PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for SPS

prior20
09/07/2011, 12:09 PM
I currently have a 60g cube tank with some LPS, softies, and some monti. I am wanting to start getting into more SPS and would like to know the proper steps to getting there.

Right now, I have a single 150w 14k MH fixture. I have two koralia evos (750 gph and 1050 gph). I am getting a ReefKeeper Lite and putting these on the wavemaker setting. I run activated carbon and gfo. I do 10 gallon water changes every other week.

Currently my parameters run as follows:

Ammonia/Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH - around 7.9
Ca - around 400
Alk - 8
Phosphates - 0

I am seeking advice to get my parameters at optimum levels and keep them stable. I would like to (obviously) reduce nitrates to as close to 0 as possible and bump my pH and calcium up. Right now I am only using seachem buffers. What are the best and safest ways to reduce nitrate? I would also like some advice on calc/alk supplementation. I have been weighing the options of kalk, 2 part, and a calcium reactor. I would like to run a reactor and I like the aquamaxx cr-1 nano. What are your thoughts on what I should do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ChicagoReefOne
09/07/2011, 12:25 PM
What kind of skimmer are you running? Having a good and effective skimmer is essential for SPS.

dzhuo
09/07/2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the SPS world prior20!

What are the best and safest ways to reduce nitrate?

Efficient skimming, water change, carbon dosing, and macro algae are popular for N & P control. Lots of flow also help as it brings dirty water / debris etc to your skimmer and sump faster.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are new (and since you don't have a tank full of large SPS yet), I would suggest going with kalk initially (this will also help bring your pH up but 7.9 is nothing to worry about). Kalk should be all you need for at least 6 months to a year after which you can look into 2-part or a cal reactor.

How old is your tank?

prior20
09/07/2011, 12:37 PM
What kind of skimmer are you running? Having a good and effective skimmer is essential for SPS.

I am running a Reef Octopus NWB 110.

prior20
09/07/2011, 12:40 PM
My tank is just over a year old. From what I read, kalk maintains Ca and Alk rather than raising it. Is this correct? If it is then should I buffer them to the desired levels before i start using it?

cnote2991
09/07/2011, 12:47 PM
it can raise them, but to raise them very much would cause a large ph swing. it is generally best to get parameters where you want them then start dripping kalk. do frequent test at first to determine how fast to drip

danil
09/07/2011, 12:59 PM
The idea with kalk - you dose it with your ATO either from ATO tank or though kalk reactor. Works great for lower demand. Your evaporation rate is about the same so your parameters will stay about the same and that's what you need. When tank demand goes higher top off water is not enough anymore and you need to start supplement Alk first and then Calc too. That's time to move to other system.

dzhuo
09/07/2011, 01:00 PM
My tank is just over a year old. From what I read, kalk maintains Ca and Alk rather than raising it. Is this correct? If it is then should I buffer them to the desired levels before i start using it?

Kalk will raise alk and cal. If it can't, there is no way for you to maintain these levels. What most people really mean is kalk is not ideal to raise alk and cal because the solution is very weak (roughly 16x weaker than 2-parts). Your alk and cal should be fairly close to NSW already so I would just go with kalk for a few weeks to see where things are.

dzhuo
09/07/2011, 01:01 PM
it can raise them, but to raise them very much would cause a large ph swing.

Yup. Because kalk is relatively weak, you would need a lot fo raise alk and cal which isn't ideal since it would quickly raise pH as well.

JT3069
09/07/2011, 01:16 PM
Yall are spot on with the kalk business,
so for further info i would say buy lots of salt
to me water changes are the #1 thing when it comes to sps corals
i do (2) 5 gallon water changes a week on my tank (i have a heavy bio-load)
to keep everything in check, while also adding kalk to ato
and additional calc, and mag

on alk i run a ulns system so my alk it at 7 and water changes keep it from swinging

hope this helps

prior20
09/07/2011, 01:27 PM
Would it be better to do smaller weekly water changes or is it just preference?