PDA

View Full Version : Crack in Frame - Tank okay?

rogermccray
09/07/2011, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, I was looking at a tank and I saw this crack in the frame and wanted to know if this is going to be a structural problem.

Here is the crack:
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/rogermccray/crack.jpg

Here is the FTS:
If you look on the top left of the frame you can see where the white spot is located...

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n618/rogermccray/2011-09-07201745.jpg

peppie
09/07/2011, 08:28 PM
I am not a tank trim expert, but the trim was installed on that tank for structural support. If the trim is compromised , then I am thinking the tanks structure is also compromised.

IMO I would not fill it with water inside my house until a fix has been arranged

pmark
09/07/2011, 09:28 PM
I agree, the crack would only get worse. The center brace cracked on my old 55 gallon and the tank bowed 1/4". I had to drain most of the water out and ordered a replacement frame from a LFS. I forgot the part number but the LFS ordered it from Aqueon aka All Glass Aquariums and it was around $15.

Use a razor blade to cut the existing frame in half from the top, then slide the blade itself around the inside and outside of the trim to cut the silicone. Do not use a screw driver or you risk putting too much pressure on one part of the glass and cracking it. Patience is key. Once you've removed the trim, clean up the glass and remove excess silicone. Apply a bead of new silicone on the top of the glass all around and put the new frame on. Weight it down with something and should set in 24 hours.

PRDubois
09/08/2011, 12:45 AM
If the tank is empty I would just replace it now. When the center brace on my 72gal bow cracked there was a 3/4" gap. Lots of preasure on the frount glass of a bow tank.

New trim is cheep

rogermccray
09/08/2011, 05:29 AM
Well thankfully it is not filled up, I go to pick it up today. Since it will be empty I will purchase a new frame and replace it before I get started.

crichard6069
09/08/2011, 08:27 AM
Pop the existing piece off and use some jb cold weld and put it back together.. I would imagine JB Cold weld will work fine. I've used it before and its pretty solid stuff. Can pick it up at places like advanced auto parts, etc..

rogermccray
09/08/2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to try to find the part, but if I can't find it then I will try the jb cold weld.

dzfish17
09/08/2011, 02:03 PM
I had a crack like that on a 240g tank. I used some kind of 2 part glue (could have been jb weld) with a 2500 lb strength. I didnt take the trim off I just pulled the two pieces apart and worked in the glue. After it dried I sanded it down and repainted the trim. The tank was fine for the 4/5 yrs that I had it set up.

rogermccray
09/08/2011, 04:55 PM
I had a crack like that on a 240g tank. I used some kind of 2 part glue (could have been jb weld) with a 2500 lb strength. I didnt take the trim off I just pulled the two pieces apart and worked in the glue. After it dried I sanded it down and repainted the trim. The tank was fine for the 4/5 yrs that I had it set up.

Awwesome, the jd cold weld has a tensile strength of 3500 so, I think I may go that route. Especially if I have trouble finding the part.

rogermccray
09/09/2011, 07:56 AM
wow, i dont think i fully appreciated the size of this tank until i got it in the house.