PDA

View Full Version : A couple clown questions

SteveCon89
09/05/2011, 11:08 PM
I currently have a small perc in my 60 gallon cube and want to get a mate. Hopefully an onyx or something else interesting...but anyways, what's the best way to go about pairing? I can never remember if I should add a bigger or smaller clown, I would imagine a bigger one.
Also, is it true that certain anemone's can cause clowns to change in color? I would hate to have a beautiful pair of clowns not be so beautiful anymore because of their host.
Thanks guys

Korrine
09/06/2011, 12:18 AM
if you have had a clown by itself for awhile always, always add a smaller clown preferably from a group of clowns. When they are by themselves it doesn't take long for them to begin changing to a female and when that happens there is no going back. Adding a smaller one from a group helps to "ensure" that you are adding a sexless clown or a male. If you get 2 females they will fight brutally.

I have heard that some clowns can "fade" while being hosted.

SteveCon89
09/06/2011, 10:46 AM
I've had this clown for 3 weeks or so...he's only about 1.5 inches max...but i want to get a mate today...go for a smaller one?

Korrine
09/06/2011, 10:57 AM
with your clown at 1.5" I would def go for a smaller clown.

Whip316
09/06/2011, 01:15 PM
a bta will fade your clowns of their black. if you have an onyx pair, they will look like a perc after a while, but once the nem is removed, the color will return. this has happened to me.

vwwanksta69
09/06/2011, 01:25 PM
I would def. get a smaller one than your current clown

jeosbo
09/06/2011, 02:07 PM
Smaller is better when pairing a clown, once they start turning to female they (almost definately) won't go back. Worst case will be that you have a couple of males that need to sort out who the boss will be.