PDA

View Full Version : New tank set up questions

million206
09/06/2011, 09:37 AM
I just set up my tank, well 2 actually me and my roomate each got one. We have a 29 bio cube and a 60 gallon acrylic. We put sand and crushed coral on the bottom first then added water and did our salt mix. Once we got propersalinity 3 days later we went looking for live rock, so trying to help with the budget I went to craigslist after seeing the expensive prices at the lfs and found a guy selling over 100lbs of Fiji love rock. I bought it and transported it to my home with his water in the buckets for transport. When i got home in the bucket where we put a couple small mushrooms we saw and 2 damsels we drip acclimated. The rock was added to the tank and spread out so the alkaline Algee was face up to the light. We then added the guys water from the buckets along with all his crushed coral as he said his water was already good. Now it's been overnight and I came out to both damsels swimming my bullaeye coral kind of looks dead? But the issue is all the green grass looks kind of white not dark green thats growing on the rock and slot of the sediment settled on the rocks and it doesn't look clean. Also will all the alkaline Algee die or will it stay on the rock. Should I buy dry bad rock from the lfs to stack up my rock on a wall. Where do I go from here? I am looking to do a reef aquarium with fish in both.

Also my 60g tank has a small drop in filter 2 powerheads a 150 watt heater and a nova extreme 8bulb 48 inch t5 lighting set up what else should I get for equipment.

The bio cube is all stock accept with the small added protien skimmer.

fshaqrmman
09/06/2011, 10:14 AM
What kind of water did you add to your tanks originally?
I think the alkaline algae you are referring to is coraline algae. As long as your lighting, calcium, and magnesium levels are sufficient you should be good.

million206
09/06/2011, 10:26 AM
Ya cordlike Algae ha. Originally it was tap water with salt from the lfs which I mixed to the proper salinity prior to buyin the love rock.

rogermccray
09/06/2011, 11:45 AM
Ya cordlike Algae ha. Originally it was tap water with salt from the lfs which I mixed to the proper salinity prior to buyin the love rock.

I would really steer away from tap water, get RO water or distilled water...

fshaqrmman
09/06/2011, 01:11 PM

Did you add something to remove the chlorine/chloramines?

million206
09/06/2011, 01:38 PM
I added some tap water conditioner ? I'm pretty sure I added enough if I didnt what could happen and what should I do?

Uncle Salty 05
09/06/2011, 02:14 PM
Read all of the stickies at the top of this forum before taking any action.
Here is a good one to start you off.
Read and learn more about what you are doing before making and drastic changes.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

million206
09/06/2011, 04:02 PM
I already had read that thread and many others. I feel like I understand most of what was talked about.