PDA

View Full Version : 20L needs some life in it

sweeper7
09/06/2011, 08:05 PM
I have a 20L with about 12 lbs of LR, 30lbs LS, 1 clownfish, 1 CC starfish, 1 Humbug Damsel but it is just a boring looking tank if not depressing.

I need to add some color/life to this tank but not sure with what or how.

I'd like to add some corals but they are extremely tiny and won't make much of a difference in this big tank when they are about the size of a quarter.

IndexKey
09/06/2011, 08:16 PM
Is this tank a FOWLR? If not, zoas are a great way for the beginner to add some color to their tank. Low light demanding, low flow and low maintenance. If it is a no coral tank, try looking at some inverts, lots of cool fish safe shrimp out there that can really make a tank pop, or even a porcelain crab. You could always try a clown goby or a wheeler goby, they're both colorful and peaceful guys that'll add some interest to a different level of your tank!

John

sweeper7
09/06/2011, 08:23 PM
right now its a FOWLER but I want to add corals and such 100% asap.

I have a Nova 2x24" T5 light fixture.

I'd like to add anything I can but definitely want to add corals.

Zoas are tiny though aren't they?

PS: where/how do I place these corals and where do most people buy them because petco sells them for nearly $40 for these 1 inch tall corals.

sweeper7
09/06/2011, 09:22 PM
when it says 1 head from 1.5" to 2" what does that mean exactly.

sporto0
09/06/2011, 09:30 PM
when it says 1 head from 1.5" to 2" what does that mean exactly.

Think of a head as a polyp, so 1 polyp around an inch & a half to two inches long.

angelofrapture
09/06/2011, 09:40 PM
Individual zoas are small, but you can get large colonies of them. Xenia is easy and a fast grower (it can take over if you don't keep it in check) - it can add a lot of interest quickly, especially if you get a pumping/pulsing type. Mushrooms are also easy spots of color - sizes, colors, and textures vary a lot. Depending on your lights, macroalgae is also a good way to add some color and variety.

sweeper7
09/06/2011, 09:42 PM
is Polyp the color flower head part?

so if its 2 inches, how long does it take to get pretty big where it may be around 4 inches or so?

iLLwiLL
09/06/2011, 10:14 PM
shop at a real pet store that specializes in saltwater fish and corals. check out yellowpages.com for locations, or look around for a good local reef club. craigslist is another great resource for cheap corals if you know what your looking for . . . $40 should get you a big leather or a big zoa colony or 2, or a bunch of mushrooms.

~Will.

sweeper7
09/07/2011, 01:19 PM
the guy at my LFS said that if I put corals in the tank that is 4-6 months established the corals will grow weekly.

sporto0
09/07/2011, 01:34 PM
is Polyp the color flower head part?

so if its 2 inches, how long does it take to get pretty big where it may be around 4 inches or so?

Yes it is the fleshy colored part of the coral or head/polyp. It just depends on the coral, some will grow larger in diameter, others will grow more smaller heads into a colony.

sponger0
09/08/2011, 08:12 AM
the guy at my LFS said that if I put corals in the tank that is 4-6 months established the corals will grow weekly.

Remember this and its a good word of advice. Your LFS guy is a sales man. They all are. Some will tell the truth and some will just tell you what you want to hear. People here are more interested in the hobby and keeping fish/corals/inverts alive. Use your judgement to determine if they are trying to give you advice or trying to just get you to buy something. I bought my first coral @ 6 weeks and they have grown and my system is less than 6 months old.

sweeper7
09/17/2011, 07:37 PM
well guys I bought my first 2 corals the other day, a Pulsing Xenia and a Green Tip Torch.

My tank however still needs color as I have the brown Diatom still present and my tank with the LR just looks super plain. lacks color big time.

Any recoommendations on waht to get next week?

sweeper7
09/17/2011, 07:42 PM
I am thinking of Red and Green Blastomussa but think it might grow TOO slow to make any impace.

sporto0
09/17/2011, 09:45 PM
The real color differential comes from SPS corals, true blues, purples, reds, pinks, orange, greens & neon greens, most other Soft & LPS corals will be tan, yellow, green & red.