PDA

View Full Version : Hydroponic Grow Lights vs AQUARIUM LIGHTING FIXTURES

leadsinker
09/07/2011, 12:52 PM
I WOULD LIKE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY DIFFERNCE IN AQUARIUM LIGHT FIXTURES (T5 / METAL HALIDES ) VS HYDROPONIC GROW LIGHT FIXTURES

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERNCES IN FIXTURES,BESIDE TYPES OF BULBS USED

CAN Hydroponic Grow Light BE USED FOR REEF LIGHTS

I HAVE NOTICED A DIFFERNCE IN PRICE, ATI COMPARED TO A SUNLIGHT SET UP

ANY HYDRO FIXTURES BETTER THAN OTHERS

THANKS

doctorgori
09/07/2011, 01:01 PM
I just so happen to retire mine after finally getting my ATI...

anyway, those "butterfly" reflectors you see aren't the greatest, nor would I light my tank with a 4200K bulb although I've done so....

however 5500-6500K bulbs do work, I've lit my tanks for the longest just with those...corals might not be the prettiest tho

...thing is; there are bulb/ballast combos that are supposed to produce optimum par for corals...moreover reflectors do matter...

tydtran
09/07/2011, 01:04 PM
I've asked this question before and the answer is that the hydroponic growth lights probably use a low quality LED. This means that they don't produce the same PAR/watt value that you can get using the LED's that are built into aquarium fixture. If the PAR/watt value is not high, then there may not be much efficiency/energy saving using these lights.

leadsinker
09/07/2011, 01:08 PM
So a fixtures is a fixture. I take the hdroyponic ones have cheaper reflectors?

Is any one out there using hydroponic set up

Eurobeaner
09/07/2011, 01:21 PM
There's a ton of difference. I used a 6 bulb t5 fixture meant for plants for te first 6 months... Put all ati bulbs in it. Then switch to a tek 6 bulb with the 6month old bulbs. Light output was Soooooooo much more intense and it bleached alot of stuff. Don't waste the money, then have to upgrade. I did that. With the same money into my 2 fixtures I had to buy, I could have purchased a ATI fixture which is top of the line

jtasmul1
09/07/2011, 01:34 PM
With both the only difference between the 2 are the color temperature. Most hydro lamps are in the 4500 to 6500k range as where in aquariums it is 10000k or higher. As for the ballast on both t5 and halides they are the same fire the same etc. In other words example
a electronic 250watt halide ballast will fire both the 5000k lamp and the 10000k lamp. as long as it is a 250watt halide lamp.
As for t5 same principal applies its all about the color temperature.as longs as lamps match wattage a hydro ballast will push a aquarium lamp.
Some say certain ballast (electronic vs. magnetic) burn bluer than the other, this may be true I have not compared this scenario myself just heard. But from a electrician point of view the ballast are the same the sockets are the same etc. the only differences are color temp., electronic vs magnetic, and reflector style used.

Eurobeaner
09/07/2011, 02:03 PM
Again, reflectors are the major HUGE difference. The reflectors on an ATI are highly specialized to direct every inch of the bulb downward into a tank. The hydro fixture is meant to spread light wide, and not very well. Plants are more forgiving than corals.

Unless you mean the sunlight supply TEK fixture. Then that fixture isn't too bad at all. I use it.

reef2
09/07/2011, 03:21 PM
as eurobeaner said those hydro light fixtures use crappy reflectors. yes they r cheaper but its for a reason. ballast and end caps r the same but the major difference is reflectors.

leadsinker
09/07/2011, 03:27 PM
so by replacing bulbs and doing some mod, adding indivual reflectors they are basicly the same

Eurobeaner
09/07/2011, 04:04 PM
dude..... what are you getting at?

take a turd and put some steak in it and its still a stinking pile of SH*T

leadsinker
09/07/2011, 06:11 PM
I WAS GIVEN A Hydrofarm’s T5 System 4X24 INCH FIXTURES. IT STILL FIRES UP BULBS.

I HAVE SOME EXTRA ICECAP 24 INCH CLIP ON REFLECTOR.

BUY SOME 2 X 10000K 2 X ANTICS AND I SHOULD BE GOOD

jtasmul1
09/07/2011, 07:43 PM
As long as the ballast can handle the new lamps then yes you should be fine. Just look at the ballast see the max wattage and compare it to lamps. I am not a t5 person I prefer halides, but a 13 year electrician. A ballast is a ballast, the only other concern I may have is that the end caps are sealed. I dont know too much about hydroponics lighting or aquarium t5, but with vho,s you need to get end caps for aquarium use, ones that cover where the lamps twist in and I would assume t5s are the same. Electricity and saltwater dont make a very good combination as most of us already know, at least I sure do.

Eurobeaner
09/07/2011, 07:50 PM
now it all makes sense. instead of asking it all like that.... why not just say "i got ****#*#* free, and i have reflectors, can i make it work?

doctorgori
09/08/2011, 10:39 AM
dude..... what are you getting at?

take a turd and put some steak in it and its still a stinking pile of SH*T

would you mind not posting this type of stuff while I got food in my mouth
(that made me laugh) :fun4:

Darkstar22
09/08/2011, 01:06 PM
Hydrofarm T5's are a good unit. I have one, and just replaced the grow bulbs with 10k, and actinics. They have nice polished single reflectors too.

leadsinker
09/08/2011, 03:25 PM
Hydrofarm T5's are a good unit. I have one, and just replaced the grow bulbs with 10k, and actinics. They have nice polished single reflectors too.

thanks Darkstarr22

finally some one with answer i have waiting for

TonyB13
11/26/2016, 09:56 AM
There's a ton of difference. I used a 6 bulb t5 fixture meant for plants for te first 6 months... Put all ati bulbs in it. Then switch to a tek 6 bulb with the 6month old bulbs. Light output was Soooooooo much more intense and it bleached alot of stuff. Don't waste the money, then have to upgrade. I did that. With the same money into my 2 fixtures I had to buy, I could have purchased a ATI fixture which is top of the line
Thanks love the answer. Very clear and responding exactly to what the question was.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

biecacka
11/26/2016, 11:18 AM
There is a coral farm here in Ohio that is testing the hydrofarm T5 units with good success thus far.

Corey