PDA

View Full Version : 4 months later I found my fish... cool story

abezr
09/06/2011, 09:48 AM
hey i figured this could be a cool story, I have a school of scissortail gobies, they always swim really close together, sleep together and all that. I came to my aquarium to find that one had jumped so i picked him up put him in my aquarium and saw him lying on the sandbed.... i was sure he would be dead...
next day no sign of him, for 4 months i did not see him, yesterday i was doing maintenance on my skimmer and FOUND HIM SWIMMING IN THERE WHAATTT.... living on what ever copepods where growing... i caught him put him back in the aquarium and he joined his school - he was really skinny though...

Lesson is if you ever have a missing fish... check everywhere......

RotaryGeek
09/06/2011, 10:01 AM
Wow 4 months is a long time for anything to live in a skimmer, you got lucky.

rogermccray
09/06/2011, 10:05 AM
Very cool story.

Sugar Magnolia
09/06/2011, 10:10 AM
Wow, pretty amazing that he was still alive in there!

ultraxr
09/06/2011, 10:22 AM
That's crazy that it got into the skimmer. HOW? Obviously not through the pump. lol

Runfrumu
09/06/2011, 10:27 AM
That fish is either really stupid, an adrenaline junkie, or suicidal.

sponger0
09/06/2011, 10:39 AM
That fish is either really stupid, an adrenaline junkie, or suicidal.

Maybe a blend of all 3 lol.

This is another story to share..kind of similar but for freshwater. My girlfriend had a tank and a really pretty cichlid and one day he just went missing. She was losing fish left and right due to it being an agressive tank. So no biggie. Well one day I decided to clean the gravel cause she thought that the gravel didnt need to be cleaned....ever....:debi:

And there was a small decorative pirate ship. Well I life it up to move it and clean the gravel underneath it, and low and behold this fish came out lol. Completely ghost white but total alive. An amazing survival story

Psirex
09/06/2011, 11:41 AM
how long had he been out of the tank?

abezr
09/06/2011, 12:39 PM
psirex- from past comments this is the second time that this fish jumped out... the first i was there watching it happen... second time from far i saw something move... came up to it and picked it up... no idea how long but its skin was VERY dry to the touch.. i thought he was a goner.. he was barely alive and this was the same fish...

just checked up on him hes eating very well, hanging out where ever his buddies go and scavenging the rocks for copepods so he looks good. i think he got into my skimmer a while back when my pump failed and waited for a new one...

Psirex
09/06/2011, 12:44 PM
I asked because I had a diamond goby get out on me and I flushed him thinking he was a goner he had been out like 12 hrs.... Just looking for a little info just incase it happens again

ryeguyy84
09/06/2011, 12:50 PM
lucky, I never seem to find my missing fish.

abezr
09/06/2011, 12:53 PM
no idea how long they can survive outside the aquarium but i would think that it would be a similar time frame as most saltwater fish...

jlanger
09/06/2011, 03:00 PM
Lesson is if you ever have a missing fish... check everywhere......

Similar thing happened here.

After spending a long weekend away at a hockey tournament, we returned that Sunday night and noticed that my son's six-line wrasse was missing.
When I did the water change and cleaning on Friday, I found the wrasse in his Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. It was just hanging out in the first chamber before the pump.
We assessed that since I had lowered the intake box a little to accommodate for evaporation over the weekend, the little wrasse swam over the teeth and got drawn into the skimmer.
Lucky... (Now he's turned into a bully. Ungrateful little...)

-JASON

ruiny
09/06/2011, 03:59 PM
I had a lyrtail anthais live in an overflow for a couple of mths.
When reintroduced to the tank he did just fine.
I found them to be very tough fish.