of lighting, so right now they run about 12.

Low flow- have some new pumps on the way.

Any other causes that I should be looking for or any solutions? I plan on brushing most of it off tomorrow, but that will only get what I can reach

Psirex
09/05/2011, 09:55 PM
how new?

water specs?

feeding cycle?

Bioload?

Filtration system?

Pics?

scott11
09/05/2011, 10:56 PM
it is less than a month old, but most contents came from my last tank which was up for a while. I dont have specs, but nitrate was under 10 and phosphates are undetectable and last test. I feed homemade a few times a week, and spectrum pellets daily. Heavy bioload, MSX200 skimmer.

My feeding and equipment is the same as always with no issues in the past. I am thinking it is the new lights or the high TDS water- just looking for other ideas.

Psirex
09/05/2011, 10:59 PM
it is less than a month old, but most contents came from my last tank which was up for a while. I dont have specs, but nitrate was under 10 and phosphates are undetectable and last test. I feed homemade a few times a week, and spectrum pellets daily. Heavy bioload, MSX200 skimmer.

My feeding and equipment is the same as always with no issues in the past. I am thinking it is the new lights or the high TDS water- just looking for other ideas.

Complete blackout for 3 days... Get a new water source with a better TDS, also get a clean up crew.

sporto0
09/05/2011, 11:10 PM
Honestly 10 TDS is not that high, ideally you want 0 but...
I'm curious as to the heavy Bio-Load, please elaborate?
Going lights out is just a band aid, if the conditions causing you problem persist, the algae will just reappear if it even goes away in 3 days, which is doubtful.

Psirex
09/05/2011, 11:16 PM
Honestly 10 TDS is not that high, ideally you want 0 but...
I'm curious as to the heavy Bio-Load, please elaborate?
Going lights out is just a band aid, if the conditions causing you problem persist, the algae will just reappear if it even goes away in 3 days, which is doubtful.

How many fish do you have in the tank? How often for water changes?

If i remember correctly Red Algae has a lot to do with Phosphates and Nitrates - if you search the forum for 'red algae' or cyanobacteria you will get some more useful info.