PDA

View Full Version : Redo my 120g from scratch

JBuffetReefer
09/06/2011, 02:01 AM
Okay I have had my 120g tank for 3 years and I have let it go. Recently I had a lionfish kept in it but has expired and I tried placing rabbitfish in it and they died. I have a really bad algae growth and it looks more like an underwater forrest than an aquarium. I am to a point that I want to empty the tank out and start it from scratch.

I know my hardware is still good (skimmer, pumps etc). Everything else (live rock, sand & water) I want to go and redo from scratch. I have sand now that I am thinking of replacing with crushed coral. Taking out the live rock and scrubbing it down to remove all the algae.

I currently have a frog spawn, 2 anemones, some zoanthids and a coral banded shrimp in the tank.

I wanted some opinions on what I should do. I want to keep it corals and fish like before. I am worried that their is some mystery ingrediant in the tank that is killing fish (when I added the rabbitfish the tank parameters were right on).

Would you replace the sand? Keep the live rock or get rid of it? Use some of the old water or empty it out completely?

JBuffetReefer
09/06/2011, 09:14 AM
No opinions on this?

ultraxr
09/06/2011, 09:56 AM
where is most of your algae problem on? sand or rocks?

what are your water parameters?

Post up a FTS if you can to better show the type of algae outbreak.

I had an algae breakout but only on my sand. Nothing on my rocks so i ended up siphoning out almost all of my coarse sand and will be slowly adding new Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade sand in later on. I would suggest NOT going with crush coral at all. If you had an algae problem, that usually means you have either an over abundance of nutrients or not enough flow. Try cleaning off your rock INSIDE your tank, siphon out your sand, increase flow, skim wet, and do water changes until your parameters are within specs.

JBuffetReefer
09/06/2011, 10:36 AM
The algae is mostly on the rock. I added the rabbitfish to eat the algae but he didnt survive aclimation. I know rabbitfish are typically very hardy so I think there is something in the tank that is not good for the fish which makes me lean towards stripping the tank and starting over. I will try to post a picture later today. I have never heard of having problems with crushed coral before.

JBuffetReefer
09/06/2011, 04:22 PM
Here are some pics of the tank in its current condition. An underwater algae forest.

sporto0
09/06/2011, 04:38 PM
Wow, honestly, I would break it down, that is pretty far gone. You only have a few corals that should easily survive this. I would rinse that sand to death, get any trapped detritus out of there. Scrub that rock in tubs of saltwater, don't get lazy with this part, that GHA will cling on for dear life, don't let it. Keep the rocks in tubs with circulation so that they will keep their bacteria colonies & you won't have to cycle the tank again, you might see a small spike in ammonia at first, but it shouldn't be a problem. I would not use much of your old water, if any at all. I had to do this once as well, I took this oppurtunity to upgrade from a 55g with crushed coral (don't do it, was the underlying cause of my GHA breakout) to a 90g with sand. This was a project that took 14 hours & hard work to complete, but I was so pleased with the results, it made it all worth while. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

jadendo
09/06/2011, 04:47 PM
RUN GFO.. Mine was like that but after I run GFO for 2 weeks it's all good now.

sporto0
09/06/2011, 05:33 PM
RUN GFO.. Mine was like that but after I run GFO for 2 weeks it's all good now.

Your tank looked like that & you ran GFO for "2" weeks & it's all gone?!?! I would have to see some before & after pics to believe that. It would take a miracle for that to go away in 2 weeks in my opinion.

JBuffetReefer
09/06/2011, 07:17 PM
How does replacing sand with crushed coral cause an algae problem. Ive never heard of this before.

exray
09/06/2011, 07:37 PM
Man from what I see. I would setup maybe a 20 of 30gallon tank move all live stock to it with 50% of the old water, and start the 120 all over. clean the sand and the rocks. I would even let the rocks dry to kill anything on them, and again start fresh.

thats what I would. and I wouldn't use crusd corals.