PDA

View Full Version : Sea Star ID?

homegrownREEFER
09/07/2011, 06:26 AM
I have a picture which i'll try uploading, but if i can't get it up now ill upload it later on today when i get home since i am at work right now. Unless someone can tell me how to do it from an iPhone.

I just noticed the starfish last night for the first time since i set up my tank almost a month ago. Can't believe I actually spotted it, it's about the size of a dime, has 6 legs which are all proportionate, it's all white with what seems like a very thin pink line on each leg, and the legs on it are really fat and short, almost looks like the whole thing is round.

At first i didn't even think it was a star fish since it just looked like some of the live rock was chipped and white. So i started poking at it to see if i can move it around and i was able to wiggle it. The star has moved today so i'll try to find it again and snap another picture of it. Looks like it eats algea since the patch it was on had some algea on it, but i just wanted to make sure its ok. So let me know if you guys have any ideas until i can get a better picture and i'll try uploading the one i have now. Thanks!

Sugar Magnolia
09/07/2011, 07:20 AM
Could be an asterina starfish.

As far as the picute uploading, create a photobucket account on your iPhone - app is free. Save your image to photobucket and then select the IMG link and paste it to your post.

homegrownREEFER
09/07/2011, 08:05 AM
Could be an asterina starfish.

As far as the picute uploading, create a photobucket account on your iPhone - app is free. Save your image to photobucket and then select the IMG link and paste it to your post.

Thank You, I will give that a shot.

Looks like it could be a Asterina, but not sure. This one is more round with what look like little cuts that define each leg. Looks like its mostly body with very short but very thick 6 legs. Trying to see if i can match it to something through searches.