PDA

View Full Version : Sandsifting gobies?

RandyReefer
09/07/2011, 06:30 PM
I have a 22g reef and have a very dirty sandbed. I want to get a hardy sandsifter goby, that won't starve because there is not enough food in my little tank. I also have 2 spotcicntus clowns (A.bicinctus) that I plan on breeding when they get to that age, so the goby must be peaceful and sandsift ALOT!
Any idea of what goby I should get?
I also have a 3 inch rose bubble tip anemone.

AlexS95
09/07/2011, 06:35 PM
Reguardless of if you feed a lot, they will usually starve in captivity after depleting the sand beds. Just get some snails to help clean up. :thumbsup:

KRBNSOL
09/07/2011, 06:36 PM
I have a Sleeper Gold Head (lemon head) goby. It does a lot of tank landscaping and sand sifting. The only fish it has an "issue" with is the firefish. The goby and the clowns get along just fine. Good luck in your search!

rudyretama
09/07/2011, 06:39 PM
signal gobies are active sandsifters. they're also small and quite peaceful, perfect for nano tanks, however they love to dig and build little caves under rocks. diamond gobies and bullet gobies are a bit bigger and more active, however mine used to shift about a cup and a half of sand per day to one spot of the tank, which eventually got annoying to have to level the sand every day.

KRBNSOL
09/07/2011, 06:40 PM
I found out after buying that lemon headed goby that there could be issues with the fish starving to death as well. It was really concerning at first, but now that fish is the HOG of the tank and feeds greedily on flake and mysis. My fish may be the exception to the rule, but thought I'd throw it out there.

skraj011
09/07/2011, 11:11 PM
The Diamond Watchman Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) is a terrific sand sifter. Make sure you have a tight fitting cover. They jump.

romsoccer12
09/08/2011, 10:56 AM
signal gobies are hard to keep
most sandsifters like sleepers or diamond gobies wont survive such a small system
try a YWG or a pistol shrimp
both clean the sand bed

RandyReefer
09/08/2011, 06:52 PM
signal gobies are hard to keep
most sandsifters like sleepers or diamond gobies wont survive such a small system
try a YWG or a pistol shrimp
both clean the sand bed
I have seen alot of picture of yellow watchmans and theyseem to get very big for my tank. Im looking for something small, that will eat normal fish food, sandsift, and will be peaceful with my breeding clownfish?