PDA

View Full Version : New lights, algae out of control!

pcabinetry
09/07/2011, 06:56 PM
I had 2 250 watt metal halides on my 150 gallon tank. I had neglected replacing the bulbs for a while and they were getting pretty dim. After seeing the new LED lighting I replaced my halides with 3 120 watt units and i love them. The only problem is that I have a terrible algae bloom now. I think its mostly diatom algae but there is sum cyano. It started out just on the sand but now its on alot of my rock and some of it it is starting to get thick and fuzzy. A few threads that i've read say just do frequent water changes and it will eventually go away. All of my parameters are good. Anyone have any advice?

aaronnohren
09/07/2011, 07:12 PM
IME anyone who says parameters are "good" doesn't know exactly what they are. Just my experience.

pcabinetry
09/07/2011, 07:48 PM
Thanx for the help aaronnohren

yellowRubi
09/07/2011, 08:23 PM
Do u have a GFO? How about cheato in ur sump?

pcabinetry
09/07/2011, 09:29 PM
no i dont have either in my sump. do the GFO pads work well?

Toddrtrex
09/07/2011, 10:16 PM
What are your actual parameters?

Lights alone will not cause the algae, need excess nutrients in the tank first. Fix the issue with the excess nutrients, and the algae will/should go away.

jbannick18
09/07/2011, 10:19 PM
Your parameters such as nitrates/phosphates will also test low because the nuisance algae is using them to grow.

pcabinetry
09/08/2011, 09:10 PM
i was running a korralin nitrate filter and my nitrates were 0 but all of my coraline algae was dieing and i thought it may be because of a byproduct of the nitrate filter. my new dsb had plenty of time to be established so i decided to turn the filter off to see if my nitrates would stay down and to see if my coraline algae would start growing again. I just did a 20 gallon water change last night and as of today my nitrate tests 5ppm. I dont have a phosphate test kit. maybe a good crop of cheato in my sump may help solve my problem. has anyone else using the koralin nitrate filter noticed any decrease of coraline algae?